- - - - -

breeding

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fred_*

Guest_fred_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2008 - 09:43 PM

Hi,I have spur thigh torts and have been told that you can't inter- breed!Does anyone out there know if this is true? How would a tortoise in the wild know that they were related if they came across each other! fred

#2 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:08 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 02-08-08 AT 01:17 PM (GMT)]Hi, when you say inter-breed do you mean breed the same species but hatch brother & sister, or do you mean two different breeds?

With blood brother & sister it doesn't matter what they are - animal, human etc - it's not ethically right. They have the same 'make-up', it could potentially cause no end of problems...

It goes without saying that at the end of the day they are your torts so its your choice what you do, personally I wouldn't and I'm sure most if not all responsable tort owners would agree.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, I really don't mean it too ;-) but please think very seriously before embarking on this and consider the pro's and con's of doing so.

As for the 'wild' comment, I think instinct would stop them from breeding.

I'm no expert in this matter but logic would tell you whats right and whats wrong.... wouldn't it?? :7

#3 Guest_fred_*

Guest_fred_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2008 - 06:57 PM

Thankyou for your advice,thats what i thought.Im a bit worried that altho we have a separate tortoise garden for our female off spring,the oldest one who is 12 got out of this and not sure how long she had been out with the adult male and 2 adult females one of which is her mum and the male is her dad our breeding pair! fred

#4 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2008 - 01:40 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 04-08-08 AT 01:41 PM (GMT)]Hi Fred,

I wouldn't worry too much - whats done is done, I'm sure IF she is gravid everything will be fine - little minx!

Just out of interest (cos I'm a nosey cow :P ) how many Spurs you got? Are they your only breed? Any pics??? ;-)

PS I'm sooooo glad I didn't offend you with my reply - I was worried you might take it the wrong way, which is not what was intended ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users