Weight of Tortoises

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_porkchop_71_*

Guest_porkchop_71_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2005 - 09:20 PM

Hi

Ive got two 9 month old torts approx 6cm, when i weighed them yesterday one weighed 82 grams the other 60 grams this seems to be a large difference could anyone advise me what sort of weight they should be

thanks

#2 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2005 - 07:38 AM

Actually thats big for their age and size, my 10 month olds are only 45 and 48 gms.
How often and how much do you feed them?

#3 Guest_porkchop_71_*

Guest_porkchop_71_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2005 - 12:34 PM

Hi Jo

ive measured them again and they are more like 7.5 - 8cm when i bought them from the pet shop (i know!) in April i was told they were a year old however when i checked their CITES certificate they said 08/2004 but from what ive read a CITES certificate dosent necessarily mean it relates to that particular tortoise! i feed them twice a day on a diet of 80% weeds (dandelions/chickweed/Tladys mix) and Kale, cucumber and fresh herbs and they are usually quite active they dont appear to have grown since i got them

#4 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2005 - 02:41 PM

Hello Rachel
I'm assuming that you are measuring the Plastron the underneath shell
I've just checked the hatchling ratio and they should way about 60/70 grams but the slower they grow the better, I think yours are a bit older than Jo's. Their weight and size are about a 2 year olds, are the shells smooth??
You put in brakets that they were pet shop bought (I know!) Then you may also know that you need to get them checked for worms and parasites, which has nothing to do with this thread but best to be safe than sorry.
Their diet, feed them once a day, some even miss days, but I don't, I would sooner give a small amount daily, it should be cleared up within an hour at most.
You should be able to feed two little torts on weeds at this time of year, cut out chickweed cucumber kale, and unless you are completetely sure on the herbs I would be careful with those too, it's not something I give my animals, so i'm not 100% on it, I'll try to find out for you, You have the T/ladys mix so you must have been on her site, look what weeds are suitable there, and there is, or was, a plant list in care sheets on this site.
IF and I say If there is a reason why you can't get weeds and need to supplemant the diet, then Floretti CRISPY salad bags, Romaine or Cos lettuce, Water cress, Rocket, Lambs lettuce and Raddicio.
But try to avoid these if possible, stick to weeds.
Are you using calcium and vitamin supplements???
Arnie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users