- - - - -

Neglect in garden centre

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ladybird_*

Guest_ladybird_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2007 - 09:21 PM

My family and I went to a local garden centre today. as ever I popped in to see the tortoises. There were 2 young spur thigh approx 7cm shell length. They were in a 1m /.5m viv. 1/3 no lights, it looked cooler. They had fresh salad leaves to eat.
There were small beetles (Approx 4mm) throughout the substrate. One had dried white substance on a rear leg (I presumed urine.... though my Hermanns have NEVER managed that trick!) and they, in my opinion were acting strangley. Both torts were lying splayed out ,head out and lying on the substrate. Is this normal spur thigh resting? They were not moving. My Hermanns, if too hot move to cooler areas, dig down and retract in there shells if too warm.
I spoke to the "Reptile Man" as I was so concerned. He said the beetles were flower beetles, you get them when you have reptiles (I DON'T), Tortoise urine is "Harmless", isn't the white residue some sort of acid? and the torts were enjoying a sleep after the food he had given them....my 6 year old asked me what was wrong with the torts "are they dead?" I have tried to investigate flower beetles the only one I have found looks nothing like the many I saw. I left the store feeling upset.

#2 Guest_courtneysmum_*

Guest_courtneysmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:02 AM

Sue x

#3 Guest_courtneysmum_*

Guest_courtneysmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:08 AM

Oh dear I know how you feel,we have two pet shops near us and both have 2 - 3 yr old torts..mostly spur thighed and hermans, they are also in viv's with heat mats lamps and salad and both only have newspaper as their bed not even shredded!But what do you do!
Sue x

#4 Guest_Jo_1984_*

Guest_Jo_1984_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:31 PM

You could always report them to the Tortoise protection group, if you search on this forum you should be able to find the link :)
Jo x

#5 Guest_ladybird_*

Guest_ladybird_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:57 PM

I DO want to contact a welfare group, do you think the things I saw are sufficiently neglegent?
Has anyone else got beetles in with their torts?
Would urine left on a leg damage the skin?

#6 Guest_courtneysmum_*

Guest_courtneysmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2007 - 03:31 PM

Sue x Not got anything 'alive' in my tort tables and no wet legs!They should have a greater knowledge of torts before they take them on. Going back to my quible (see message) I did pretend I wanted to purchase a tort and asked for a caresheet, beleive it or not it was off internet so it was all good, so I queiried why they don't follow care sheet advice and they said not enough staff to clear beds out etc..RUBBISH!!!!:(

#7 Guest_pies_*

Guest_pies_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2007 - 12:41 PM

If they don't have the staff, they shouldn't have the animals. It's as simple as that.
As for the Flower Beetle, this is an African rain forest beetle. I would question this insects' ability to survive in the same conditions as a tort. But if it is a Flower Beetle, then it is an addmision of their lack of care, since it lives on rotting vegetation. It has probably got into this garden centre in the pots of imported exotic house plants. It might be worth considering contacting DEFRA. This may be a notifiable infestation, or at least, DEFRA my want to know about importers who neglect their duty to protect the enviornment from non native species.
Otherwise a quick call to the local press will often shame such retailers into action.
The white on these torts legs are probably urates. As they are on paper, their urine will soak into the paper leaving the urates for them to walk through.

#8 Guest_andrew b 1_*

Guest_andrew b 1_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:11 PM

beetles are used to clean the inside of an enclosure...( in the wild they live with bugs and all sorts in the soil)

white on leg... urates

lying down with heads on substrate...sounds like basking, nothing to worry about there

tortoise urine is harmless to a tortoise... if a tortosie peed on itself in the wild it wouldnt get ill

#9 Guest_Darren_*

Guest_Darren_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:25 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 12-12-07 AT 10:26 PM (GMT)]You've not seen the affects on a torotises carapace of sitting in urine then ?

I dont think we can make comparisions regrarding animals urinating in the wild to a captive envrionment !

darren

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users