New Substrate

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sarahlee110_*

Guest_sarahlee110_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:10 PM

Hi everyone!

Since i got my tortoise Sheldon, i have been searching for the perfect substrate and i think i may have found it. People have told me before to use Hemp, or compost, or sand...all sorts of things, which is all well and good but there never seems to be exactly what you want, its either too dry, too moist or to dusty. However, i have found a mix formulated specially for tortoises from a pet store near me in Ashton, in Oldham (near Huddersfield if anyone lives around here) and i can't say for sure as i've only been using it for the past week, but it seems great. Its a mix of soil and sand, not too dry, not too moist, but...just right! Also have got him some moss for his bed so it should keep him nice and warm.

Also, just a quick question, my tortoise is a Spur Thigh approx. 4 years old and i still get a little unsure how often to feed him i.e. every day, every other day...can anybody help me out?

Thanks!
Sarah

#2 Guest_Mich_*

Guest_Mich_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:33 PM

Sarah,

Torts should be fed every day, if you check out the Tortoise Trust Web Site it will give you lots of info.

I always find that if my two finish their food I give them more.

Good luck,
Mich.

#3 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2008 - 03:10 PM

Hi Sarah,

Can I ask what the substrate is please.... I would be interested in getting hold of some for my torts....

By the way I feed mine everyday - sometimes (for the older ones) twice a day depending on activity. etc...

#4 Guest_sarahlee110_*

Guest_sarahlee110_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:42 PM

Thank you for your advice Mich.

To you LilacGeorge, sorry i have taken so long in getting back to you, and thank you for your advice. The substrate is called Tortoise Life Substrate. I don't just how far it is distributed but i got it from a Pet Shop in Ashton near Huddersfield.

Unfortunately i have very sad news, my beloved Sheldon had to be put to sleep today...i won't go into the details as the whole ordeal is still quite raw, but i'm just devastated and it will take some time to come to terms with it all. I have put a little note to him and his picture in the RIP section. He was just the most fabulous pet and i will miss him dearly, but remember him very fondly always.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users