- - - - -

choosing a tort.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tortoiseownertobe1_*

Guest_tortoiseownertobe1_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2005 - 09:28 AM

Anyone have any tips on choosing Hermanns. They will either be hatchlings or juveniles - 3 years.

How will I know which ones to choose?

Im going to look at some on Tuesday at a breeder's. So I expect they will be healthy and well cared for.

Never had torts before so any tips would be appreciated.

Claire

#2 Guest_Honey_*

Guest_Honey_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2005 - 09:52 AM

Just make sure they have been reared in a clean open topped enclosure, preferably outdoors to give them the best possible start. If juveniles check they do not have pyrammided or lumpy shells ( a sign of bad diet) and that they are lively, bright eyed and producing firm stools, not sloppy or undigested food. Check also that the torts have access to clean water as many hatchlings are dehydrated and in the process of forming bladder stones which can kill them very quickly.
Make absolutely sure that your breeder is a breeder and not someone buying in tortoises for resale - these are often imported and not in the best of health. ASk to see the parents and check the certificates to see that the breeders name is on them as having bred them.
Hope this helps

#3 Guest_tortoiseownertobe1_*

Guest_tortoiseownertobe1_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2005 - 10:09 AM

Thanks for that honey. Will be going to her home so will see. She was recommended to me by some people in the know on tortoisefriends forum so im confident she will be caring for her tortoise as I intend to.

Wasnt sure on the other breeder, not seen him post on any forum and not sure his claims to be the only breeder on the internet are entirely true(There is one right here on this site for a start.. )
Also found him a little pushy on the phone.
Plus despite the fact i expressed my concerns about 1 month being too young he assured me it was ok.

Your doubt yesterday reinforced my own and I decided I could let him down with a clear conscience.

I have since found out on the internet the names of 2/3 breeders within an hour of me so much better for the torts.

Thanks very much for your help.

Claire

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users