- - - - -

Help- tabletop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Mogli_*

Guest_Mogli_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2005 - 02:58 PM

After looking over many posts I have learned that a vivarium setup is bad for a tortoise. Im glad to know this now! I unfortunately spent so much to save the little fellow from the lunchbox he was living in in the pet shop, that I cant afford to buy a new setup. can anybody help me by suggesting ways to make a table-top setup. is a shallow wooden box the first step? does it need waterproofing? Please help asap as I wish to make Mogli happy!

Also could anyone tell me if any of the following are bad for him-
Cabbage, buttercups, geraniums, beansprouts,brocolli,lettuce,parsley.
I have heard they are ok, but have also learned that other sources are not so reliable as this one!

I look forward to being experienced enough to give the advice you all give!

#2 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2005 - 03:15 PM

Hi there,

If you go to www.tortoises.net you will find full guidelines for building your own tort table very cheaply.........why not take the viv back and ask for a refund?
While your on this site check out the diet........all those things you listed above are not good for your tort and need to be avoided. The buttercups are poisonous, any cabbage or broccoli is a member of the brassica family and will inhibit the uptake of calcium so should be avoided also. The rest have very poor calorific value and are mostly water :-( At the beginning and end of the seasons you could use lambs lettuce and watercress (the large variety, not the little salad punnetts, they are actually a derivative of the rape seed). But at this time of year it shouldnt cost you a penny to feed your torts, weeds and wild flowers are plentiful........think wild, ask yourself if your tort would find this in the wild, if the answer is no, then dont give it.
Hope some if this helps

#3 Guest_Mogli_*

Guest_Mogli_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2005 - 04:04 PM

thanks for responding, again :)
 I am having a problem, because tortoises are not native to ireland I am afraid every wild plant will be poisonous.. is there any kind of fruit or vegetable that I can use to tide him over until I can get some seeds to grow proper tortoise weed mix for him? What would be a good staple diet? Thanks!

#4 Guest_Honey_*

Guest_Honey_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2005 - 05:02 PM

Hi
Neither are tortoises native to England, Scotland or Wales. Have you looked at www.tortoises.net ? If so you will see that they eat many plants that are native to Ireland. You have dandelions, clover, plantain, sowthistle, vetch and goosegrass to name but a few. There is absolutley no need to feed a tortoise on shop bought stuff in summer. There are poisonous plants in its native country too but as there are so many dandelions etc they are not a problem generally. You do not need to wait until the seeds grow, the countryside is full of them, in fact I only grow the seed for babies. Don't feed cabbage and the like as it inhibits the uptake of calcium which is beneficial to the tortoise. Fruit will make gut flora increase and upset the balance of its stomach. Basically if it doesn't find it in the wild - don't feed!

#5 Guest_jill 1_*

Guest_jill 1_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2005 - 11:05 PM

Oh my word...are buttercups really poisonous? I had been feeding mine with dandelions and recently introduced buttercups, which Mitch loves!! Am I poisoning him??

#6 Guest_Honey_*

Guest_Honey_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2005 - 09:41 AM

My tortoises will also opt to eat buttercups given half a chance and few leaves cetainly won't do any harm so along as they are only a small part of the diet. Never allow them to eat the flowers though as these can kill pretty quickly especially on an empty stomach.
Always check plants if not sure of theie toxicity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users