Speckled and Pyramiding

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sarahlee110_*

Guest_sarahlee110_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2007 - 10:16 PM

Hi everyone,

I am a bit concerned about my tortoise as i believe his shell is starting to pyramid. When i first got him, i took him to the vet and she said his shell was slightly pyramiding but that it wasn't anything to worry about at this stage, but i think it may be getting worse. Also, his shell seems to have little speckles of light colour dotted about all over his shell. Does this mean that he's not getting enough calcium in his diet?? Does anyone recognise these problems and how can i remedy them before they get any worse??

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm at a loss of what to do.

Thanks,
Sarah

#2 Guest_ellie_*

Guest_ellie_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2007 - 07:46 PM

Hi

I think its just a case of slowing everything down. Dont over feed make sure you have sufficient uv and apply some calcium supplement a couple of times a week. Feed only on weeds.

Im no expert and im sure others will add to this .

El:7

#3 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2007 - 08:23 PM

back the above. can you post a piccy for us?

#4 Guest_sarahlee110_*

Guest_sarahlee110_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2007 - 08:51 PM

Thanks so much both of you!! I was worried i wasn't feeding him enough. He goes outside nearly every day when its warm and he's definately put on weight. Should i sometimes keep him inside to stop him eating every day?

I will take some pictures tomorrow and will post them on as soon as i can.

Thanks again!
Sarah
xxx

#5 Guest_ellie_*

Guest_ellie_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:21 PM

Hi

Same gos for me ....

Does anyone know if this would help. If you put them out for the day while at work then you have no idea what they have eaten. But maybe being in almost the same kind of surroundings as the wild, would they only eat as much as they need. How do they manage thier own diet.??

Was a question i was thinking about too.

el;)

#6 Guest_squirrelann_*

Guest_squirrelann_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:26 AM

Mine are out everyday all day they don,t eat all the time they,ll have a nibble wander and sleep, I think the overfeeding comes from putting food in front of them and that they know thats all they,ll get and so will eat the lot, if they are allowed to eat naturally they will only eat when they need to, but having said that mine have old established grass and weeds no extra plants such as pansies etc, I don,t think they would find them in the wild, I do give them extra such as a bit of tomatoe, cucumber etc when its really hot and dry but most of the time they only get what they can find, they all are doing well and I,ve never had any problems with them, if they don,t come out then they don,t eat so they naturally regulate themselves, I know some people have a day of no food so mine are getting that without me doing it but most days they will put in an appearence, also because they have very large areas they are moving around and getting the excersise they need to utilize the food intake.

#7 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:02 AM

I have been told that in the wild they often go days, soetimes even a week or so without food. Food is scarce so they eat it when they can but obviously in between they are marching along burning it off as well.

All of mine graze during the day and then I feed them every 2-3 days, usually every three days. They still gain weight but very slowly. I'm not saying mine are perfect either by any means. 2 of mine I made mistakes with with the viv and wrong doet and the others all came to me lumpy bumpy so the only smooth ones I have are my old spurs and my baby hermanns. With my babies I am being very careful to only feed every 3 days when they are outside as they munch away out there. :P greedy little creatures

#8 Guest_squirrelann_*

Guest_squirrelann_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2007 - 01:20 PM

I also think that when soley fed by the owner that the food is probably the best ie we pick the best looking weeds, flowers plants etc and these are much higher in sugars and richness than the tough old weeds that these animals would come accross in their native countries, most of the year these places are like deserts so anything growing isn,t going to have much nutritional value mainly fibre so that may be why you don,t get pyramiding in wild torts and a very slow growth rate compared with captive animals, they may come accross the odd fig or date on the floor at the right time of year or flowering plants but never all year round so these extras would be real treats, for me its hard not to give them to many extras and they do get the odd lettuce leaf, strawberry etc but I know I shouldn,t and that they wouldn,t have these luxury,s in nature but then we spoil all the animals we choose to keep as pets its impossible to replicate say southern spain, africa or greece etc in a country where we are naturally greener so we just have to do our best.

#9 Guest_sarahlee110_*

Guest_sarahlee110_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:14 PM

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for all the advice. I've been putting Sheldon outside as normal, only not for the past few days coz the weathers been grotty and just leaving him to graze naturally. I used to always give him some extra when i brought him back in but i stopped now and he just eats whats outside unless its nasty weather and i put him some in his pen inside.

I've tried uploading some pictures but i seem to be having trouble and just keep getting a script error coming back at me, so sorry guys but no piccies, unless i finally manage to get it to work.

Cheers!
Sarah
xx

#10 Guest_squirrelann_*

Guest_squirrelann_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2007 - 02:35 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 16-08-07 AT 02:37 PM (GMT)]Theres nothing wrong with giving treats as long as thats what they are occassional treats its far easier to over feed than under feed, mine will even come out in the wind and rain and seem to come to no harm, the hermans don,t seem to mind whatever the weather more not like the spurs although they do come out as well, Iv,e had the heat lamp on in their houses for a while in the mornings just to warm them up they seem to like this, it wakes them and brings them out, Tootsie my adult spur got caught in the rain the other day it was funny as she was in the middle of the enclosure and it really rained hard she sat there everything in her shell for a while poked her head out got hit on the head by a raindrop and I,ve never seen her move so fast for shelter, but as long as they have somewhere dry and warm the weather doesn,t seem to bother them that much although I will go and put the babies ( hermans) in their house if they,ve been out in the rain for long as they get to cold to make there way back by themselves, it takes them about 15 mins to make it from one end of their area to the other so they sit where they are and just get colder, I think theyre glad of a lift.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users