substrate

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:07 PM

hello,
I'm thinking off changing 'h' s substrate as when i first put the mulch bark in his tabletop home there are some tiny little flies in and i have to get rid off them,h loves burrowing in it and seems very happy but i'm not i have been looking at the sites that reccomends hemp and then some say grass hay others say sand and soil then others say the mulch like i have and one said vinyl and then shredded paper over the top there are so many different views,with the shredded paper i would be worried off h eating it,any ideas would be appreciated!
Today h was able to go outside for a little while the temps were in the 80'S earlier he loved it.
Jay and 'h':7

#2 Guest_maz_*

Guest_maz_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2008 - 05:09 PM

Hi Jay,
Generally I find the best substrate is A mix of half childrens playsand and half sterilised topsoil, its deep enough to burrow in and there is no danger of catching fire if the lamp is too hotx( I had first hand experience of this when I had the beechwood chippings in Mikeys table, I had put the largest watt bulb in by mistake and thank god my husband smelled wood burning, it was a close call:'( if we had gone out I dread to think what could have happened.Did you say the temps were in the eighties yesterday,( wish I lived where you do):D
Love Maz:* :*

#3 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:12 PM

Maz,
thanks for the advise on sand and topsoil does sound a good option and also no risks at all and also no flies,did you watch the programme on tortoises the large ones on the islands the other night it was great and i noticed the land was mainly sand,its ashame today was much colder and h could not go out today at all.
Jay and 'H':* :)

#4 Guest_maz_*

Guest_maz_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2008 - 03:39 PM

Hi Jay,
Yes I did watch the programme, if you mean the one called Life in cold blood,I felt sorry for the one called lonely George, the last of his kind:( he looked so sad , yes the land looked very dry and sandy,this series was brilliant and gave a good insight into all reptiles.
Love Maz :* :*

#5 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2008 - 05:17 PM

Maz,
yes it was life in cold blood,hope they do more programmes on tortoises,lonely George was large wasn't he and he did look sad,
brilliant programme!
Jay and 'h':*

#6 Guest_maz_*

Guest_maz_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:47 AM

Hi Jay,(and H)
Yes George was massive, you wouldnt carry him far would you:D I dont think sir David Attenborough is doing any more of these programmes (thought I read it somewhere) but I hope I am wrong, maybe someone else will:) sometimes on meerkat manor you can see tortoises but not very often.
Love Maz :* :*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users