- - - - -

re substrate - loam.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tortoiseownertobe1_*

Guest_tortoiseownertobe1_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2005 - 09:24 AM

I am going to give my tortoise loam/sand in outdoor encloure.
Anyone know what a suitable loam says on the packet.

Someone said John innes is Ok. According to their website it contains fertiliser.

Speeding up the finishing of my enclosure as Im going to see some torts on Tues.

Claire

#2 Guest_Honey_*

Guest_Honey_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2005 - 09:46 AM

Go for organic loam Claire to be on the safe side. If outdoors thugh why not just go with ordinary garden soil? If it is clay based then add some grit to make it more natural for them and some limestone, throw some rocks in and you're away!!

#3 Guest_tortoiseownertobe1_*

• Guests

Posted 29 May 2005 - 09:59 AM

I am building on the patio and covering the whole enclosure with deep substrate as when I moved into the house in January the garden was covered with weeds - was literally a jungle. (It will be like a raised flower bed)

Even now after I have turfed and dug out the roots of the weeds, I still have buttercups, ferns and toadstools coming up through the grass as well as stinging nettles.

By replacing the soil and not using my own, I think i can manange better the growth of unwanted and ,in the case of fern, buttercups and toadstools, toxic weeds better.

Do have plenty of topsoil spare in the front garden and although most of the weeds that appear out there are safe, I have not been able to identify some. I have literally hundreds of xmas tree like weeds Other than that I believe the weeds to be safe.

Could take pics of unidentified weeds from this soil if anyone has expertise to help identify. Would certainly be cheaper than buying tens of bags of sand and loam.

Claire

#4 Guest_Honey_*

Guest_Honey_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2005 - 10:37 AM

Hi Claire
The problem with some of these weeds is that they spread by runners so would still affect your new enclosures anyway. Have you been to www.tortoises.net for weed ID

#5 Guest_tortoiseownertobe1_*

• Guests

Posted 29 May 2005 - 12:06 PM

Yeah you are right and ferns/toadstools are carried by spores in the air. Ill just have to plant the Tladys weeds in areas. And keep the rest weed free.

Claire

#6 Guest_beryl_*

Guest_beryl_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2005 - 03:13 PM

Hi - just to reassure you - I have quite a few ferns in my garden and my girls take absolutely no notice of them and I've never seen them trying to eat them....

#7 Guest_Libbys_*

Guest_Libbys_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2005 - 11:25 AM

Tortoises like hebes to I have Green globe and they dont eat and like to hide around to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users