weight

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_B E C K Y_*

Guest_B E C K Y_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2005 - 11:59 AM

heys! hows everyone! aint posted on here for ages! i bought kelly on jan 30th, she weighed 132g thn, i weighed her today, 15th may, adn shes 153, i weigh her every sunday, there has been a few fluctuations but preety much stable. is this normal? just wanted it confirmed! shes active and usual enjoying life! shes 4 yrs old by da way! thnx, becky adn kelly x x x

#2 Guest_Honey_*

Guest_Honey_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2005 - 04:43 PM

Sounds fine to me Becky. Fluctuations are normal as she may have just passed urine and faeces before weighing which can make a huge difference

#3 Guest_dutchman_*

Guest_dutchman_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:23 PM

Interesting to see a topic about weight.

I bought a female apparantly 2 year old. Had her for about 2 month now.

weighed in at 188 and has stayed between 178 and 188 since. carapace length 98 mm. On the jackson ratio but does not appear to be putting wieght on. lathagic in dorrs rampaging about out doors last couple of days.

How much incrase should there be for this age and size.

#4 Guest_thebloomfields2002_*

Guest_thebloomfields2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:21 PM

What species of tortoise do you have?
Shell x

#5 Guest_dutchman_*

Guest_dutchman_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2005 - 12:24 PM

I have a hermans tort.

At the size and weight appears to be on the curve for jackson ratio.

#6 Guest_Gwen_*

Guest_Gwen_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2005 - 11:32 AM

Now im worried!!!! My tort is a hermanns and he is 5 years old. He weights 234 gms and is 80 mm long (plastron). Is this too heavy!! Bearing in mind that he was poorly for a long time and was always underweight I thought I was on the right track now but looking at this post I think he might be too heavy.

Gwen

#7 Guest_B E C K Y_*

Guest_B E C K Y_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:25 PM

ok now im worried!!LOL! can somone plz tell us whether they are ok or not!? this is clearly a topic that needs resolving! HONEY WHERE R U!lol!

#8 Guest_Honey_*

Guest_Honey_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2005 - 10:13 PM

Is he smooth or lumpy Gwen - this is a good indicator as to whether he has grown too quickly or not. Some grow more quickly than others even on the correct diet and regime but they still should grow as smoothly as possible.

#9 Guest_Gwen_*

Guest_Gwen_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2005 - 12:56 PM

Hi Honey

He is smooth with no pyramiding at all (apart from slight pyramiding on two scutes which the vet thinks was damaged in some way before I got him). I have cut his food down a bit over the past few days but he is not a happy chappy!! He has been inside because the weather was bad and he literally turned his whole enclosure upside down!! I think I was probably feeding him a bit too much because as I said he has been ill with one thing after the other for about 4 years and only over the past year (especially the last 6 months)has he been acting normally so I am always delighted to see him wolf down his food.

Gwen

#10 Guest_B E C K Y_*

Guest_B E C K Y_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2005 - 01:49 PM

ok thnx very much honey! just thought id check up! im glad i did as this is obvisouly a topic that people are unsure of! thnx again, becky x x x

#11 Guest_Karen L_*

Guest_Karen L_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2005 - 09:36 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 23-05-05 AT 09:38 PM (GMT)]Becky and Gwen - if it's anyone that should be worried it's me... my boys are just coming up 3yrs old - they are 9 - 10cm and weigh
400g and 475g -
I have cut back their feeding and feed 5 times a week - they have all the supplements recommended -
can anyone tell me if I should be cutting back any further - dieting them?? or as I have made them too big too quickly should I allow them to feed at the rate of an older tort?? they are both very greedy and always looking for more ...

I am having them checked over by a woman who runs 'Tort Ark' and runs the Hampshire Tort. Trust in the next week or so (when she can fit me in) I am hoping she will give me some help to sort them out to..
Karen L :-(

#12 Guest_Honey_*

Guest_Honey_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2005 - 01:07 AM

How do you keep them Karen?
If indoors and in a small area then they will eat more through boredom. If outdoors withlots to do and having to look for basking areas, food etc they will grow stronger muscles and less thick shells as in the wild

#13 Guest_Karen L_*

Guest_Karen L_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2005 - 07:58 AM

Hi Honey , At the moment with such poor weather they are in indoor enclosure the pictures I posted previously showed it - during warmer days they have outdoor enclosure during the day - but seem to spend all their time buried...... also have green house but again bury themselves allday -
I am only feeding small amounts - as suggested -
I am hoping when / if weather improves they can spend day and night out (once I am satisfied it is escape proof!!)
Hopefully this year they will get used to their new way of living and not put on so much shell growth - also they will be hibernating for the first time....
Karen L :)

#14 Guest_Honey_*

Guest_Honey_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2005 - 10:01 AM

Hi Karen
It is natural at a tortoise natural temps for them to spend a lot of their time buried or hiding. This is why in the Med you are not constantly stumbling over tortoises. They are there though ;-)
It does not need to be hot weather for them to be outside. If you have a greenhouse you are half way there - they need to be in there now otherwise they will never adjust to the correct cycle. If outdoors overnight they will cme out as soon as it is light and a little warmer to catch any sun there may be. This was you will see more of them. They will not just get used to the new way of live, they will thrive - try it and see the difference in them. Tell yourself that this constnat growth is hurting their kidneys and it will help you to move things along ( we are nearly halfway through the year already!)

#15 Guest_Karen L_*

Guest_Karen L_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2005 - 10:00 PM

Hi Honey,
You'll be pleased to hear I have only just come indoors 9.45p.m I have spent the whole afternoon and evening sorting out the 'boys' o/s enclosure which incorporates the greenhouse, paved side of hse and terrace!!!! I have shut them in the greenhse overnight and then in morning will go and open door and turn on u.v/heat lamp and then give them the run of the above - hopefully they will have the sense to go in greenhse or new tort hse (old dog kennel my neighbour has given me..) if they need shelter..
Can't wait to see what they make of it all...

Karen L :7

#16 Guest_Honey_*

Guest_Honey_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2005 - 11:22 PM

Well done Karen
You may need to put them in manually for a while until they get the hang of things - but you should see an immediate improvement in them :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users