New Outdoor Enclosure

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_katiew7103_*

Guest_katiew7103_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2005 - 07:34 PM

My husband has recently completed an outside enclosure for my tort. Ive posted some pictures below, could I have your comments please?

#2 Guest_Mogli_*

Guest_Mogli_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2005 - 01:58 PM

Im afraid I dont know much yet about enclosures or tortoises! It looks nice to me because it seems pretty draught free, and safe from most wild animals. How do you get into it to change water etc? Does the top come off?
Also what kind ot heating etc. is used?
Im impressed. it seems from the look of the door, that he has free run of the garden. is that so?
Rosie;)

#3 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2005 - 04:36 PM

Hello,
I think your outdoor enclosure looks very good, I like the way you have constucted it well Done!!
I'm sure your Tort will love it once he get used to it,
Best Wishes;)

Yours
Joanne
X
www.joannescountrylife.piczo.com

#4 Guest_katiew7103_*

Guest_katiew7103_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2005 - 04:47 PM

Hi Rosie
Yes the top comes off. He has a 250watt heat lamp inside that is on a timer switch. It's on all day at present coz it's still a bit cold. I'm also concerned about the cooler spring months because I think I'll have to provide some sort of lower wattage light for when the night time temps are lower. Anyone have any advice or suggestions. Yes he does have the run of the garden, at the moment he is not venturing too far, I think he's just finding his feet.
Katie

#5 Guest_marvellous_*

Guest_marvellous_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2005 - 11:21 PM

katie,

firstly, your enclosur looks nice, but i dont think you'd need the high wattage bulb. torts do not need any heat at night, it makes them confused and doesnt help them thermoregulate themselves.

hth

marvellous

#6 Guest_torty_*

Guest_torty_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2005 - 10:35 PM

tortoises do need heat on a night especialy if there outdoors cos they will literaly freeze if there not euro torts but u should buy a heat mat for the nights and lay it down in the enclosure so if he does get cold he can always warm up agin

jonny

#7 Guest_B E C K Y_*

Guest_B E C K Y_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2005 - 09:59 AM

i think ull find that heat mats are NOT a good idea! but the enclosure looks great! ur tort must b n heaven!

#8 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:26 AM

Who on earth gave you this terrible advice Jonny? This is the absolute worst way to warm up a tortoise. I have over 20 tortoises all aoutdoors presently. They breed and do their own thign and certainly do not freeze to death. I suggest you go to www.tortoises.net or www.tortoisetrust.org for correct husbansdry advice on these creatures
Take care
Sue

#9 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2005 - 09:08 PM

I Totally agree with Sue,, Heat Mats are Lethal and MUST Be avoided,You will end up killing your Tortoise,
Since When does Heat come from Underneath in the wild??? X(

Yours
Joanne
X
www.tortoises.piczo.com

#10 Guest_Karen L_*

Guest_Karen L_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2005 - 09:24 PM

Hi ,
At a meeting recently we were warned about Torts being left out (dug in) when there is freezing temps as they will suffer blindness as their eyes are the first things to freeze and obviously death can occur -
However, Jonny with my little knowledge I also agree that heat mats are a 'no no' - if it is freezing weather Torts should be in a warmed enclosure with heating from above that they can get away from so they don't overheat and dehydrate - mine were in a conservatory until a few weeks ago - I just kept a small electric radiator on low to keep it above freezing - they are now in greenhouse with access to the outside as they please - as the weather is warmer I am just using a 60w basking lamp for them to warm up under if they want - I also have 160w u/v / heat lamp that I use if really dull and cold so if they do not want to wander out they get some uv as well... at night they go back into green hse and burrow into soil or go under a flower pot - but have no heat on at all.
I have learnt all the above from being on this and other related sites and by joining a local Tortoise group -
Karen L :-)

#11 Guest_Libbys_*

Guest_Libbys_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2005 - 11:12 AM

Looks like you have spent a good deal of effort in making sure your toroises have a very good enclosure, well done if we all take that tad more time to make sure we cover the actual needs of a Tortoise.
well done and im sure your tortoises will love you for it and im sure will be very happy coming and going as they so please well done to you.
I like looking at enclosures that thought has gone into my partner laughed when I started decorating the outside of the house with slate roof etc when our outdoor enclosure is finished the house will be used as a hide hole for them I am also thinking of constructing a cave with slight hill for them to climb.
This can be erected using pot drainage pipes u bends etc only make sure enough room to get in and out and over each other if they attend the pipe at the same time.
When I have constructed or instructed my partner to do ours I will post some pics haha Never construct anything that could collapse as tortoises are little diggers.

#12 Guest_Libbys_*

Guest_Libbys_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2005 - 11:22 AM

Picture of hose which is to be added to the enclosure just for them to roam round.
The house is being used at home in thier indoor enclosure table top.
Picture was taken when we had wood bark down,which was soon changed to a more suitable substrate as it harbours bacteria.
with a little imagination you can make the garden look attractive with having a little hide hole house like this.
I will let them take this house to their outdoor enclosure when finally complete.
And myself will have to construct another house with all things they will need to heat up on coolder days

#13 Guest_slowcoach_*

Guest_slowcoach_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2005 - 08:00 AM

Hi Libby,
Love the Tort house - and enclosure!!!
It seems that Karen L has been removed from this site - shame as she was actually getting lots of good advice and putting it into use -also she was able to start helping others with the advice she was learning - also Honey,Wizzamum and other experienced owners seem to have disapeared!!! - they are now on tortsmad Tortsfriends and Tortoisetrust sites - so you know they are not too far away!!
:)

#14 Guest_Andy_*

Guest_Andy_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2005 - 10:29 AM

For your information Wissamum & honey were the same people, sue is using several different usernames on this forum.

One reason for removing the account was the harassment honey was giving the other members on the forum, private message were being sent to members & most of them were not very nice.

Also she was telling members to leave this forum and join her at her group, need i go on.

The forum still has well over 370 members and i am sure 1 or 2 members will not be missed, i am sure a lot will agree that they will now enjoy coming to the forum without fear of being harrased by Sue or is it Honey!!!!

have a good weekend

#15 Guest_slowcoach_*

Guest_slowcoach_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2005 - 09:38 PM

Andy
you and John have banned many recently - and some for no good reason - they have even been told they are ( quote )"BITCHING SCUM" -
I have seen the e-mail personally - you may be getting new members but don't forget it's the more experienced members that are needed to keep this site running.........

#16 Guest_nikki_*

Guest_nikki_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2005 - 12:58 AM

I have never seen Wizzasmum or Honey or whoever you mean harrassing anyone or calling names. If anyone has been harrassed in this way maybe they will come forward and say what has been said as this is a pretty strong accusation to make agianst someone who cannot stand up for themselves after being banned. What exactly has she said to people to upset them so much as I have always found her ot be very helpful with private messages or on list. She alwasy replied to messages promptly even though she had her own list to run. Woudl you object to me posting her defence here Andy? I am asking first before I say anything. What were the other names she was using?
Nikki

#17 Guest_nikki_*

Guest_nikki_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2005 - 12:06 PM

I just did a bit of searching myself and after contacting Sue she tells me she simply replied to people privately at times rather than using the list as she did not want to support a dealer until the issue was resolved. She says she did give people links to the TortoiseTrust and to Tortsmad but that was just so they didn't miss out on important advice. She categorically denies sending abusive mails and would not do so as this would not gain her any brownie points or do her reputation any favours. Her group does allow a lot more freedom of speech and off topic posts than some but has nothing to hide and only gives out good advice and links to British Breeders not dealers.
She has said she will send an invite for you to see for yourself Andy
Nikki

#18 Guest_Blighty_*

Guest_Blighty_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2005 - 10:08 PM

Please I would not use Bark Chipping's as these are just like Straw & Hay, they contain Spores which are Deadly to Tortoises.
Julie..

#19 Guest_katiew7103_*

Guest_katiew7103_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2005 - 10:04 PM

The substate you see is not bark chippings but hemp. Something that is supposed to be very good for torts to burrow in and has good thermoregulation properties.
Katie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users