- - - - -

Can someone please help

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_simountain1_*

Guest_simountain1_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2005 - 11:22 PM

Our hermann tortoise george who is 3 years old decides that all he wants to do is sleep all day long and never comes out unless hes got out by us, in which case leaves him feeling very cold to touch. The longest he has slept is 3 days solid. Hes been out in the garden for the last few days but finds somewhere shaded and goes to sleep.
I bathe him im warm water every couple of days which he loves and it seems to wake him up but most of the time he's very sleepy.
Also i thought id weaned him off tortoise pellet food but hes being stuborn again and thats all he'll eat now after not eating fresh for a week the little beggar will only eat the green pellets and spits the rest out.
Any help or suggestions would be apreciated

#2 Guest_marvellous_*

Guest_marvellous_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2005 - 12:16 AM

Firstly can you tell us what your torts living accommadation is-what he is kept in,heating lighting etc.What breed of tort have you got?Also,these tort pellets are bad,they are high in protein which can lead to ill health.Just feed the weeds and DO NOT give in to him.He may not eat for a while but when hes hungry he will eat the weeds.Do you give calcium and vitamins and what is the temp in the hot and cold area of enclosure.Is your tort passing urates and going to the toilet as normal?Sorry about all the questions but these things we need to know.

Marvellous

#3 Guest_simountain1_*

Guest_simountain1_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2005 - 07:58 AM

Hes a hermann and is kept in an open top area which is 70 in the cool area and 80 in the warm area. He has a dual uv/heat lamp which is at one end

#4 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2005 - 08:47 AM

How long have you have this tort? Was he from a pet shop?
He sounds unnaturally sleepy and could need worming, please get a faecal sample asap and take it to the vet for analysis.
In the meantime you MUSNT feed him the pellets, they are high in protein and are really bad for him.......dont give in, he'll eat the right stuff eventually.......the longer you feed him the pellets the longer it will take to wean him off them. Torts are funny creatures when it comes to food, you have to withold the bad stuff completely, its the only way to get them of it.
Has your tort pooed lately........horrible question but what did it look like?

#5 Guest_simountain1_*

Guest_simountain1_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2005 - 12:02 PM

Ive had him for 3 months his certificate says hes slovakian. He has pood quite a bit actually and its green and firm not runny at all does that sound ok? Ill throw the pellets and persist with getting him to eat the gud stuff.

#6 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2005 - 05:48 PM

Get him an appointment at the vets asap, and a reputable tort vet at that. Imported Slovakian torts are renowned for being worm infested as most have been illegally caught in the wild. This is not a problem in the wild as they cover such a large area there is little danger they will re-infest. However in a captive environment there is no escape and re-infestion is a huge problem.
It sounds to me like this tort has a heavy worm load and it needs worming asap. This can be serious and sometimes fatal. In the meantime make sure you soak him a few times a day in warm water so he is hydrated.
Please let us know how it goes.

#7 Guest_simountain1_*

Guest_simountain1_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2005 - 05:54 PM

ok i will book him in now.
i'll let you know how he gets on. Thanks for your help your all really helpful here and i enjoy reading this forum.

#8 Guest_marvellous_*

Guest_marvellous_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2005 - 07:57 PM

Jo

Would it also be thought that the temp at the cool end should need to be cooler also.The tort needs to be able to escape from the heat.

Marvellous

#9 Guest_slowcoach_*

Guest_slowcoach_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2005 - 10:15 PM

Hi, my 2 3yr olds have been very lethargic - I 2 have had to wake them up and put them out - they have recently been checked and found to be in good health - I think the weather here has a lot to answer for - I am keeping a 60w basking lamp on all day - also when dull put on 160W u/v/heat lamp... I have been bathing them daily for a week to keep up their hydration - when they are awake they are feeding o.k. - What about yours - are they eating when you wake them up???

#10 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2005 - 07:53 AM

Good point Marvellous, I only work in celsius and am never sure with the conversion........hopefull he will see this post and thanks for pointing that out

#11 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2005 - 07:57 AM

Hi slowcoach,
Have you tried leaving them on a morning and seeing what they do themselves? Some torts can spend many hours in the wild in their burrows so they wont always be wide awake and raring to go in captivity Do they act normal when they are awake? You say they eat well so this is a good sign......have you have any problems getting them to wee or poo?

#12 Guest_simountain1_*

Guest_simountain1_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2005 - 04:27 PM

Just to let you all know ive been to the vets today.
They are going to send sample away for testing for worms and bacteria that shouldnt be there. Vet said that what we thought was he is 99% she. George will have to now become georgina.
I've to go back next week for results but she said he was in perfect health and the correct weight for his size.
She also gave us Electrolyte powder to put into his bathing water to keep her hydrated and told us to use it twice a day for 15 mins - half an hour. It should help her get her appitite back??
Hopefully all will be ok by next week. Ill keep you posted.
Thanks to all the people who replied, you are all most friendly and helpfull

#13 Guest_slowcoach_*

Guest_slowcoach_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2005 - 04:56 PM

Hi,
hope 'Georgina' is o.k. - it's so worrying when they seem to sleep all the time - is she eating when she is awake???

Karen L

#14 Guest_desertrat_*

Guest_desertrat_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2005 - 08:51 PM

hi all
i hope Georgina gets better too
My hermans tort is from Slovenia on the certificate and it seems to do the same sort of things Georgina does, staying in and not going outside much. Does worms cause pain to the tort? I might take him to the vet then if he has worms
Thanks to any help!
Rich

p.s. (also, i've heard somewhere you can de-worm a tort yourself - is this true or have i misunderstood whatever i was reading?)

#15 Guest_marvellous_*

Guest_marvellous_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2005 - 10:26 PM

Hi Rich,

You can treat your torts for worms yourself,with Panacur,however i cannot give you correct dosage,sorry.I know you have to weigh the tort and go by that.

Marvellous

#16 Guest_desertrat_*

Guest_desertrat_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2005 - 07:27 AM

hi Marvellous
Thanks
where do i get this Panacur from?

#17 Guest_marvellous_*

Guest_marvellous_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2005 - 10:30 PM

LOL,we thought one of ours was a 'he',at four years old now 'he' has shown more signs of being a she at the moment.You cant rely on anything for a few more years yet.Why not stick to the name George just incase,afterall,george is short for Georgina so you win either way.

Marvellous

#18 Guest_slowcoach_*

Guest_slowcoach_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2005 - 04:54 PM

Hi Jo,
If I leave them they stay under roof tile asleep - when I get them out and bath them they seem to get going and eat OK - however, today I just got them out and put them on the patio area of enclosure in the sun - I put food down for them - they ignored it and both spent all morning - early afternoon under a lavender bush in the shaded area - I then put them back near the green hse and put some seedum leaves,vetch and some herbiseed weeds down for them - ' they both had a feed - then 'Ronnie' put himself away into the greenhse under the tile, Jim carried on munching and then has put himself away -
They have been out there nearly a month now - and they seem to want to sleep all day - if I let them - They have had a check up and were found to be fine - good fiberous Pooh!!! a bit runny but that could be because I am bathing them so much... They don't pooh/ wee regularly .....
The weather down here is sunny/windy and a little bit chilly in the wind - The greenhse temp is about 25 -30 during sunny days - and the warm area stays about 30 with help of Basking Lamp - the tile they have chosen to sleep under is in the warmer end of the green hse - but in the shade of a potting bench - the basking lamp is hung on the potting bench and light warms a paving slab for them to bask on..
Should I be changing anything???

Karen L

#19 Guest_marvellous_*

Guest_marvellous_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2005 - 10:36 PM

Hi Karen,

Are they passing their urates normally ie)white creamy texture?If its creamy then they are well hydrated.If gritty then they need more fluids.
When you put them out on the patio,had you warmed them up first before putting them outside?They need to be warm to get them going and to aid digestion of food.When ours poo in their bath it still comes out solid.What food have they had?

Marvellous

#20 Guest_slowcoach_*

Guest_slowcoach_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2005 - 09:42 AM

Hi Marvellous,
Their urates vary from creamy to being clear...but not gritty. Poo is not runny but 'soggy' very fiberous, formed but does not hold its shape (if you know what i'm saying!! yuk..) - they get all the weeds I can find from the list along with grown 'herbiseed' which I brought from Tlady site - occasionally as a treat they have tomato and a bit of cucumber - but that is very rarely...
Yes I warm them first by putting under basking lamp - or putting them out in the sun in a warm spot - also bathing them warms them up!
I am trying an experiment today - I have moved the basking lamp further away from where they put themselves to sleep - the area they are sleeping is about 20 -25c the basking area varies between 30-50c (warmer when sun is out obviously). I am not going to get them out this morning - i will watch and see if they decide to wake up and come out to warm up in the basking area -
First thing this morning the temp was about 10-15c (without any artificial heat) in the green house - rising to 20 -25c by about 9am!! - It's not very sunny at the moment - and looks like we may get a shower or two later - so not sure my 2 will bother coming out at all...
I'm quite happy to leave them alone if this is ok - but the week before last they did not eat for a week and did not come out - I am worried that I am not doing the right thing!!!!
Karen L
:'(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users