baby hermans sleep pattern

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hermanrocket_*

Guest_hermanrocket_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:05 PM

hi everyone

could anybody tell me how long on average a baby tortoise should sleep?

i have a herman approx 6 months old he is eating well and is lively when awake but he just seems to sleep alot,i mean he can sleep for about 14 hrs wakens has something to eat and drink wanders around his enclosure for a couple of hours and then sleeps again for another 12-14 hrs is this normal?

thanks in advance for answers/advice

#2 Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*

Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:37 AM

Hi

We have two 08's and they sleep alot. Pebble sleeps more than Hermie, but they take turns, Hermie will wander about for a couple of hours - walks over Pebble but it dosen't wake her. Then when he settles down for a kip Pebble wakes up and goes off for a mooch. But over all they sleep way more than they are awake.

They are always wide awake if there is food about, and have a bath every day which Pebble can still manage to kip in! But they seem happy and healthy and you have to remember they are babies from a long living animal. Think about how long Human babies sleep and they live as long if not longer than us.

They have alot of shell to make, and from what I have read on here the adults can be just as lazy rolleyes.gif

Read through this site - there are loads of entries about sleepy torts so don't worry, as long as they are eating and they have the lamps etc- info which is also on the site- they will be fine.

I worried about everything from toilet habits to what to feed them, everything you could want to know is on this forum. Have a read through the forum and the site and it will put your mind at rest. You can relax and enjoy them then biggrin.gif

Post a pic of the little ones though- gets everyone broody when they see the babies lol xxx

#3 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:23 AM

If they get cold, they go to sleep. If it gets hot they go to sleep, so you can't win. As long as they get up to eat, I shouldn't worry.

#4 Guest_hermanrocket_*

Guest_hermanrocket_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:34 AM

thanks for that advice it has put my mind at rest.
i will try and post a pic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users