- - - - -

sleepy toby

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tobythetortoise_*

Guest_tobythetortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:26 PM

hi ya im pretty new to the tortoise thing but my year old hermann seems to want to sleep all the time, ive read up loads and his temp,light,food,home is all perfect but he just seems to sleep he would sleep for days if i let him but i wake him bath him he eats a little then goes back to sleep, is it just cos his a baby? any advice? xx :wub:

#2 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2009 - 05:20 PM

im in a similar boat with my two that i have had for a week. They do sleep a lot, but after thier bath they go nuts and make up for it. I think i may be feeding mine a bit much so i am going to only feed them once a day.

the people on this site with experience will be able to help you, but thought you may like to know mine are quite sleepy to! :rolleyes:

#3 Guest_tobythetortoise_*

Guest_tobythetortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:21 PM

hi ya thanks for reply
yeah mines awake after i bath him but dnt know if its normal for babys to sleep so long i did worrie its cos he was cold and thats why his sleeping so much but checked all the temps etc and they are all fine?
maybee mines just a lazy sod lol x

#4 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:05 PM

just noticed your in ipswich. I am to. How long have you had your tortoise?

#5 Guest_tobythetortoise_*

Guest_tobythetortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:20 PM

ooo what small world :) yep ipswich born and bred :)
i got toby 4months ago and now thinking bout another one :)

#6 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:30 PM

Hi,

how long have you had him/her? Sometimes they can take a while to settle in? Does he go under the heat lamp at all? I know you say your set up is perfect, and Im sure it is, but it may be that its too hot or too cold. Torts are individual (like us) and it may be that although your temps are perfect by the book, your little shelled one might not agree??? Books and internet are all good places to get base information but you need to tailor it all to your own torts needs, so maybe fiddle with your temps a bit. See if that makes a difference... it may just be cos its still cold at the moment your tort is in natural hibernation mode - although he's not physically hibernating he may have just slowed down somewhat.

#7 Guest_tobythetortoise_*

Guest_tobythetortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:57 PM

hi ya
ive had toby 4months so he is quite new, he was a year old in november
his hot spot is 90-95f the rest is 65f
he very rairly goes under the heat if he does its only for few mins

#8 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:18 PM

ok, if he doesn't go under it then it may be cos its to hot for him.... I have to say I dont use thermometers, I use the torts themselves as judgement. What should happen is that the tort will wake up, go under the lamp for a bit then pop of to eat then sleep as so on... if they stay under the lamp all day its usually because the temp is too cold and likewise if they dont then its usually cos its too hot!

Hmmm, I would try and turn the heat down a bit maybe to about 30 degrees (86f) and the cool end you want at about 20 degrees (68f). See if that makes a difference. Mostly the temps that are given out are for adult torts, it may be cos your is only young he's feeling a bit to hot - his shell won't be as tough as an adults.

What sort of bulb is it? Whats under your bulb (ie, is there a piece of slate or tile under it?) Is it a combined heat/uv bulb or do you have seperate?

#9 Guest_tobythetortoise_*

Guest_tobythetortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:48 AM

hi ya i have 50w Zoo Med Basking Spot Lamp which is in the corner and has a stone tile under it and i have a self ballasted mercury 125w solar glo lamp which has uvb,uva, toby is now eating alot less than usual and it is worring me so im thinking he might need to see a vet?
i have now lowered the temp so going to keep eye on him and hope that works :( x

#10 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2009 - 03:24 PM

if you notice him awaking and you move him to the food does he eat then?? Are you keeping him in a vavarium with glass doors closed or is he well ventilated?

#11 Guest_tobythetortoise_*

Guest_tobythetortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:10 PM

hi ya
his in a large tortoise table, na he never moves he just sleeps and then i wake him, bath him then i put him nxt to food he has small bite then back to bed if i dnt put him nxt to food then he walks past it he has no interest at all :(

#12 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:46 PM

im a complete novice but are his eyes and nose clear? what are you feeding him?

#13 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:58 PM

I wouldn't worry too much yet, still early days.... It took my Frank a couple of months to settle in... all he did was sleep!!! :rolleyes:

Yes if you're worried take tort to a vet, but I think you'll just be chucking your money away... may i ask where you got him from? He may need worming...

#14 Guest_Robink_*

Guest_Robink_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:05 AM

Try not to worry to much, easier said than done, my boy didn't eat for weeks, but he is fine now, just needed to settle in and get use to us. lol :laugh: :laugh:

#15 Guest_tobythetortoise_*

Guest_tobythetortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:54 AM

hi ya yeah his nose is clear but his eyes are not as bright as usual, i know im probably worring over nothing but cant keep looking at poor little fella without feeling bad so ive got vets at 12 today just to make sure x

#16 Guest_tobythetortoise_*

Guest_tobythetortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:11 AM

hi ya i got him from a reptile shop near where i live but since having toby found out few things i wasnt happy about as the hermanns was mixed in tank with leapards and i doubt his ever been wormed, ive got appointment at vets today at 12 (id rather chuck the very little money away that i have and have peace of mind) i know im prob being a drama queen bout it all but i love the little fella and cant keep looking at him wondering whats wrong with him :unsure:
thanks for all your help and advice xx

#17 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:26 PM

welllllll.........................how did Toby get on at the vets today??? (Whats your name by the way??)

#18 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:57 PM

Hope the little chap got on okay today? Fingers crossed for Toby!

Nothing drama queen about worrying about your tort.... you have just joined a stage full of worriers! :D
The little shelled ones are really special and we all love 'em to bits! :rolleyes:

Paula x

#19 Guest_tobythetortoise_*

Guest_tobythetortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:44 AM

hi ya my names laura :)
well vets was pretty pointless to be honest they didnt have scales small anough to weigh toby.....altho ive now weighed him myself (37grams)
the vet said toby is bit dyhdrated but she said its not surprising if tobys not eating...altho he has acess to shallow water dish and i bath him everyday
she thinks it could be parisites but couldnt treat him till she knew his weight, im waiting on a phone call so i can tell her the weight xx

#20 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:48 PM

Mmmmm, one assumes this isn't an exotics or reptile vet!!!! If it is then I would be questioning why they haven't got the right equiptment!!!!

Seriously, if you need to take your torts to a vet then you need to use someone who's qualified in reptiles not domestic animals cos you really will be wasting your money!!! I used to travel to Portsmouth to a rep vet but now luckily we got a more local rep vet!!

All a 'normal' vet will do is recommend worming and give a vitamin shot!!! :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users