Small but old sad tortoise

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MaxXx_*

Guest_MaxXx_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2005 - 08:29 AM

Hi all, I'm Max from Malta (its somewhere in the middle Med sea)

I was wondering if anyone can help me about the size of my tortoise, Iíve had it for 18 years now, it was my surprise present when i was 1, and as Iíve seen for the pics I found here, for a Graecas it seems very small i was told that its small as i only give it tomatoes a lettuce, what can i do to make it more happy ?, should i buy a mate for it, or build a pit where it can dig all day long ?

Max

#2 Guest_Honey_*

Guest_Honey_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2005 - 09:52 AM

Hi Max
What you should do is go to www.tortoises.net where you will find the correct care sheets for a Mediterranean tortoise. I am wondering why you are feeding tomatoes and lettuce when you live where natural food grows for your tortoise. Just how small is it? I hope it is outdoors.

#3 Guest_MaxXx_*

Guest_MaxXx_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2005 - 12:32 PM

OK Iíll have a look at that site thanks ... its shell is about the size of a cd... Yes its always out side in the sun, it looks healthy but I want to give it the perfect habitat now that i have some time on my hands... From today I also started to give it bits of turnip leaves along with the lettuce...I also added a wooden box with soil in it so it can bask in it if it likesÖ

Thanks
Max
;)

#4 Guest_Honey_*

Guest_Honey_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2005 - 10:44 PM

Is it not in a soil garden anyway? Please feed it on natural weeds from your local area. Lettuce and turnip leaves are not good. It needs dandelions, clover, sowthistle and plantain, all of which are native to your country.

#5 Guest_MaxXx_*

Guest_MaxXx_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:16 AM

Yes but I'm afraid that if I start giving it a lot of different new food at one it would make it sick or something .. Another thing yesterday i built a big box, part shady and part open full of soil, but it didn't even put a single leg inside... Should I take it away or should I wait?

Thanks again
Max
;)

#6 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:20 AM

Hi Max,

As Honey says, you need to offer a variety of weeds and flowers to avoid your tort becoming addicted to one particular food, at the expense of everything else. Torts seem to find it easy to stick to one thing, whether its good for it or not, so go with the wild stuff and stay well clear of the supermarket, at this time of year it shouldnt cost you a penny to feed a tort
Torts do not have the ability to be sick, so dont worry.
Was your tortoise too busy wandering around the garden to bother with the box?

#7 Guest_MaxXx_*

Guest_MaxXx_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2005 - 11:36 AM

HI Jo, many thanks for your reply, I don't know about the box, the Tort is on the roof, as we don't have snow here so the roof i just one big space made up of concrete slabs, so i put this big box full of soil so when its fed up running about in the sun, maybe it goes in it.. so I don't know actually, maybe it will today, another thing is that i put the box in the space where it normally sleeps at night, but last night I slept somewhere else .. Iím quite confused actually...

#8 Guest_Honey_*

Guest_Honey_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2005 - 03:48 PM

Is this tortoise taken from the wild by any chance?

#9 Guest_MaxXx_*

Guest_MaxXx_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:15 PM

I don't know .. its been at us since i was 1 .. atleast 18 years ago

#10 Guest_Karen L_*

Guest_Karen L_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:02 PM

Hi Maxxx,
I have recently changed my torts enclosures - I have been worried as they seem to spend all their time dug in.. but advice recently given on this site is obviously to give them time to settle in - as for feeding them - then as you have a native species then your lucky to have the correct food growing to be able to give them - mine were hooked on tomato/lettuce up until a few months ago - now they are enjoying a weed diet.. good luck in your changes but just think how much happy and heallthier your tort. will be

Karen L;)

#11 Guest_TortoiseGuy_*

Guest_TortoiseGuy_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:52 PM

Do you hibernate your tortoise ? If so please send a picture and describe how you hibernate him/her.

#12 Guest_MaxXx_*

Guest_MaxXx_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2005 - 09:12 AM

HI all, yes it seems that the tort is now exploring its new space so no prob, about the food, I agree that we have a lot of wild tort food here but I don't know exactly which is the perfect food for it, about hibernation, yes I do hibernate it, I put it in a wooden box along with a towel and it digs it self in it, as here we don't have freezing winters.. Just a 12deg C minimum

I've also attached some pics .. Pics 1 & 2: tort eating
Pic 3 : is that normal ?
Pic 4 : tort near a 30cm ruler
Pic 5 : My turtle in its pond

#13 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2005 - 10:15 AM

Hi,
If you go to www.tortoisetrust.org you will find loads of helpful information about hibernation
Hope this helps

#14 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:59 PM

Hello Max
Could you take a photo of the tortoises plastron (his underneath shell) for me
Arnie

#15 Guest_MaxXx_*

Guest_MaxXx_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2005 - 08:57 AM

Hello Max
Could you take a photo of the tortoises plastron (his underneath shell) for me
Arnie

Hi Guys, many thanks for your replies; I found them to be very helpful. I've attached the pics you requested Arnie, from the info I found on the sites you gave me, my tort is a Greek male, it think it has about 10 yrs of age. I thought of buying a female for it next week, a 3 yr old Greek for a pet shop near by, I went to check it out, it seems in good form and will cost about 15.00GBP. I also bought a salt like mixture of calcium and other healthy stuff for torts, you just add it to the food like salt, and it seems to like it. I've also checked out about the paint stains it has on its underside, as it turns out I was lied to when i was a kid, as my parents had gotten the tort form an owned on his way to dump the thing in a field,:'( shame on him.

Thanks again
:-)

#16 Guest_Honey_*

Guest_Honey_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2005 - 03:31 PM

To be quite honest Max the tortoise would have probably been better off dumped in a field. In my opinion it is cruel to keep a tortoise on a roof in an area where tortoise live wild. From the pictures you show there is no sign of this creature having lived on the diet you say for 18 years!! There is also no way these paint stains have been there for 18 years on a tortoise living on concrete!

#17 Guest_beryl_*

Guest_beryl_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2005 - 03:51 PM

Also, you say you've had him 18 years - so how come you say you think he's around 10 years of age? Sorry, your story does not add up...

#18 Guest_Honey_*

Guest_Honey_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2005 - 04:55 PM

Phew - thought it was only me who had noticed these discrepancies ;-)

#19 Guest_beryl_*

Guest_beryl_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2005 - 05:04 PM

Hmmm... just wonder - what's going on Maxxx?

#20 Guest_MaxXx_*

Guest_MaxXx_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2005 - 06:52 PM

Itís about 20 yrs of age i typed 1 instead of 2... And the roof has parts where it has soil for it to stay on and wonder around on the concrete if it wants to. The stains have been there from always so itís not my fault they where there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users