Hibernation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ziggystar_*

Guest_Ziggystar_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:24 PM

Hi, I'm new to this although I have had my Tortoise, Ziggy for 18 months. I was told when I bought Ziggy that I wasn't to hibernate him/her till winter 2009. Ziggy would then be 3 and a half years old.

Since finding this sign its now clear that maybe I should have hibernated probably this year. Should I had done?

I also went to find Ziggy's certificate so that I could find out how old he/she was. The certificate says that I have to Microchip him/her when Ziggy gets to a certain size and also I have to apply for another certificate as the owner is the person in section one which is the pet shop. I guess I didn't read the certificate when I got Ziggy but I wondered if this is what everyone has to do when their Tortoise reaches a certain size.

Lastly what age do tortoises become adults and when can they be sexed.... Ziggy will be 3 in June and his/her tail is small and looks the same as pictures of an adult female.... Can I assume she's female or is it still to early.

Thanks in advanced.

#2 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:32 AM

Hi Maxine & Ziggy...

QUOTE (Ziggystar @ Jan 29 2009, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, I'm new to this although I have had my Tortoise, Ziggy for 18 months. I was told when I bought Ziggy that I wasn't to hibernate him/her till winter 2009. Ziggy would then be 3 and a half years old.

utter rubbish Im afraid.... they can be hibernated from hatchlings though most people tend to wait till they are about a year old. One of mine is just over a year and she's doing fine. In the wild they would naturally hibernate from birth I beleive

Since finding this sign its now clear that maybe I should have hibernated probably this year. Should I had done?

Its not the end of the world. Some people choose not to hibernate fullstop. I personally beleive it does them good - I've seen good evidence to support this from my own. Its a bit too late now so maybe start thinking about doing it next year..

I also went to find Ziggy's certificate so that I could find out how old he/she was. The certificate says that I have to Microchip him/her when Ziggy gets to a certain size and also I have to apply for another certificate as the owner is the person in section one which is the pet shop. I guess I didn't read the certificate when I got Ziggy but I wondered if this is what everyone has to do when their Tortoise reaches a certain size.

DEFRA won't just change the certificate I'm afraid. They will only change it if something changes - except for some strange reason new ownership! It is not a proof of ownership certificate, it is only to proove that the tort is ligite. They will change the cert if its an old one - apparently the form changed but I cant for the life of me remember what it was. As for Microchipping, thats a personal choice not a legal requirement unless you plan to breed. I personally have had my bigger ones done and will get the others done when they get to a certain size.
Lastly what age do tortoises become adults and when can they be sexed.... Ziggy will be 3 in June and his/her tail is small and looks the same as pictures of an adult female.... Can I assume she's female or is it still to early.

Depends on the tort... some are easier than others to sex. My 3 year old is very definatly a boy! If you want to post a pic of the underside we can have a guess for you..
Thanks in advanced.

#3 Guest_Ziggystar_*

Guest_Ziggystar_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE (lilacgeorge @ Jan 30 2009, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Maxine & Ziggy...

Hi Dawn,
Thank you so much for your information.
I`m still a little concerned about whats written on the bottom of Ziggy's certificate and this is what it says at the bottom of the certifcate , section 20, under special Conditions. " This certificate is only valid for ther holder in box 1 (pet shops name) This certificate is only valid until the tortoise reaches a plastron length of 100mm, The specimen must then be microchipped and a new certificate applied for.
Do you still think it only applies if you are breeding?

Sorry to be a pain.. mellow.gif

Many thanks again.

#4 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:10 PM

Hi,

If you go onto DEFRA's website it will give you their telephone number. Ring them because they will be able to tell you if you have the form that can be amended. When I rang last year the lady was really helpful.

She'll also explain about the chipping - but that really is a personal choice and is only a legal requirement if breeding.

Let us know how you get on...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users