- - - - -

egg shells in torts home

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:55 PM

Hi,my sister-in-law told me that her friend puts egg shells in her torts enclosure does anyone know the reason why?she didn't think to ask why and i am very curious.
Jay and (H);-)

#2 Guest_ellie_*

Guest_ellie_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:33 PM

Hi

Have heard this before too. I thimk it has something to do with when they were in their shell and when they hatch they eat the shell. Its good for them. Think it is the first thing they eat.

I could be wrong though. :7 :9

#3 Guest_maz_*

Guest_maz_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2007 - 04:26 PM

Hiya,
Blimey, Never heard of this before,might try it with my two.
Love Maz

#4 Guest_Jo_1984_*

Guest_Jo_1984_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:38 PM

Think its because the shell contains calcium, I would stick to good old limestone flour though, not sure if the egg shell could become impacted :)
Jo x

#5 Guest_pies_*

Guest_pies_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2007 - 12:07 PM

They do eat the shell because of the calcium in it. However, hens eat all sorts of rubbish and so their egg shell can contain some fine particles of less desirable things.
It must also be considered that birds are descended from reptiles (all be it about 100 millon years ago), so anything that can be passed on from bird to shell, may also be passed on to any animal that eats the shell. Some hen keepers bake the egg shells in the oven before crushing and adding to the hens food.
I would suggest cuttle fish is a better option.

#6 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2007 - 04:26 PM

Jay,
Thanks for the information as i was so curious i would only try (h) with a little bit off shell as i use the cuttlefish and he has a piece in his tabletop home all the time.
Jay and (H);-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users