- - - - -

tortoise not eating

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_yellow shell_*

Guest_yellow shell_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:48 PM

our tortoise (horsfield) hasn't eaten for 11 days, we were thinking that he was getting ready for hibernation due to the bad weather is there a cause for concern?

#2 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:19 AM

tortoises can go many weeks without eatig so 11 days is not along time. however, you don't really want the tort starving itself in preparation for hibernation at such an early time. How old/big is your tort? if possible I would bring the tort in during the bad weather and house in an indoor enclosure if possible. Bathe every day in wamr water for 20mins and offer a range of foods (including some naughty stuff e.g. strawberries (just to get it eating).

My 3yr old hermann is a very stubborn young lady. I bathe her and then put her under the heat lamp in an enclosure to warm her up and provide a range of foods and she just walks off, so now if i know she hasnt eaten for a week or so i bathe her and then put her in a 1ft by 2ft box with 60w lamp so that she has no choice but to warm up, after about 20mins she gives in and eats. once she has eaten all she wants i switch the light off and pop her back outside. she marches around quite happiuly outside but even in hot days liek we had last summer she doesnt eat that much.

#3 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2007 - 04:27 PM

A healthy tort wont starve itself and as Jade said 11 days is nothing. Adding naughty food is a good idea, though make sure its few and far between- these foods are naughty because they are addictive (amongst other things), you dont want to take your tort off the good stuff.

Keep him nice and warm, warm baths, and bring him inside so you can control his temps. A warm tort means a more active one. An active tort will be more curious and should at least have a good sniff of the food.

Again, as Jade said, variety is the spice of life and you need to make sure he has plenty to choose from. I know this can be a pain but Shirley( the Jersey breeder) sells bags of edible flowers on ebay for next to nothing. They last pretty long in the fridge too and Sven goes made for all the colours so its worth a go! i think her ebay name is shirlthewirl.....

#4 Guest_yellow shell_*

Guest_yellow shell_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:22 PM

Thanks for your suggestions i'll warm him up now and try him with some "naughty" foods. he is 3 and a half by the way.:-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users