agh! HELP - tortoise went above 10degrees for 3 minutes!!!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_alberts_owner_*

Guest_alberts_owner_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:42 PM

while doing a hibernation check on my tortoise one of them went up to 10.5 degrees - I freaked out and probebly rammed her back into the box ?wakng her and put her straight back into the fridge where the temp dropped about a degree every 30 seconds and she's currently at about 8. She was actually only above 10 degrees for a max of 3 minutes - is this enought to preceipiate the glycogen reaction. could my nervous behaviour have upset my poor tortoise? What would the experienced tortoisekeepers on here recommend I do? wake her up now? persevere? I am so freaked out - i want to check on her but i know itll just happen again!

(my older tortoise is a much stable 6 degrees which hardly rose at all when i checked him.)

#2 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:03 PM

Don't worry about it. No harm done. When people take out their tortoises to check/weigh them, they go above 10 degrees then. There must be lots of tortoises in 'normal' hibernation who are pushing that figure as it's quite mild at the moment.

#3 Guest_alberts_owner_*

Guest_alberts_owner_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:03 PM

thank you very much! always a relief to hear things are OK on this forum!

i'm working in a cancer lab at the moment where if the samples in fridge/freezer go above or below a certain temperature loud alarms go off, and depending what the temp was expensive samples get thrown out/marked useless! and I think im in a general heightened state of anxiety about these type of things!!

my little tortoises looked so peaceful in their hibernation!

thanks
Jill x

#4 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:16 PM

Oh I'm sorry Jill, I know I shouldn't laugh but your last post brought a smile to my face....I could just see your torts all lined up with little post it's stuck on their backs saying 'throw out' or 'useless' laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#5 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:49 AM

Some of my torts (older ones) are in the pantry,not in a fridge, cold in there <g> but odd times the temps go upto 10 degree's, but they still keep snoring

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users