greenhouses and humidity

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_maz_*

Guest_maz_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:20 PM

Hi all,
I am thinking of buying a greenhouse to house my two leopards this year,but I have a worry about humidity levels being too high for leopards, does anyone owning leopards or sulcatas house theirs in a greenhouse and if you do how do you keep the humidity level down to a safe degree,hoping someone can help as I dont want to get a greenhouse and then it not being suitable.
Regards Mazxxxx:)

#2 Guest_maz_*

Guest_maz_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2008 - 03:40 PM

Oh well, no replies, obviously nobody has anything to say about humidity levels, thanks for taking the time to read the post anyway.

Maz

#3 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:03 PM

Hi Maz

I know a couple of people with sulcatas and leopards and neither keep in greenhouses. dawn - who i think you have spoken to before - house hers in a converted garage with insulated walls and a large window at one end. she uses a de-humidifier and still has problems with the humidity. i would email her. her email can be found under contacts on the link under my name :D

#4 Guest_maz_*

Guest_maz_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:22 PM

Hi Jade,
thanks for replying,:-) yes I have spoken to Dawn before and she was very helpful:-) I had forgotten that she kept sulcatas:-( I will email her and see what she has to say,It is hard to keep the humidity levels down even in the house, I have a humidifier running and that helps,we are currently flooded out again, so maybe even outside in the summer may be unsuitable this year unless we get a long dry spell.
Many thanks Jade,Take care,
Love Mazxxxx:)

#5 Guest_Darren_*

Guest_Darren_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2008 - 10:59 AM

I keep North African Whitei i have a greenhouse but find it either to hot or too cold, they come and go as they please but certainly when they first wake from hibernation heating the greenhouse and getting it to hold the heat is difficult - i have it bubble wrapped but still it looses heat !!

With lamps and heating mine is like a dust bath very quickly so i have to water regular to prevent it being too dry !

Darren

#6 Guest_maz_*

Guest_maz_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:06 PM

Hi Darren,
thanks for replying, I think I have changed my mind about getting a greenhouse now,I spoke to Dawn at southern torts and it seems there can be a lot of problems with temps and humidity, I am now reviewing the housing situation. thanks for the advice.
take care
love maz:-)

#7 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2008 - 08:49 AM

Hi all,
I am thinking of buying a greenhouse to house my two leopards this year,but I have a worry about humidity levels being too high for leopards, does anyone owning leopards or sulcatas house theirs in a greenhouse and if you do how do you keep the humidity level down to a safe degree,hoping someone can help as I dont want to get a greenhouse and then it not being suitable.
Regards Mazxxxx:)

hi i keep 7 adult leopard tortoises and although all my med,s have access to greenhouses the only time i use a part of the greenhouse for my leopards is for nesting and im building a seperate nesting area so hopefully i wont use one at all in the future.i keep my leopards 24/7 in a insulated and heated shed i heat them up for about 4 hours under heat lamps in the winter and then they have access to their outside enclosure for a good part of the day dependant on weather as long as they have fresh water every day and access to graze they seem happy obviously it takes less time to warm them on good summer days and they have a concrete basking area just outside the shed i am planning on getting 2 of the new 275w megarays from Darren this year before the winter sets in so i can improve the light and heat in my shed but that depends on cash flow of course, my point is i think you would be better off with a shed as it is easier and cheaper to keep them over winter as i find you cant keep temperatures up in a greenhouse unless its sunnny.also there is the question of security much easier to lock up a shed overnight.

terry

#8 Guest_maz_*

Guest_maz_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2008 - 11:39 AM

Hiya Terry,
Thanks for posting the pics they are brilliant, and what lucky torts you have. I wish I dare take some more of the garden to make a space like yours, I dont think the old man would be too happy if I did though.
Mine have a 8ft by 8ft outside enclosure which I realize will not be big enough in years to come but for now its fine, when they can get out that is.I changed my mind about getting a greenhouse and now after your post will look into adapting the shed,
Many thanks for your reply Terry,
Take care
love Maz:-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users