- - - - -

Should I separate them

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_pies_*

Guest_pies_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:30 AM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 18-09-07 AT 10:34 AM (GMT)]I have 2 Med. Spur thighs (sisters from the same clutch). I will be hibernating them for the 1st time this year, they are 4yrs old. I plan to put them in the garage (the car has been bannished for months now) in an outer box made from hardboard fixed to a euro pallet (120 x 80 cms), lined with polystyrene & a small mesh covered vent at each end and a loose fitting top. The pallet will keep the box clear of the concrete foor. The inner box will be cardboard, unsealed top & bottom, & stood on a polystyrene block to allow CO2 to escape from the bottom & fresh air in through the top. I'll use hemp for bedding. I'll check on them every week or so. This should help refresh the air in the box.
I've stopped giving them their treats (No more fruit) & increased the vitamins to 3 times a week. I've done all the visual checks (as in the Tortoise Trust guide) and all looks well, but I'm taking them to the vet for a check-up just to be on the safe side.
My questions are:
1) They have always been together, but should I put them in separate boxes for hibernation?
2) Should I put a vent in the inner box?
3) I've been using shreded newspaper for bedding. My local pet shops don't keep hemp. Any ideas where I can get some? (SE London/Kent boarders)
4) Do my plans sound OK?
Eeee gads! this hibernation business is going to be stressful!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users