outdoor enclosure

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_desertrat_*

Guest_desertrat_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2005 - 08:22 PM

hello every1

I took on what a number of you friendly people said an decided to make a permanent outdoor enclosure. The substrate is a mixture of sand and soil. Is hay ok to put in the small cave where he sleeps? At the moment i am still constructing it, but i am almost finished. I also have a small-like catflap, so little squirtle can go in and out of the small cave and the his small garden area as he pleases.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me especially Honey

Rich

#2 Guest_Honey_*

Guest_Honey_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2005 - 09:38 AM

Hi Rich
Torts don't need bedding in their sleeping area as they do not use it in the way a mammal would. Hope this helps

#3 Guest_desertrat_*

Guest_desertrat_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2005 - 02:52 PM

Hello all

I just thought i show everyone my new outdoor enclosure for Squirtle. I set this up with my dad after Honey and other people were saying that a viv is bad for a tort.
Is there any improvements i need to make or is this perfecto!
Thanks
Rich:7

#4 Guest_tortoiseownertobe1_*

Guest_tortoiseownertobe1_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2005 - 03:14 PM

The outdoor enclosure looks nice, sure your tort will love it.
I just went shopping for mine again today. I have decided on a small garden storage shed.
Was wondering what your electrical installation for outdoors consists of. Im not sure how I would go about making an electric lamp safe outdoors.
Also how far have you got your lamp from the substrate?

You just need some weeds planted in there.

Claire

#5 Guest_desertrat_*

Guest_desertrat_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2005 - 03:29 PM

hello claire

The lid part with the box on the top is what has the reptile lamp in it. It is a normal fixed light batton with the temperature controller is fitted under the canopy, and the sensor is about an inch(25 mm)from the subsrate. The power to it is by a flexible lead that plugs into an RCD (Electrical safety device).

Rich

#6 Guest_Honey_*

Guest_Honey_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2005 - 04:45 PM

Well done Rich - I'm sure your tort will appreciate it :-)

#7 Guest_desertrat_*

Guest_desertrat_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2005 - 04:55 PM

Thanks Honey, i think he does, he burrows, i suppose his never had the chance before...

Claire, sorry, i forgot, the height from the substrate to the basking lamp is 30cm

Rich:7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users