- - - - -

help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ivyboo1108_*

Guest_ivyboo1108_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2007 - 02:06 PM

Hi, I have 3 leopard torts. 2 are I think 11 months and the other is about 8months. On the 8 month old his shell seems to be getting softer. How can I fix this? Besides that they are doing very well!

#2 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2007 - 11:56 PM

hi there

are you giving supplements (nutrabol) and have they got a cuttle fish in their enclosure to nibble on at their own will?

also uv is the other main thing. Remember if they are inside they need a uv light, most of these have a max lifespan of 6mths although the combined heat/uv lights can last up to 2yrs i believe.

also veing outside a smuch as poss is also key because we cant replicate the suns natural uv :)

#3 Guest_andrew b 1_*

Guest_andrew b 1_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2007 - 05:27 PM

or reptivite

#4 Guest_ivyboo1108_*

Guest_ivyboo1108_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:04 PM

I give them calcium and TNT on their greens. I have a 10.0 uv light that probably is pretty close to 6 months old. I used to take them outside every day but someone told me they were to young so I dont take them out as much now. I will have to start taking them out more. The nutrabol I have never heard of. I will have to get some. Is that just some kind of vitamin that they need? I wonder if that is in the TNT that I buy?
Thank you!

#5 Guest_maz_*

Guest_maz_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2007 - 09:18 AM

HI Iviboo
I have two leopards and they get plenty of nutrobol on their greens and have cuttlefish to nibble on, this also helps to keep their beaks trimmed. They do go outside when the weather is hot which is very rare this year,I have noticed though that they dont like windy weather so I dont put them out then:( A good uv light is essential. I would definitely keep an eye on their shells and if they get any softer I would get them to a good vet who knows about torts:-) good luck and keep us all posted:)

Luv Maz xxxx

#6 Guest_pies_*

Guest_pies_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2007 - 03:39 PM

My two Spur Thigh's don't like the wind either, so I've been using a plastic cloche from B & Q (about 5.00). I cut it into two open ended shelters. This gives them shelter from rain & wind. Both sit under them, especially in the morning, when they first emerge from the hide. Being plastic, it's safer than glass and can be pegged down. Pegs are supplied with the cloche. I know glass absorbs UV rays, so not alot of good, but to be honest, I don't know about these plastic cloches. I've asked if they alow UV rays through, or if, like glass, they filter it out, but nobody seems to know. Perhaps someone here has the answere??? But it does help to enable them to stay out in the fresh air when it's not so sunny.

#7 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:13 PM

Hi Ivyboo,
Is the TNT you are using from Carolina Pet Supply? I use that too, but it's not a vitamin supplement like Nutrobal, it is composed of dried weeds and flowers and is a good food supplement, especially in the winter. Nutrobal (and Reptivite) are calcium and vitamin supplements containing Vitamin D3, which tortoises need to metabolise calcium (outdoors they get this from the sun, but when kept inside they need the supplement). Are you in the States? I can't remember what the comparable supplement to Nutrobal is there.

Hi Pies,
The UVB won't go through the plastic cloche, unfortunately, just as it won't go through glass. There is a plastic that it will go through - I think it is acryllic, but it's quite expensive.

Nina
http://pets.groups.y...rotectionGroup/
http://pets.groups.y...roup/Turtlesco/

#8 Guest_pies_*

Guest_pies_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:02 AM

Hi Lepinsky,

Thanks for that. I'll have to look into acryllic sheets. I found a company named 'Arial' who make plastic building materials. Soon as I get a min, I'll find the web site & contact them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users