- - - - -

Eagle Heights

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_squirrelann_*

Guest_squirrelann_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:03 PM

Eagle Heights bird of prey center Eynesford Kent, please if anyone is planning a visit, the torts there are in an appalling enclosure there are 3 sulcatas and a leopard in an area about 6ft triangle we went there a few weeks back, I spoke to them, emailed them and reported them to Sevenoaks council but so far havn,t had any replies, so got in touch with A Highfield T Trust but need a photo and more complaints to do anything, I didn,t get a photo because after haveing spoken to them they were watching us, so please if anyone is going or has been and has a photo get in touch with the Tortoise Trust, tortoisetrust@aol.com, these poor things have been there for several years as there have been complaints in the past, the birds are lovely and well looked after but the torts were given to them and they obviously either don,t care or don,t want to know, they had either dirt or dirty sand a water dish and that was it and enough space to walk a few steps in either direction, I was told the sulcatas are only about 8 so still have more growing to do, hope its ok to post this on here as I can,t sleep thinking about them, theres a web site www.eagleheights.co.uk

#2 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2007 - 04:44 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 21-07-07 AT 05:01 PM (GMT)]thanks for bringing this to our attention. I have visited their website and sent them an email threatening to report them etc unless they sepreated the torts and gave them the decent sized enclosures they need. Including clean water.

i wish i lived closer to Kent as i would go there armed with my camera and care sheets. Hopefully theres someone who lives within a reasonable distance of it or even in Kent.

fingers crossed

#3 Guest_squirrelann_*

Guest_squirrelann_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2007 - 04:54 PM

I had a reply from them this morning saying they are building a bigger enclosure but at least 2 people from another forum visited there about 8 years ago and the conditions were similar they were different torts then so maybe they died anyway the enclosure obviously won,t be built they said they don,t have the funding but why they don,t just rehome them if they can,t afford to keep them, the sulcattas are about 8 yrs old and big now but they,ve still a lot of growing to do and the enclosure is literally about 3 times their length, 3 sulcattas and a leopard, A Highfield has had a copy of their reply and says they can do something about it but need proof first, actually the place is well worth a visit if you like birds of prey because they are lovely and well looked after the torts were rehomed with them having outgrown their owners who would probably be very upset if they saw them like that.

#4 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2007 - 12:51 PM

I just had a reply back from them

"Firstly there are 3 African Spurred (two of which are recent arrivals & one of which is small) and 2 Leopards. The 2 Horsefield Tortoises have been re-homed as opposed to the slanderous accusation by Ann Simpson that they probably died through neglect. Also as for the conditions being cruel that is nonsense, they have purely outgrown their enclosure and the outdoor enclosure is nearly finished despite the fact that Ann Simpson thinks I am lying!

The present area of the enclosure is 50 square feet and they have fresh water, not that this is something they have constant access to in their natural habitat. Ann Simpson also feels that our staff are incapable of lifting them out of the enclosure, this again is nonsense, they are taken out daily to graze.

I do not have time to get into protracted exchanges over this matter and I am fully aware of the requirements of the species in our care plus I have studied most of them in the wild including African Spurred in TíChad and Cameroon.

You may contact whoever you see fit.

Alan Ames."

#5 Guest_squirrelann_*

Guest_squirrelann_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:42 PM

Thanks for showing the email that you received, firstly the torts were Sulcatas I asked the keeper if they were and she said yes, secondly at a rough guess they must weigh 50 odd pounds each and the man who I spoke to said that they difficulty getting them out of the enclosure because of the weight, these are big tortoises, there was one leopard that we could see in with them agian fairly big but I don,t know how big they get, I don,t know my breeds very well but I don,t think spurs get that big these were yellowish colour with the raised scutes, I met someone who has a Sulcata which was why I thought thats what they are, I could hardly lift hers and these are bigger than that, the enclosure they were in is a triangle shape with the long side at the front about 6 - 8 ft long theres no way that its 50 square feet, but we will try to get there again to take a photo if they have moved them then I didn,t see anywhere much bigger the biggest reptile enclosure had a camen in it and there was nowhere outside, I haven,t received that email so maybe its on its way to me,

#6 Guest_squirrelann_*

Guest_squirrelann_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:10 PM

Hi its me again I don,t want to sound daft but isn,t 50 square foot about what I said, don,t you multipy the length by the width, which would mean an area of say 10ft by 5ft well we just walked it out on the lawn and its tiny, if you think of 3 sulcatas each maybe up to 24inch long plus a leopard, I said we thought the front of the triangle was maybe 6 - 8ft long, some people on here build that size enclosure for 1 baby not 4 adults, its not very big if you measure it out Ive had bigger rabbit runs.

#7 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:35 PM

i didnt quote the length you told me i just said that it wasnt an acceptable space.

I also didnt complain about the presence of water, just that it was soiled, it seems he is a little too exasperated to read my email properly. Anyway i emailed him back again saying that i didnt have a clue who this Ann woman was so why did he keep mentioning her. He then sent me all the emails he has ever received from her.

well im glad that you have the chance to go and take pics. Post them up on here if its ok with the TT

#8 Guest_squirrelann_*

Guest_squirrelann_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:57 PM

Do you think I,m right about 50square feet, I thought it sounded big untill we went and measured it on the lawn

#9 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2007 - 09:45 PM

im not sure about the square foot but i pray to god its not 6ft. My 1 year old is in a 5ft tortoise table. Let alone 24inch sulcatas!!

when are you visiting this place?

#10 Guest_squirrelann_*

Guest_squirrelann_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:34 PM

I looked it up and believe that African Spurs and Sulcatas are the same I just know them as Sulcatas though, my book says they can grow to be 120lbs, I actually don,t think they should be sold in this country because how many people have the facilitys to look after something that big, the book also says they can dig a 20foot tunnel, I don,t know when one of us can try to get a photo I,m pretty certain they,d recognise me if not hubby and I,m inclined to lose my temper over something like that and my only hope is that someone from this area will be going there for a visit, hubby will try sometime, I don,t want to let it drop though people shouldn,t have such animals if they are underfunded or whatever theres no excuse for keeping animals like that and I,d be ashamed to have them on show if they were mine, I,d hoped that the council would have sent someone around but haven,t heard anything and didn,t know who else to get in touch with surely places like that must have inspectors if I knew who did that job maybe they could help, I don,t hold a lot of respect for the RSPCA as they don,t know a lot about reptiles and don,t have a lot of power they also have to let them know when they are calling which defeats the whole point of going.you saw my emails I don,t think they went to far there was only 2 of them, its hard to be objective over something you feel strongly about.

#11 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2007 - 12:28 AM

Ah your Anne! Yes there are only two emails but he included his replies so i thought there were more. I dont think they were unreasonable and were actually fairly polite.

I think its ridiculous that his case is that he is underfunded. Why on earth keep them then! Especially Sulcatas! A lot of people have come on here saying they want a Sulcata and they have always been warned away from them, even when they argued that they had all the appropriate conditions. Isnt it right that they need almost an entire garage size heating room? how do they expect to do this?

Are there no Chelonia organisations in the area?

#12 Guest_squirrelann_*

Guest_squirrelann_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:04 AM

I only received one email from him, I know nothing about the requiments for sulcatas but do know they don,t hibernate, I think a lot of people get a hatchling of any breed and don,t really think ahead I,m all for keeping torts outside and think that most tortoise breeds would eventually be to big for a tortoise table, my 2 iberas both weigh nearly 5 lbs and I wouldn,t want them in the house let alone the giant breeds, he says they have outgrown their enclosure but that takes years so they must have know they,d need somewhere big for them and if they don,t have the money ( I think they can,t be bothered) to build somewhere then they shouldn,t have them, they spend enough on their birds, if he knows the enclosure is to small then why say they are new additions you would,nt take them if you had no where for them, it all boils down to money and he knows they are attractions for his place, I think they went to our local Asda last year for something to do with the carnival or similar I knew there were "giant" torts attending from the local paper so he,s had them that long at least, how would I find out about any tortoise groups in my area, we are new to kent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users