HELP NEEDED URGENTLY

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_TortoiseMan_*

Guest_TortoiseMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:00 PM

Hey everyone,

I have recently started work as a volunteer down an animal sanctuary near where i live in England. There is this tortoise there that i love to pieces, he was found wondering a around a forest a week ago and bought into us. He is a young one, currently in a fish tank with an open top on newspaper and sawdust. He is on a diet of cabbage and lettuce with water. He has a light but not a uv one. The animal sanctuary manager said that as he has been off the uv light for quite a long time and survived without it fine there is not much point reintroducing it.

My Dad has recently suffered a stroke and is very very very very X1000 depressed. He kept tortoises as a kid and i think it would cheer him up no end if i was to bring this rescue home.

The manager said i could have the fish tank, but the tortoise pref needs to be on wood chips etc.

We are unsure of the breed of tortoise.

Would the tortoise be ok in a fish tank lined with woodchips with an open top indoors in my dads room? my dad would have him out of his desk every now and then whilst working aswell.

Is this ok, please can anyone give me any advice or any info i should know? would this be suitable or shouldnt i even think about it?

Any help would be great

Thanks again,

Sam

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:18 PM

Hi Sam, a lovely thought for your dad, but to be honest this really would be unsuitable for the tortoise.

If he was to be kept indoors he would definately need UV and probably a heat lamp too. His exact requirements would depend on the type of tortoise he is.

If you really want to keep him this would be the first step, to ID his breed. If you wanted you could post a picture and we could try and help.

They do make lovely pets, but require more than you would think... again depending on breed age, etc.

I have a Hermanns tortoise she has both an indoor and outdoor enclosure, as soon as it warms up a bit she will be spending longer outside. For an indoor enclosure you could build a tortoise table, the little tort will stress in a glass tank and will not understand he can't get beyond the glass. A strip of card around the outside will help for today, so that he can't see out, but this really isnt anywhere near ideal.

A tortoise table can be simple to make, depending on torties size, a deep draw or an old upturned bookcase can be used.

We will give you all the help we can if you do decide to keep the little chap but without knowing his breed it is difficult knowing where to begin.

Even the food you are feeding is unsuitable. He needs a mixed diet of suitable weeds, but in the meantime supermarket florretti crispy lettuce contains suitable leaves.
Iceberg and cabbage are no-nos. Cabbage stops the calcium getting to his shell. The little chap also needs access to a shallow bowl of fresh water. If you have any dandelions to hand he will enjoy those!

Keep in touch and best of luck with the little fella!

Paula x

#3 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:14 PM

Totally agree with you on this one Paula... sorry mate sad.gif

As Paula has said, if you seriously want to try and give this little one a better life we will all be here to help & support you but there are some things (regardless of breed) he will def need to have...

And may I say - what type of animal sanctury is this???? From what you said its the last place I'd want my animals to go to if they got lost!!!! LOL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users