- - - - -

opening a tortoises mouth esp Honey or Andy

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Libbys_*

Guest_Libbys_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2005 - 12:15 AM

I would like to no the correct way in order to open a tortoises mouth to check for any signs of ill health.
I no how to get to see in the mouth by offering food at eye level etc.
However what is the correct way to open and to keep open so I can observe as and when.
I do NOT want to hurt my tortoises by doing wrong do you hold the bottom lower jaw and try to gentle open I do not wish to use to much force.
Some have suggested placing a plastic spoon in the corner to keep open.
I do not want to stress them out doing it wrong.
I think I noticed today tiny red spots on one of my tortoises tongue and she is eating well and bathed only when I tried hand feeding her to get a closer look she did not take.
I have been feeding weeds and dandilions which seem to be her fav perhaps to many.
Can you also confirm when a tortoise is to be wormed once or twice a year and before hibernation?
I will hibernate mine this year if they are correct weight and show no signs of ill health etc.
I am concerned about these spots she has never had before and I will have a closer look in the morning as she may have to see the vet and I dont want to put of going thinking things will get better?
Can yourself Honey or Andy shed some light on this for me and many thanks in advance Libbys can they be caused by thorny food or to many dandilions I did notice a reply on the forum for a similar question this was suggested.
Well I look forward to your response once again many thanks and any others I may receive?

#2 Guest_Andy_*

Guest_Andy_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2005 - 11:06 AM

Libbys,

There is no correct or incorrect way of opening the tortoises mouth. When i have had to check mine, i tend to use some gentle Persuasion (I think that is how you spell it!!)

Most of the time they do not object and i can have a good look inside. Just be gentle and try not to force the mouth too much, they should oblige without too much fuss.

I hope this helps

#3 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2005 - 05:02 PM

Well sorry but have to disagree here Andy - for instance the position of the fingers, the part which you are holding on to, the means of opeing the jaw and whether you are attempting to open top or lower jaw. Make the wrong choice and you could either dislocate a jaw, damage an ear or do no amount of damage to the skull. I am suprised you feel that there is no incorrect way!! There are plenty and as far as I know only one correct way.
Sue

#4 Guest_Andy_*

Guest_Andy_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2005 - 05:10 PM

Sue,

This was the advice from the local vet that i took one of my tortoises too after it had mouth problems. I was also unsure at the time, this is why i went to the vets.

Sorry if this was incorrect, but i was doing what the vet had told me...

As you know the correct way, can you please share this with the rest of us?

#5 Guest_Libbys_*

Guest_Libbys_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2005 - 07:40 PM

Thankfully my tortoises mouth today seems to be fine I have not had to open her mouth as I checked eye level when she was feeding.
I think it may be what she had eaten although I always check them after each bath.
Many thanks Sue for your suggestions and correct way of opening of a tortoises mouth.
I will be very carefull if in the near future I do ever need to open either Tortoises mouth, even though they say they are hardy animals they in my opinion are so delicate to.
It is worth posting the correct way as I would not want any Tortoise owner to harm doing wrong as it is that of the tortoise whom would have to suffer thanks for reply.

#6 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:09 PM

Think you should change your vet Andy and if you require lots of knowledgeable advice from many experienced keepers why not join Tortsmad or Tortoise Trust, where you will be sure that the list owners will correct poor info given re ill informed owners.

#7 Guest_Honey_*

Guest_Honey_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:17 PM

Hmm - does seem rather odd that the list owner is not so well informed after all. Personally I would want to be a teensy weensy bit more knowledgeable before running such a forum ;-)

#8 Guest_Andy_*

Guest_Andy_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:02 PM

Excuse me!!, this was advice i was given when i first had the tortoises, no question has every been posted since on this forum. No one has every told me the correct way to open the tortoises mouth, so ho do you think we all learn?

We are have to learn by mistakes and the question has still not been answered, How do you open a tortoises mouth?

The more we can all learn the better we will become and keeping tortoises and giving on advice on forums such as this one.

#9 Guest_marvellous_*

Guest_marvellous_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:33 PM

Imagine the pain and suffering that our torts would go through if this procedure was carried out by someone unsure of what they are doing.Sorry Andy,but you say that nobody has shown you the correct way of doing this,so if you are unsure,please do not give us advice on this subject.Yes we all learn by our mistakes but in my eyes there is no room for mistakes when you could possibly end up making your tort suffer.

Regards,
Marvellous

#10 Guest_Libbys_*

Guest_Libbys_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2005 - 11:38 PM

I dont think we should always think the vet is always correct and especially as some say they are experienced in reptile care,when they are not its often made worse by their mistakes rather than just admit they have not had much knowledge in this type of care of reptiles.
Myself I have made sure in my local area the vet is qualified and knowledgeable of tortoise care? (so they say)
They are not the only vets around my area although very few really do now the correct care and treatment to give,so perhaps I should ask my vet the question and see his response,its all to often they say they are knowledgeable and turn out not to be, now I dont mind trial and era going from a vet that says they no there stuff then find they dont.
I will not make room for trial and era in treatment of my tortoises by vets whom lie in the first place.
Lucky my little lady in question tongue is fine now although if I have to go to the vet in future I will be able to give him knowledge I have learnt through speaking with you all on this forum if he nos his stuff im sure his answers will put my mind at ease to and should tally with all your observations.
Anyway im shutting my mouth now as I need to post another question to the forum thanks for the replies and hopefully we can all find the correct way without my poor tortoise being changed from a tortoise to a guinie pig haha I hope we can all find the correct way for any of us that may need to observe any tortoises mouth in our care.
Thanks

#11 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2005 - 08:06 AM

Very wise of you Libby, not all vets are knowledgeable about torts.
I know of one in my area who fed boiled egg to an anorexic tort and another who recommends shoving a tube up their bums and flushing them out (this is for worming believe it or not)
Needless to say I avoid them like a bargepole

#12 Guest_Libbys_*

Guest_Libbys_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2005 - 10:56 AM

Yes I have my doubts on if our local vet really is as he said he is.
I have never had to take to the vet my tortoises yet and I suppose I should question him further to see if he adds up. He has never come out with any of the above quotes from your post.
What will they come out with next?
I would be very protective of my tortoises so studying as much info as I can very conflicting at times but getting back to the main question of this topic its a bad mistake trial and era that can become fatal?
I have an observation book full of my observations in due course will share with you all.
This is to be left for if the unfortunate happens to me and I will rest knowing my tortoises whom I leave to will be cared for as I would had liked.
Lets just hope any vet does not ever make my tortoises a fatal one.
I would be sent to prison hehehe so then even I would not be able to care for them correct haha
So if anyone does no the correct procedure we would all I think like to no as I would rather do than any vet getting it wrong.

#13 Guest_marvellous_*

Guest_marvellous_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2005 - 10:56 PM

But back to Andy post please - how do we open a tortoises mouth Sue please.

#14 Guest_james14_*

Guest_james14_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2005 - 11:46 AM

bitchy,you are deffinatly not who I though you was.

#15 Guest_nikki_*

Guest_nikki_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2005 - 11:53 AM

Sorry James totally lost now. What does that mean

#16 Guest_nikki_*

Guest_nikki_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2005 - 11:55 AM

sorry marvellous sue is not here anymore :(  I have her email adress though if you want it or she will be at tortsmad
sure she will tell you there how to do it
nikki

#17 Guest_james14_*

Guest_james14_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2005 - 11:59 AM

Well read the message,its corrupt and very rood!
Regards and thanks,craig

#18 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2005 - 01:02 PM

James,
Please do not abuse the female members in this group, its you who is very rude !!! You obviously feel you need to fight Andys battles for him and have jumped on the bandwagon, I can assure you Andy is more than capable of handling this.
Given your age I think you should let the adults handle this.....please apologise to Marvellous.
As for corrupt, it would seem only you can see that, it does not come across like that at all.

#19 Guest_james14_*

Guest_james14_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2005 - 06:09 PM

Hello Joanne
I am 15 and so what.I am a very mature and think thats what some adults lak on.I was oveasaly bought up to be more muture than some adults,not naming anybody.I am not fighting things for him,I can see who is wrong and that is deffinatly not Andy.My parents have been reading through this and they spotted the petty and childish people and you was on there list.Your always willing to judge people but its wrong for them to judge you!
I am sure you do not want to be shown up by a 14 yrld kid,so when it come to mutturity I think you should not say anything.Hope this doesn't offend.
Best wishes and regards,the 15 yrd Craig

#20 Guest_newbietortie_*

Guest_newbietortie_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2005 - 06:57 PM

However, you cant spell little boy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users