opuntia cactus

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_maz_*

Guest_maz_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2007 - 04:44 PM

Hi All,
Can someone please clarify what opuntia cactus is and if it is good for leopards to eat, I am a bit confused at the moment as I have asked at the local garden centre and they dont have a clue what it is:( .
Also is the crassula cactus the one we sometimes call the money plant, and if so is this ok to eat,I darent offer any to my two until I am 100% sure .Hoping someone out there can help:o
Many regards Maz xxxx

#2 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2007 - 06:11 PM

Hi Maz

I'm not sure about leopards cos not really up on knowledge about these, but I know the med species can eat opuntia. A lot of garden centres dont grow it. Your in the states arent you? I would have sent you one otherwise. Dont want my wrists slapped sending into the states tho :P

Same goes with the money tree/ jade plant. I believe most cactuses are ok for med species including aloe vera, but only really as an occasional thing. mine have a couple in their enclosure but only nibble every now and then anyway :D oh and sedum (ice plant too)

the pic is of an opuntia. you can get ones with spines and ones without :D

#3 Guest_maz_*

Guest_maz_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2007 - 03:09 PM

Hi Jade,
:D
Thanks for your reply about this cactus, it's much appreciated,
I dont live in the states Jade although with all this lousy weatherx( it might be a good idea to move over there;) no we live in good old west yorkshire.:) If this rain keeps coming it might be a good idea to build an ark;-) Thanks again .
Many regards
Maz xxxx

#4 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:05 PM

hee hee sory maz,

got u confused with another maz who was on one of the forums who is frot he states :D

#5 Guest_squirrelann_*

Guest_squirrelann_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:21 PM

I spent ages removing the spikes from a peice of the cactus then from my fingers only for all my torts to totally turn their noses up at it, maybe they missed the prikles I didn,t they kept pricking me for days, never again

#6 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:12 PM

yeah tell me about it. my baby was eating it the other day no probs i touch it and i got loads of really fine spines in me. one got stuck for few days :S was not nice at all

#7 Guest_maz_*

Guest_maz_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2007 - 02:58 PM

Hi All
Thanks for all your replies:-) I think I will keep off the cactus after reading of your sore fingers,I will just keep to the safe food, good old weeds:9 there is an abundance this year due to the rain. Just given em a bath and they look lovely, wish I knew how to put a photo on the forum.
I am going to try again soon so fingers crossed:D
Luv Maz:-) xxxx

#8 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:56 PM

Hi everyone - sorry I haven't been around for a few days. The really fine spines are called glochids, and you can almost get rid of them without getting lots in you (notice I said 'almost' ). The thing to do is to cut a chunk of a pad off and hold it with tweezers. With a cigarette lighter burn the big spines and as many of the glochids off as you can, and then either wearing heavy rubber gloves, or using the back of a spoon, scrape the rest of the glochids off. And voila! (but you'll still probably have some glochids to remove from your fingers - they are sneaky devils .

Nina
http://pets.groups.y...rotectionGroup/
http://pets.groups.y...roup/Turtlesco/

#9 Guest_maz_*

Guest_maz_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2007 - 03:12 PM

Cheers Nina for that advice,:-) might give it a go IF I can find a garden centre that sells em round here, or even knows what one is:D
Luv Maz

#10 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2007 - 05:00 PM

Most of the big garden centres will have them, Maz, in the indoor plants section. Often they aren't labelled as opuntia (just cactus), but if they have those big round or teardrop shaped pads like in the picture posted above, then they will be opuntia (there are some opuntia that look less like that, but most of them are similar).

Nina
http://pets.groups.y...rotectionGroup/
http://pets.groups.y...roup/Turtlesco/

#11 Guest_andrew b 1_*

Guest_andrew b 1_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2007 - 10:09 AM

with opuntia cacti, you have to burn the prickles with a lighter then peel off the skin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users