Fridge Method

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_stargazer_*

Guest_stargazer_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:37 PM

Hi

Do most people who use the fridge method for hibernation have separate fridges or do you use your kitchen fridge and is this ok with the door being opened more frequently than it would for a fridge specifically for the torts?

Thanks

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:12 PM

Hello there,

I have had no experience of hibernation yet as my little lady has been too poorly, I have read quite a few posts about what others do, and the answer seems to be a bit of both!!
I suppose everyone would like a fridge especially for their torts, but if you don't have one your kitchen one will do quite nicely!!
The main thing is the temperature, if you could measure this and make sure it is consistant befrore deciding. Opening the door shouldn't make too much difference....as long as your quick!! biggrin.gif And which ever option you choose you will need to open the door at regular intervals to change the air for torty!
I'm sure someone else with more knowledge and experience will be along soon and be able to offer more than a friendly word!!

Paula x

#3 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:53 PM

There are a couple of reasons why its a compromise to hibernate your tort in the fridge where you keep your milk and butter. There is an issue about possible contamination of your foodstuffs because tortoise do carry all kinds of bacteria and the like. I don't know how likely this is to happen, and you could guard against it some extent. Another reason is that you might not want your fridge at a temp to suit your tort.

My casual observation of what happens with the fridge temp when I open the door for a few seconds is that the temp fluctuation is quite short lived, but at Xmas you might be putting large amounts of food in there at one time that need to be brought down to cool and this would affect it for longer.

I know people have sucessfully hibernated their torts in the human being food fridge with no problems. If I was doing this I would be careful to monitor closely the temp of the fridge in different places so I had the tort in exactly the right place as it varies a lot within. Also I would nag everyone in the house not to open the fridge door unnescessarily, and make myself unpopular as a result. Ozric

QUOTE (stargazer @ Nov 24 2008, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi

Do most people who use the fridge method for hibernation have separate fridges or do you use your kitchen fridge and is this ok with the door being opened more frequently than it would for a fridge specifically for the torts?

Thanks

#4 Guest_stargazer_*

Guest_stargazer_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2008 - 02:15 PM

Thanks for your replies, yes the temp does seem to vary in different parts of the fridge and hasn't gone below 7 degrees really anyway and your right, there will be more food etc around Xmas time. So to plan B, Tiny is currently in our conservatory which is between 4 and 6 degrees so is ideal at the moment. However, we will be using that room at Christmas so I think it's a fridge with thermostat or garage. Is anyone else using garage at the moment and are you managing with termperatures.

Thanks
Carole and Tiny

#5 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:42 PM

Victor went in the salad draw at the bottom of our kitchen fridge last year and everything was fine, but you mustn't put anything frozen in the fridge to thaw, as the temperature will drop. Wherever the fridge goes is fine as long as the temperature outside of the fridge isn't too hot or cold, or doesn't fluctuate too much as this will affect the temperature in the fridge

#6 Guest_John_*

Guest_John_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:59 AM

Hello,
Well if you want to use this method it really is best if you can obtain one of those beer fridges. They do cost about 40-50 but are worth it. Place in in a spare room if possible, place a copy of yellow pages in the bottom and use a box that you can get at work that usually contains photo copier paper.
Make holes in the box with a screwdriver (approx 10-15), fill with shredded paper obtained from your works shredder . Take the box containing the shredded paper home and place inside beer fridge .
Set thermostet so it regulates between 5-10.When acheived and tort is ready pop inside and check each day to see if all is well. All should be well and good. John smile.gif

#7 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:23 AM

QUOTE (stargazer @ Nov 24 2008, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi

Thanks

Hi Stargazer
I use both, as I don't have enough room for all my torts to go in one and one won't fit in she is too big <g>
I have one fridge that is solely for the torts and the over spill goes in my food fridge, both these fridges are larder fridges, do not use the ones with ice boxes in, you will need a thermometer to register the temps, even in a proper fridge the temps dropped dramatically this last few days with the weather being so cold, I imagine in chiller fridge would be harder to keep stable.
I always put a peice of cardboard at the back of the fridge on the shelf that the tort is on, crease it about an inch top and bottom so that it stands proud of the fridge wall so the air can circulate, and it keeps them from the back of the fridge where it is colder, In my food fridge I have 3 torts, one in the salad tray, then 2 sitting on top, they are sitting on cardboard and I never put any food near them, If I could fit another fridge in somewhere I would, and keep my food fridge just for me, I'm still alive so it must work for me <g>, I try to minimise opening my fridge door on my food fridge, but they must all be opened twice a day to let air in.
If you have a fridge especially for your torts and not many torts, fill some bottles up with water as this can help stabilise the temps
If you are thinking of getting afridge for the future get a good quality fridge, you only get what you pay for and your torts lives depend on it
Take care
Di
aka arnhib
http://pets.groups.y...ortoisefriends/
http://pets.groups.y...ehouserehoming/
http://www.tortoises.net
http://www.thetortoisehouse.com

#8 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:12 PM

I recognise the byline Arnhib. This used to appear on here quite a lot and then it stopped. Very nice to see a familiar name coming back.

[quote name='arnhib'

#9 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:14 AM

What a welcome back you've had over the various posts, Di. You must feel quite chuffed. In fact, almost a better welcome than I get from my dogs when I come home. rolleyes.gif

#10 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE (Lin @ Nov 29 2008, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What a welcome back you've had over the various posts, Di. You must feel quite chuffed. In fact, almost a better welcome than I get from my dogs when I come home. rolleyes.gif

Yes it is nice to welcomed back, I bet a lot of Newbie's are thinking who the hell is she <g>
So for their benefit, I have nearly 20 years experience with torts, some bad but most good, I had to learn the hard way and I've lost a couple of torts doing that, so I pass on what went wrong, so it doesn't happen to you.
In October 2002 my late would be partener died and left me with 125 torts and a 19 yearold son to sort out, as well as my own 9 torts, it was an hair raising time, but I got through it, 25 heathrow horsefeilds went to Jersey, which left me with 109 already for hibernation, I had 1 small greenhouse and one rickety old garage and a cold pantry, I had to keep the temps up in the garage to make sure they didn't go below 5 degree's, as it wasn't a brick garage, during the winter I had Lens (my guy) large greenhouse transported from Norwich and brought to me in Leicestershire, by the time Spring arrived I had 2 greenhouses heated and ready to roll, I had sections in my garden to keep different species separate, from then on I gave or sold the torts but kept four for myself, one has since died and another I gave to your host on My Hermann, the other 2 are alive and kicking, well alive but asleep<g>
Without a lot of help on the internet, I don't know how I would have coped, so now it's pay back time and I do what ever I can to help people with their torts and I know a lot of new people come on here, so a good site to put what knowledge I have to good use, But I stress I am still learnig and if it's for the good of my 13 torts I will take it on board
Take care
Di
http://pets.groups.y...ortoisefriends/
http://pets.groups.y...ehouserehoming/
http://www.tortoises.net
http://www.thetortoisehouse.com

#11 Guest_stargazer_*

Guest_stargazer_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:06 PM

Thanks for your replies. I bought two fridges and couldn't regulate the temp on either so got refunds on them. Tiny is still in my conservatory, temps are still ok in there at the moment but might think about garage method and put his current box into a polystyrene bigger box with insulation in when we go in conservatory for christmas or might use our own fridge depending what we have in there.

#12 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:39 PM

" I bought two fridges and couldn't regulate the temp on either so got refunds on them. "

Bit surprised the fridges were no good, usually you can get the temp stable. Very small fridges are not so good but I get on OK with my beer fridge. Its in a spare room which is heated to about 19C, and the fridge stays steady around 5C.

Spare room in my fridge in taken up with bottles of water, these help to even out the fluctuations.

I think a brick garage might be good but I don't have that option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users