- - - - -

Gone to sleep

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_pies_*

Guest_pies_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2007 - 01:13 PM

Well, that's it. My 2 chums have gone for the big sleep.
Nighty night little 'uns, see you in a couple of months. Well, apart from the regular weight checks.

#2 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2007 - 04:37 PM

I bet your missing your little ones i will probably have to put (h) for hibernation next year if his weight and health is okay,i love getting (h) out for his bath and walk around the house,is this the first year for you?
goodluck!
Jay and (H):)

#3 Guest_pies_*

Guest_pies_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 12:02 PM

Yes, it's the first time for them. I keep creeping into the garage to listen for any scratching & to check the temp. Not a sound.
Too damn mild again today, I will have to do something about this.

#4 Guest_sarahlee110_*

Guest_sarahlee110_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2007 - 05:17 PM

Hi,
I've just been reading that you've put your tortoise in for hibernation. I've only had my tort just less than a year and have been told by so many people NOT to hibernate him. He was ill for the first few months i had him, probably becuase he was in a viv and he contracted RNS and thrush in his mouth.
He's now in good shape, well he seems perfectly fine with a good appetite, but, in regards to hibernating him next year, do you have any advice and over this winter, how often is it best to feed him? Should i be slowing it down? And what foods are the best to keep him healthy?

Thankyou,
Sarah

#5 Guest_pies_*

Guest_pies_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2007 - 05:41 PM

If you are over-wintering, no need to change his feeding habits. carry on feeding daily with whatever weeds you can find. If you find weeds in short supply, you can give Florette mix from the shops, watercress, cos (Romaine) lettuce, but try to use this only to bulk out the weed. You can also give him winter pansy and viola. I would put Nutrabol on every feed. Keep the temps up on his table and if using a UV tube, make sure it is still OK. They only last about 12 months, then they don't give off enough UV light.
If you have trouble finding weeds, some joker is selling them on eBay. One lot just went for 16.03!!! Must be mad!!!:+
As for next year, read the tips on the Tortoise Trust site [www.tortoisetrust.org] on hibernation.

#6 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:49 AM

heya,

i was informed that one of the dangers in over-wintering torts was that you are feeding them through months when they would most likely not be eating due to hibernation. Therefore the over-wintered torts are actually eating more than their annual share (or than the correctly hibernated torts). Obviously over-eating would lead to the regular problems torts can get and as a result that it is best to cut meals down to once a week during hibernating months, if your over wintering.

This might be wrong but this is what im following anyway!

xx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users