Small but old sad tortoise

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_MaxXx_*

Guest_MaxXx_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2005 - 06:55 PM

Also here in Malta there are no wild torts... they're all bred in captivity...

#22 Guest_Karen L_*

Guest_Karen L_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2005 - 06:41 PM

Hi all, I'm a bit concerned they way some are treating Maxxx, surely he has had the sense to come onto this site and ask sensible questions - O.K. so he's not sure where the tort. has come from but he's got it and says he has had it for a long time.. surely we should be helping him take care of it in the enviroment he has available to him - sorry, but for once Honey I disagree with you having a go at him..

Karen L ;)

#23 Guest_MaxXx_*

Guest_MaxXx_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2005 - 09:31 AM

Hi Karen, thks for your help, I took the advice you all gave me, I situated the tort in a new appropriate environment, as it should be. I also bought a female tort, the prob now it that from when he noticed her, he's all the time hitting her with his shell. Everyone is telling me that itís normal but I think that the female is not happy about it at all. What should I do?

#24 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2005 - 10:33 AM

Hi Max,

You are going to have to seperate them ASAP !! It is cruel to keep one male and one female, he needs lots to keep him happy. He will eventually make your female very ill with stress and possible shell damamge. In the wild she would be able to escape his amourous attentions but in captivity there is no escape from him. Unless you have at least another 3 females, they will need to be kept apart permanently as this situation will arise everytime they are together. Any chance to can return the female from where you got it? Im sure if you explain the breeder will be more than happy to have it back.
Please seperate them today for the sake of your female

#25 Guest_MaxXx_*

Guest_MaxXx_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2005 - 11:03 AM

OK then thats what i'll do, and then put them back together when i'll buy another female or two

#26 Guest_MaxXx_*

Guest_MaxXx_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2005 - 12:24 PM

Hi, the whole banging thing seems to be all over now, they're just wondering around as usuall, should i still separete them or should i give them more time ?

#27 Guest_Karen L_*

Guest_Karen L_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2005 - 09:23 AM

Maxxx,
Jo has already told u that a male will bully a female so I wouldn't put them together - why have you decided to buy a female?? are you trying to breed.. If so I think you may have to do a lot more reading and research into habitat and diet etc - to achieve a good set up before you consider doing so - please don't rush into it as torts. get stressed very easily!!!

Karen L
;)

#28 Guest_MaxXx_*

Guest_MaxXx_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2005 - 09:26 AM

No the tought behind it was just to get a partner for the tort, for company

#29 Guest_Karen L_*

Guest_Karen L_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2005 - 09:33 AM

Hi MaXxx,

Don't let them get stressed - torts. are happy living alone - I got my 2 at the same time - they were fine up until recently then started chasing each other and biting etc - i have now moved them into a bigger enclosure but still have to seperate them on occasions!!

Karen L

#30 Guest_MaxXx_*

Guest_MaxXx_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2005 - 10:18 AM

Hi Karen thks for your help, yes it seams that they are both going on separate ways, the hitting has stopped now, on is at one side and the other at the other side of the enclosure, as i took the advise you guys gave me and made a new very spacious enclosure with the necessary surroundings, so its not a prob any more. The male tort I had before seems happier now, wondering about all the time, the female is still a bit scared but she seems to be fine now as she's eating and wondering about to.

#31 Guest_Karen L_*

Guest_Karen L_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2005 - 10:58 AM

That's good news -
by the way have you thought about Tortmad site ???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users