Advice needed - Horsfield tortoise wont wake up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_no2kimbo_*

Guest_no2kimbo_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2007 - 07:30 PM

Hi peeps
I have a 5 year old Horsfield tortoise who we have had for a year now, he lives in an open table top enclosure with a uv light and heat lamp in one corner (set to 28-30C). Well the problem is this past few weeks he has not been very active and we have had to wake him up to feed him and bath him everyday, then he goes straight back to sleep! He is too small to hibernate and I am worried that if he does decide to hibernate he would not survive, is this normal behaviour for this time of year and is there anything we can do to stop him doing it? Any advice would be apreciated, thanks.

#2 Guest_yellow shell_*

Guest_yellow shell_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 06:33 PM

This is normal behaviour at this time of year, he is ready to hibernate. Don't feed him for two weeks (it is being cruel to be kind, if he has food in his stomouch when goes to hibernate it will go mouldy.)

We hibernated our Horsfield when he was 2 years old. As long as the tortoise is a good weight and kept in the right conditions he will be fine.

I hope this helps and good luck

#3 Guest_no2kimbo_*

Guest_no2kimbo_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:12 PM

whats a good weight for a 5 year old horfield?

#4 Guest_Jo_1984_*

Guest_Jo_1984_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:36 PM

Horsfield torts are only awake for approx 3 months of the year in the wild, so hibenration is important for this species.
Someone created some kind of ratio for horsfield torts, was it the macintyre ratio or something? Maybe someone has a link?
Whats his SCL and weight?
Jo x

#5 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:59 PM

Hi,
My horsefield tort wakes up in the morning for his feed but then burrows deep down and then i have to encourage him to come out and i give him a bath and then his treat and then he has walk abouts in the kitchen while i prepare evening meal so he can have some exercise and then he goes back in his table top home and goes back to sleep and i turn his lights off early evening.
Jay and (H):D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users