- - - - -

Another Tortoise

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_yellow shell_*

Guest_yellow shell_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:44 PM

We have one male horsfield tortoise at the moment (sheldon)he is 4 and a half and we were wondering if a he would be compatiable with a mate or considering that he has been on his own for a few years would he be better on his own. I've heard of them being violent to other tortoises, is this to other species or to any other torts even other horsfields?

#2 Guest_maz_*

Guest_maz_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2008 - 03:11 PM

Hiya,
As a general rule different species shouldnt be put together due to different pathogens, sometimes we see them mixed together in pet shops and aquatic centres etc, this contributes to problems that we hear of on the forum,if you are thinking of getting another Horsfield it would have to be kept apart from Sheldon for at least 6 months to make sure it has no problems that could be passed on,please dont be tempted to buy from garden centres etc and try and find a breeder in the UK.The more people that buy from good breeders in the UK helps in the fight against illegally imported torts. tortoises are solitary in the wild, only meeting up to breed but some owners keep them together with no problems at all.
I hope this helps with your decision, please let us know what you decide,:-)
Love Maz:*

#3 Guest_yellow shell_*

Guest_yellow shell_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:21 PM

We originally bought sheldon from a tortoise breeder, we will definitely not buy from a garden center.

How would we keep two tortoises so pathogens are not passed on?

#4 Guest_Jo_1984_*

Guest_Jo_1984_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:08 PM

If you got another horsfield you would need to keep them apart for at least 6 months before you introduced them. If hes male, chances are they mite get along ok now but in time they would probably need to be separated.
If you wanted another species, you would just need to make sure you wash ur hands with anti-bac soap inbetween handling them and obviosuly separate enclosures :)
I have had hermanns for about three years now and am so tempted to get another species but we'll have to see!!
Jo x

#5 Guest_yellow shell_*

Guest_yellow shell_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:00 PM

Thankyou for your help,

We will have to do a bit of research and look for suitable enclosures.

Sheldon is just having his tea now, he is eating more than ever at the moment, I suppose it is because he came out of hibernation fairly recentley.

#6 Guest_maz_*

Guest_maz_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:38 AM

Hiya,
Sorry to be so long answering your query, been having a bit of trouble with the internet:( I am glad you bought Sheldon from a breeder,to keep my two apart I have two different tables with separate heating and light,
a bit expensive but worth it:) outside I have one enclosure which is gonna be separated down the middle for this year,last year Mikey didnt go out much as he has not been well at all.I made the awful mistake of buying from an aquatics centre and I have had an awful time trying to get him better, luckily now he seems to be on the mend (fingers crossed).Whenever you or anyone handle torts the hands should always be washed for our health as well as the risk of cross contamination. I keep a dry antibac spray near their tables which saves running off to the sink everytime.When I first got them I kept them together as the owner of the shop said they would be fine, what a mistake that was,It was joining this forum and doing a lot of research into the care of torts that enabled me to learn the things I now know,and there is still much more to learn. There are brilliant people out there who are
only too willing to help in any way they can.
Blimey I have prattled on havn,t I.
Just heard Mikey behind me waking up, he will be demanding his breakfast soon.

Love Maz xxxx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users