- - - - -

Heat Lamp Distance?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Nathaniel_*

Guest_Nathaniel_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:14 PM

Hi, I have just bought myself a Hermanns tortoise and i am planning on building a table and was just wondering whats the recommended height for the heat lamp to be away from the table? unsure.gif

#2 Guest_dave2150_*

Guest_dave2150_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:11 PM

It depends on the bulb - Ive read from many sources that a 30cm distance when using a 125W UV/Heat bulb is sufficient. Im not sure on the distance if you use a seperate heat/uv lamp though.

#3 Guest_Nathaniel_*

Guest_Nathaniel_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2009 - 03:37 PM

okay cool thanks, i am currently using a 50W bulb and a seperate heat lamp. so i may just buy the bigger bulb.

#4 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:43 PM

When you say you are currently using a 50 watt bulb... what do you mean??? Have you got a seperat ebulb for heat plus a UV tube? If you are using an ordinary bulb (which is perfectly ok) for heat then you need to use the reflector type bulb - I used to use the R80 reflector 60w, if you are using thsi then about 12" is sufficient. I have also used the 40w ones - it depends on your setup really. If you go for this make sure that you have a seperate UV tube - these need to be replaced usually about every 6mths. I personally think it is more economical to get the combined heat/uv bulb - either reptisun or megaray (I use both). They are expensive to buy (around 50 but shop around) BUT they last for about 2yrs and all you need apart from the bulb is a ceramic bulb holder. Whereas if you go down the seperate route you need the reflector bulb (around a 1), a UV tube (around 15-20) and the holders for them both (not sure how much the UV setup is 20+??)

If you go for a combined bulb then its a min of 12" but you have to spot check your temps some people do this with a therometer and others ust the tort as a good judge!!! (under it too long then it needs to be lower, never under it needs to go higher, spends time under it then goes of to eat/sleep/play then its just right!!!)

#5 Guest_hermann and pebble_*

Guest_hermann and pebble_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:57 PM

We have the combined bulb on the open table and we found using a couple of pebbles - not Pebble herself! wink.gif was good. They have pebbles/stones to bask on under the other heat lamp and they get to a nice warm but not a hot heat, so we moved the lamp down until we got the stones to a nice heat before we tried the torts on the table. This seems to have worked well.

Dawn- Can I ask, do you cover your bulbs? I bought the ceramic holder with the wire cage but it is so bright we put foil around the top of the cage. I have seen the holders that are covered but can't find much info on the difference.

Thanks

#6 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE (Nathaniel @ Mar 1 2009, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, I have just bought myself a Hermanns tortoise and i am planning on building a table and was just wondering whats the recommended height for the heat lamp to be away from the table? unsure.gif

Hi Nathaniel
Not quite sure what you are referring too.
But will give you this gauge so it helps
UV that needs to be as near to the tortoise as possible, I used to have tubes that were only about 14cm (6") roughly above the top of the torts shell, UV doesn't normally get too hot. If you have a UV bulb, just check what temperature it gets too, I've only ever used a uv tube and a combined one
Now the heat source (basking lamp) get a thermometer on the top of the substrate where the beam hits the substrate it should be about 30/32 degree's centigrade, if you were using a combined UV/heat lamp that would apply to this, make sure the basking lamp is at one end of the table so that the tortoise has a cool end with a little dark place for him to sleep and cool down, they need to do this. Another tip don't put anything near the heat source that the tortoise can climb on, if he flips over, which little ones do, he could die if un-noticed
Read the care sheet on here and the 2 web sites in my signature they are all good.
When you've sorted your table top out it will be time to start thinking about a little outside pen, needs shade, must be secure and covered over with mesh to protect him from dogs, foxes, and carrion birds.

#7 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:26 AM

[quote name='hermann and pebble' date='Mar 1 2009, 11:57 PM' post='30513']
We have the combined bulb on the open table and we found using a couple of pebbles - not Pebble herself! wink.gif was good. They have pebbles/stones to bask on under the other heat lamp and they get to a nice warm but not a hot heat, so we moved the lamp down until we got the stones to a nice heat before we tried the torts on the table. This seems to have worked well.

Dawn- Can I ask, do you cover your bulbs? I bought the ceramic holder with the wire cage but it is so bright we put foil around the top of the cage. I have seen the holders that are covered but can't find much info on the difference.

Hi
Not Dawn, sorry :-)
Do you mean the lamp shade??? if so here's where I got mine, second one down on the page
http://www.aquatics-...ders-stands.asp

#8 Guest_Nathaniel_*

Guest_Nathaniel_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:02 PM

Nice one, thanks a lot for the advice, smile.gif really helpful information, i owe you biggrin.gif

#9 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:11 PM

Hi,

here's some pictures of some of my indoor cages showing the lamps/holders;

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users