The best for my tortoise

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Tinkerbell_*

Guest_Tinkerbell_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2005 - 10:07 PM

Hi everyone,

I have just been reading posts on how vivariums are bad and how outdoor enclosures are better but how do people accommodate this in England? We have decided after reading this site and the tortoise trust website that we are going to make a more suitable enclosure for our Tank, however it will still be indoors because it is too cold outside at the mo. Also does anyone grow there own plants and if so how easy is it?

Sorry if I sound dumb but I was one of those suckers that got pulled into the Pet Shop ploy of a vivarium is perfect and so are supermarket salads :'(

Thanks for all your help

Leila
www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/SLATeam

#2 Guest_Libbys_*

Guest_Libbys_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2005 - 11:19 AM

Hi if you go to www.tortoise.net you can down load some excellent information on edible weeds for tortoises and also listed is the scientific name and pictures of them to easily identify.
Not only that you can also obtain the seeds from them to plant yourself in which I have done.
At this time of year it should cost nothing to feed a tortoise as weeds etc they are freely in your garden some of these weeds such as dandilion etc.
You can also go into local woodland and pick daily so is nice and fresh for your tortoise.
Myself I have the seed mix growing inside and outside my tortoises enclosure for them to graze at their own leisure.
The mixture can be brought very cheap.
I spent 10 and have lots still left an this mix can be purchased from the said site mentioned.
However please find enclosed picture of seeds I have planted and what it should look like after 2 week growth follow instructions as it is very easy to grow and very good for your tortoises hope this helps

#3 Guest_Tinkerbell_*

Guest_Tinkerbell_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2005 - 01:11 PM

Thanks Libbys, I will definately have a go at growing some indoors. I had a look in our garden this morning (don't go out there very often) and it looks as though we have a lot of the weeds suggested anyway. Do they grow well over the winter as well? Also how do you feed nettles? Do you feed the leaves? I take it they don't sting tortoises?

How does everyone keep there indoor table top tanks warm enough? We have been advised that we should be keeping our tortoise @ 80 degrees during the day & 70 at night which I beleive was the reasoning behind the vivarium

Oooh I am all excited now about building Tank a new home!! :)

Leila

#4 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2005 - 07:07 PM

Hiya Leila,
Welcome to the forum,
I got my hubby to make me an Indoor Table top enclosure, which is best for torts as Vivs are lethal and will eventually kill your tort,
He made mine out of a Potting bench which we bought at the local DIY shop for 20.00 and put skirting boards around the sides so they can't escape and then fitted UV Bulb and a Basking lamp for them to warm up, You should always have a warm end and a cool end, I put 50/50 soil & Sand in with rocks and shrubs as you can see in the picture it looks quite good, Also at night they dont need any heat, Just the natural temps it would be at night, I only have the red bulb in there to check on them for bed time but dont leave it on,
Also my Hubby made me an Outdoor enclosure too,If you would like to see more pics just go to my website below,
I hope this helps a little.

Yours
Joanne
X
www.tortoises.piczo.com

#5 Guest_Tinkerbell_*

Guest_Tinkerbell_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2005 - 09:09 PM

That looks fab, I will definately be taking ideas from yours. You say you have no heating at night does it never get too cold?

Leila

#6 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2005 - 12:11 AM

No it doesn't get too cold because of the warmth from the house, Central heating in the colder months.
I kept mine in the conservatory when i first got them, But now they are in my outdoor enclosure outside, Day & Night and they seem to be doing fine! I still have a basking lamp for them in the shed which is on a timer and goes on & Off all day long till around 8 o clock at night then i switch it off & make sure they are tucked up, They are free to go out side or in as they please Through out the day.

Yours
Joanne
X
www.tortoises.piczo.com

#7 Guest_Tinkerbell_*

Guest_Tinkerbell_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2005 - 05:13 PM

Sounds great. I suppose as long as you provide warm areas for them they can then choose where they want to be. Tank is going to be so much happier soon.

Does anyone know if tortoises need friends? I have found no information sa to whether they live on their own in the wild or with friends

Cheers

Leila

#8 Guest_nina_*

Guest_nina_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2005 - 04:57 PM

Hi Leila,

I've always been told that torts aren't very social, but when I bought my tort Carla a little friend, Stella, she was so happy. They are best friends and much more lively when they're together. And they always sleep together, really close next to each other - it's just so sweet! I have no doubt that they really enjoy each other company a lot!

Nina:)

#9 Guest_Tinkerbell_*

Guest_Tinkerbell_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2005 - 06:41 PM

Hey everyone,

Just to let you know we just moved Tank into his new indoor enclosure and he loves it. Just about to order some herbiseeds and then have a go at planting some of them in there as well. I will post some piccies of it later. We are gonna use the same sort of design for the outdoor enclosure as well.

Thanks for everyones help

Leila

#10 Guest_marvellous_*

Guest_marvellous_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2005 - 11:08 PM

leila,

we have a very successful indoor enclosure which is made from a bookcase lay on its back, simple but effective. You can put your torts outside, but make sure they have a source of back up heat just in case.

regards

Marvellous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users