- - - - -

Can someone please help

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_simountain1_*

Guest_simountain1_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2005 - 10:39 PM

I tell you though after this ill be writing a sharp e-mail to the place i got him from.
NO ONE PLEASE VENTURE NEAR BUY-A-Tortoise.info on the internet.
We tend to call him geogie most of the time anyway so i suppose the name will suite either male or female.

#22 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2005 - 08:32 AM

Oh no not Buyatortoise !!! I recently had to do an essay for my TT course about good and bad tortoise web sites..........I used them as my bad example.
I think you need to get a faecal sample checked first. Collect one from each tort seperately and asked for them to be checked. Most vets are able to check them for worms, ring your local one and ask if they do it, they'll probably have the correct containers for you to collect the poop in
Once you get the results back, you'll know whether its worms or something else. Torts tend not to stay out in the sun all day, its a common misconception. In the wild they would come out on a morning to bask and warm up and again in the afternoon when the temp is a bit cooler. During the hottest parts of the day many torts stay hidden or in the shade. If there eating, weeing and pooing thats usually a good sign, but the worm problem needs clarification......especially as they came from that website.
Hope some of this helps

#23 Guest_simountain1_*

Guest_simountain1_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2005 - 12:43 PM

We took the vet a sample yesterday which we will have the results shortly. It was one which was reccomended by a local vet. She specializes in tortoises and exotic animals and gave us some very good advice.
There are worms in the poo cause you can see them wriggle grrr, but the vet wanted to find out if she is carrying anything else as well and then she can be treated for them at the same time.
Apart from that she said that she is in perfect health and the not eating is a characteristic of not being captive bred as they arnt used to the foods given to them captively.
Im in west yorkshire so if anyone wants the number for the vet i went to just let me know

#24 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:06 PM

If the worms are already present and you can see them, then you do need to get the vet to worm them unfortunately :-( but at least you know they have them and its vital to get rid of them too as in captivity they will re-infest themselves.
Your vet will either use Panacur and pop it in your torts mouth or Systemax will needs tubing into the stomach. It doesnt sound nice but its so unpalatable its the only way to get them to take it and is widely thought to be the most effective worm medicine. The panacur is fine too tho altho it does need to be done again in a few weeks where as the systemax only need one application. Its worth ringing your vet in advance and just checking which method they use.
I would avoid the tomatoes (as its a fruit) and cucumber, it can cause gut flora which would also result in runny poop. Ideally tort poop should be fibrous but hard. It quite possibly that your torts lethargy is down to the worm load and probably the stress of transportation due to them being wild caught. I would be sending a stern email to Buyatort, I have personally never heard of anyone with a CB tort with worms and perhaps an e-mail complaining to DEFRA?
Hope this helps

#25 Guest_simountain1_*

Guest_simountain1_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2005 - 04:09 PM

I sent them an email last night basically they didnt care if i knew then what i know now id have found a reutable breeder.

#26 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2005 - 04:16 PM

Sorry I didnt notice Deserats post, I suggest you also have a faecal sample done asap and its probably best to let the vet administer the correct dosage. Heavy worm loads can cause severe illness and can be fatal if not treated.
The golden rule is if your tort is from Slovenia then there is a high chance it has worms......but please let your vet know the country of origin as dealers arent bothered about mixing species either, this can result in cross-contamination
Hope this helps

#27 Guest_desertrat_*

Guest_desertrat_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2005 - 04:30 PM

Thanks Jo

Is it possible to see these worms? sorry if it sounds a bit obvious

desrat

#28 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2005 - 08:42 PM

Its a good question :-) You cant always see worms, in fact some adult torts can act completely normal and the owner can be unaware of the problem. Quite often a faecal sample looked at under a microscope can be the only way to tell.....but usually the more worms there are, the high the chance you will see them. But it isnt always the case.
Hope this helps

#29 Guest_desertrat_*

Guest_desertrat_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2005 - 09:27 PM

okey doke, thanks Jo

#30 Guest_marvellous_*

Guest_marvellous_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2005 - 10:21 PM

Rich,one of our torts passed a worm that was about 5 inches long,it was gross.Might be worth while mentioning to,that when you take torts to be wormed by a vet,make sure that they dont use Ivermectin.Ask what they are going to use to treat the worms BEFORE they do it.I f they say Ivermectin,simply pick your tort up and walk out and find another vet.This treatment can be fatal to torts.

Marvellous

#31 Guest_desertrat_*

Guest_desertrat_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:16 AM

Thanks Marvellous
Well, i just had a look, in and around his......you know. I can't find anything. It's wet but firm and green.
When i go to the vets i'll make sure he doesn't use Ivermectin. Do I get this Panacur from the vets or at a shop?

Thanks for replying to my last post
Rich

#32 Guest_marvellous_*

Guest_marvellous_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:36 PM

I dont know if your vet would sell it to you Rich because then he would lose out on a treatment charge:-(.I think you can get it from a farm suppliers shop,the same ones that sell hemp.If you mail Sue she will be able to confirm this and also help you work out how much Panacur you will need,this will depend on the weight of your tort.If your tort is heavily infested it may be wise to have the Systamex treatment done.

HTH
Marvellous

#33 Guest_desertrat_*

Guest_desertrat_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2005 - 10:16 PM

Thanks Marvellous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users