eggs

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:09 PM

can anyone help?one of my torts have just layed three eggs.how long dose it take to know if they are fertlie.have tried them at the light to see.she layed them ten days ago.any help would be great

#2 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:41 PM

not my area, but would've thought you would see something by now? Darrans the best one for this topic as he's been there, seen it etc.... :rolleyes: (I'm only jealous!!!! ;) )

#3 Guest_darran_*

Guest_darran_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:36 PM

Hi,
After about week the fertile eggs go a chalkey white, infertile eggs do not.This is quite hard to spot. After a couple of weeks I have found when using a light the infertile ones glow(like there is nothing inside).
At this stage the less handling of them the better.Its best wait and see.I know its hard.
Good luck
Darran

#4 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:06 PM

thanks for the replies.ill just have to sit it out see wot happens!!!!dose any one know wen they should hatch?wot is best for eggs to lay on mines are just on soil.thanks again

#5 Guest_Robink_*

Guest_Robink_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:55 PM

Hi, how exciting EGGS!!! Please let us know how they our getting on. :D

#6 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:29 PM

I presume you've put them in an incubator. The only thing I know is that you must keep them the same way up.

#7 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2009 - 04:42 PM

i have home made incubator.its a plastic box with a few holes in.aheat mat with a stat for the temp.i have soil and a wee tub of water in it.dose his sound oc?this is my first batch so still very much lerning

#8 Guest_darran_*

Guest_darran_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:52 PM

Hi,
The temps should be around 30* / 31* they should then hatch at around 56 days( if they are Hermanns tortoises?) I use a home made incubator Its a poly box with a heat mat at the bottom. The eggs are place in a a icecream tub on slightly damp vermiculite (soil is ok) the icecream tub is raised off the heat mat by about 2" useing wooden slates. The importent thing is to keep the temps stable. The poly box has a lid which I lift for about a minute for fresh air.
It is very exciting
Darran.

#9 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:59 PM

yes they are hermann torts.that looks a great set up you have their?where did you get the poly box from?or is it from somthing you bought?how often do you get eggs.am tring not to get to excited in case they arnt fertile but its a step forward.do you get infertile eggs?can you get a mixed batch?sorry for picking your brain!!!!! thanks again

#10 Guest_darran_*

Guest_darran_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:39 PM

I got the poly box from a local aquarium for free.I dont know where you could buy one. I have been hatching eggs for four years.The excitement does not diminish in any way.I have three females and one of them has always laid at least one infertile egg in a clutch so yes clutches can be a mix.
Darran

#11 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:20 AM

thanks again darren do you keep your torts togetheir all year.do they only lay one batch a year or more?am hooked on my little eggs now!!!i want more!!dont sopose anyone knows where i can get an adult female from???

#12 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:32 PM

wow that is so exciting!! I hope ot goes well for you.

I dont know what sex my two new hermanns are but if they turn out to be different i will definately look into breeding them.

All the best!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users