- - - - -

breeding

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_annette_*

Guest_annette_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:51 PM

Hi, does any one know what age spur thighed tortoises breed and does it depend on the size of the female? Annette

#2 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:47 PM

Hiya, I asked my breeder when I went yesterday as she used to breed spurs and she said it depends on the size same as Hermanns. Usually from the age of about 8yrs upwards

#3 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:27 PM

Hi Annette
Yes it does depend on size, but I wouldn't breed too early say 8 years onwards at the earliest, as they maybe okay on the outside, but the inside of the female is not mature enough.
Look at it from a human point of view, they live about the same length as us, well maybe a bit longer and we don't start having children till we are teenagers.
Don't rush these things, let your tort get to completely be at ease with you, my girls can lay and let me take the eggs while they are laying.
I have made a nest site for them, it's in a small greenhouse with lovely soil and I have a pig lamp over it and keep it damp at all times during breeding season and so far they always lay their eggs in that spot.
Never dig them up with implements always use your hands :-)

Hi, does any one know what age spur thighed tortoises breed and does it depend on the size of the female? Annette
[/quote]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users