Powersun light

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tortoiseownertobe1_*

Guest_tortoiseownertobe1_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2005 - 11:47 AM

I ordered a 100W powersun spot bulb but they delivered a 160W flood bulb.
Is this ok for tortoises still or should I send it back and exchange it?

Claire.

#2 Guest_thebloomfields2002_*

Guest_thebloomfields2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2005 - 12:25 PM

Hi Claire,
I actually use a 160w flood for my torts, I was originally advised that that was the correct one,mind you the imformation was given by a person I am not so sure about now. Although I do think the husbandry info is okay. I do only use mine inside, not outside while we have this lovely weather,I only use my heat lamp for outside.
Hope you can make sense of this and it is of some help, probably still worth getting some feedback from the experts on this site.

Shell x

#3 Guest_tortoiseownertobe1_*

• Guests

Posted 27 May 2005 - 01:02 PM

Thanks for that, I got a 250w reptile basking lamp for outside. Powersun bulbs are too expensive to buy 2 of but I hope they will get enough UV from the sun while outside.

Are your torts happy moving from inside to outside as I was intending to keep them outside as much as possible but bring them in at night. Someoone said this can stress them.

Do you find it stresses yours bringing them in or are they ok?

Claire

#4 Guest_thebloomfields2002_*

Guest_thebloomfields2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2005 - 01:22 PM

Hi Claire,
Sorry I probably mislead you a bit there, mine are outside all the time, they have a large garden area and a shed where they go and in and out of as they please which is where I have my 250w lamp.

Yes it does stress them out coming in at night so it is best to keep them outside, I know it is quite nerve racking when you first leave them out over night but it really is the best thing for them.I did try bringing them in at first but now I have left them they are so much happier, I couldn't believe the difference, they are much more alert and active, they really do love thier independence.I am no expert but I would definitely agree with them torts love to be outside as much as possible.
Remember they are expecting a drop in temperature at night so when you bring them into the house you warm them up even if it is only a little, which then confuses them.

I use my powersun for the periods before and after hibernation e.g when we are still having frost etc..
Hope this is helpful

Shell x

#5 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2005 - 02:37 PM

Hi Claire,

If your enclosure is large enough, then just keep the 160watt, you may have to adjust the height tho. Obviously the stronger the bulb the more heat it gives off so in a small area a 100 watt is sufficent. The problem arises if your temps are too hot and you have to move the bulb higher to get it right, the higher you move the bulb away, the less UVB your tort gets. Its your call....

#6 Guest_tortoiseownertobe1_*

• Guests

Posted 27 May 2005 - 07:57 PM

So what are the tortoise tables for then?

Can they go outside when they are young too? They will be around 1 month old when I get them. I want to build a semi permanent enclosure but im not convinced that they will be OK out there at night.

Also one major thing which is worrying me. It is regarding feeding.
I dont want to overfeed my torts but people say the best tthing is an enclosure with weeds planted. How then do you make sure they dont eat too much?

Claire

#7 Guest_Honey_*

Guest_Honey_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2005 - 11:22 AM

Where are you getting them from Claire - one month is very young.

#8 Guest_tortoiseownertobe1_*

• Guests

Posted 28 May 2005 - 12:14 PM

http://www.dancing.d...uk/Tortoise.htm

He is called Tom. Im on his waiting list. I thought myself it is a bit too young. I heard they have a higher mortality rate at this age.
In addition to this it is a 4 hour journey to get them back. He assured me its ok.
Perhaps I will look elsewhere. I wanted yearlings really but he assured me that they are ok.

Does anyone know any legit breeders near Kent?

Is the light OK though honey. I tried it and when it is 55cm away it gets a substrate temp of 32C

#9 Guest_ian130366_*

Guest_ian130366_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2005 - 03:29 PM

Hi,

Regarding your request for legit breeders near Kent, I bought my pair of Hermanns from a very good lady breeder near J11 of the M25 in surrey, she has 2003, & 2004 hatchlings for sale, we went to visit and "meet the parents" so to speak, and bought a pair of 2004 hatchlings. Dont know if we are allowed to give phone numbers on the forum but if you mail me at ian_johnson@heathfarm.freeserve.co.uk I can give you all the details.

as for powersun bulbs I cant help as I am using a seperate u/v and basking lamp.

Regards

Ian

#10 Guest_tortoiseownertobe1_*

• Guests

Posted 28 May 2005 - 03:38 PM

Thanks for that Ian. Im currently in contact with a lady in Kent. I have not seen her torts yet, so If I dont get any i will be sure to get in touch re the lady in surrey.

Claire

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users