- - - - -

New owner, just need some help if poss !!!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Guest_Daniel_*_*

Guest_Guest_Daniel_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:04 PM

Hi there,

If possible i have a few questions about my Hermanns Tortoise ( George ) who is about 1 year old and i wondered if you could help.

1. How often do Hermanns sleep? When i leave for work George is in one place and when i return home he is still in the same place. Is this normal?

2. I have a UV light and a heater in his cage and this keeps his house at about 80 degrees is this ok? Also should the light be left on 24/7 - does a tortoise always need light or does he like the dark?

3. How often do they drink? How many days can they go without water. Don't worry he has fresh water every day it was just a general question, i don't think i have seen him drink yet, unless he raid's my fridge when i'm out !!!

4. How often do they go to the toilet #1 and # 2, and don't want to be rude what does tortoise poo look like?

5. There are so many things for them to eat, what are the definate NO's for them, is there somethings they shouldn't have?

6. What sort of temperuture is too hot? Would he let me know by hiding in the shade?

I hope i have not been a pain, i just wanted the best advise. So many different website condradict each other.

Many thanks

Daniel + George

#2 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:27 PM

Hi Daniel,
Welcome to the forum. I'll answer some of your questions and let someone else come in for the others.
I'll answer presuming you are keeping your tortoise awake this winter.
You need the light and heat on about 12 hours a day. If they are in the house, the background heat of the house should be enough for the rest of their run, away from the heat bulb. If they are in a colder place, you may need some background heat.
A lot of the tortoises are a bit sluggish, even with the heat on. Warm shallow baths every couple of days may help.
I have had Victor over two years and have never seen him drink. I got Bentley this year and saw him have a sip of drink for the first time a couple of days ago, but, like you said, we don't know what they get up to when we're out. They get a lot of water from their food.
I don't know if they wee every day; it's difficult to tell. If you bath him, you may suddenly see a cloudy jet be ejected (they give a little bounce up and down first) The wee has a white milky substance called urates in it, which should not feel gritty. The poos are enormous compared to their size. You won't be able to miss them. Sometimes they can be the length of the tortoise and about the width of a small finger nail, but usually they are about an inch long. They are quite firm
Well, here endeth the first lesson. It's amazing what you learn here.
Remember there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers (Well, we won't mention Xmas trees, eh Paula rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif )

#3 Guest_Guest_Daniel_*_*

Guest_Guest_Daniel_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE (Lin @ Dec 18 2008, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Daniel,
Welcome to the forum. I'll answer some of your questions and let someone else come in for the others.
I'll answer presuming you are keeping your tortoise awake this winter.
You need the light and heat on about 12 hours a day. If they are in the house, the background heat of the house should be enough for the rest of their run, away from the heat bulb. If they are in a colder place, you may need some background heat.
A lot of the tortoises are a bit sluggish, even with the heat on. Warm shallow baths every couple of days may help.
I have had Victor over two years and have never seen him drink. I got Bentley this year and saw him have a sip of drink for the first time a couple of days ago, but, like you said, we don't know what they get up to when we're out. They get a lot of water from their food.
I don't know if they wee every day; it's difficult to tell. If you bath him, you may suddenly see a cloudy jet be ejected (they give a little bounce up and down first) The wee has a white milky substance called urates in it, which should not feel gritty. The poos are enormous compared to their size. You won't be able to miss them. Sometimes they can be the length of the tortoise and about the width of a small finger nail, but usually they are about an inch long. They are quite firm
Well, here endeth the first lesson. It's amazing what you learn here.
Remember there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers (Well, we won't mention Xmas trees, eh Paula rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif )

Thanks for getting back so quickly !!! How often do they poo? Thanks for being understanding !!!

#4 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:15 PM

It depends really. Their digestion is very slow and can take about 4 weeks for them to completely empty, which is why wind down takes so long before hibernation.
Sometimes they might go a few days in a row, other times not maybe for a week.
When Victor was awake all winter, I fed him romaine lettuce and sometimes was able to find some dandelion and sow thistle. If you look at some of the recent posts it tells you what other types of lettuce you can feed ('ordinary' and iceberg lettuce have no nutrition)

#5 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:42 AM

Hi Daniel,

No doubt you have had some good aswers but will add mine to the pot <g>
If possible i have a few questions about my Hermanns Tortoise ( George ) who is about 1 year old and i wondered if you could help.

1. How often do Hermanns sleep? When i leave for work George is in one place and when i return home he is still in the same place. Is this normal?

Will leave this one has what you are doing is causing this

2. I have a UV light and a heater in his cage and this keeps his house at about 80 degrees is this ok? Also should the light be left on 24/7 - does a tortoise always need light or does he like the dark?

Your tort needs a cool end where his bedroom should be, so that he can warm up and cool down when he wants too,
He only needs heat and light 12 hours a day, if in home no heat at all during the night.
The UV doesn't give out much heat, it's the basking light which they use to digest there food, that has to be kept to one end

3. How often do they drink? How many days can they go without water. Don't worry he has fresh water every day it was just a general question, i don't think i have seen him drink yet, unless he raid's my fridge when i'm out !!!

Not a lot, hermann's are noted for not drinking, but a daily bath will do, just upto his mouth and keep it warm and leave him in for about 10 mins, I don't know if this is true, but have been told on many occasions that they take fluids in from the cloaca as well and of course the food gives liquid.

4. How often do they go to the toilet #1 and # 2, and don't want to be rude what does tortoise poo look like?

Mine normally poo once a day, but you can garuantee if you do something out of the ordianry, like go to the vets, they will provide you with some <g>

5. There are so many things for them to eat, what are the definate NO's for them, is there somethings they shouldn't have?

There is an edible plant list on the care sheet section at the top of the page.
Weeds are always best but it this is impossible I give mine Floretti CRISPY salad, and romaine/cos lettuce water cress, not salad cress

6. What sort of temperuture is too hot? Would he let me know by hiding in the shade?

You could do him a lot of harm if the temps are too hot, so best to buy a digital thermometer, they are only about 5 off ebay, they should have a hot spot of about 30 degree's, but only in one spot and make sure there is nothing that they can climb on as if they flip over they can kill themselves under a lamp,

I hope i have not been a pain, i just wanted the best advise. So many different website condradict each other.

Fingers crossed we have all talked the same language on here.
As well as this one there are 2 more web sites in my signature, you can check those out too
Many thanks

Daniel + George
[/quote]

#6 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:46 AM

Hi Daniel,

No doubt you have had some good aswers but will add mine to the pot <g>

Will leave this one has what you are doing is causing this

What do you mean by a heater?

Your tort needs a cool end where his bedroom should be, so that he can warm up and cool down when he wants too,
He only needs heat and light 12 hours a day, if in home no heat at all during the night.
The UV doesn't give out much heat, it's the basking light which they use to digest there food, that has to be kept to one end

Not a lot, hermann's are noted for not drinking, but a daily bath will do, just upto his mouth and keep it warm and leave him in for about 10 mins, I don't know if this is true, but have been told on many occasions that they take fluids in from the cloaca as well and of course the food gives liquid.

Mine notmally poo once a day, but you can garuantee if you do something out of the ordianry, like go to the vets, they will provide you with some <g>

There is an edible plant list on the care sheet section at the top of the page.
Weeds are always best but it this is impossible I give mine Floretti CRISPY salad, and romaine/cos lettuce water cress, not salad cress

You could do him a lot of harm if the temps are too hot, so best to buy a digital thermometer, they are only about 5 off ebay, they should have a hot spot of about 30 degree's, but only in one spot and make sure there is nothing that they can climb on as if they flip over they can kill themselves under a lamp,

Fingers crossed we have all talked the same language on here.
As well as this one there are 2 more in my signature, you can check those out too
Many thanks

Daniel + George
[/quote]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users