Home Sweet Home...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:15 PM

Here's my outdoor enclosure, it is 15ft long by 6.5 ft wide. It is completly covererd in mesh to protect my little treasures! The shed is 5ft(l) x 3ft(w) x 5ft(h) and has electric, only used if we have a couple of cold days in a row - I hasten to add it's not been used for over a week!!!

The weed patch:

The Housing area: (they can get into the coldframe from the shed)

Inside the shed/heated area:

#2 Guest_kaybee_*

Guest_kaybee_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:19 PM

Oh wow Dawn, biggrin.gif its all so big and interesting! Your torts must love it! wub.gif
What type of lamp do have in the shed, is it light and heat or just heat?

#3 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:13 PM

Its a megaray combi - nowt but the best for my babies!!! :rolleyes:

#4 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:41 PM

Hey Dawn that looks fab! Your lot are going to have a lovely summer, room for a pony!! :D (and a few hatchlings!) :D

Paula x

#5 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:15 AM

Fantastic. I think we spend more time designing our tortoise enclosures than the rooms in our house

#6 Guest_Robink_*

Guest_Robink_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2009 - 11:35 AM

Lin, I think your right about the decorating of torts enclosures!!! :D I have had to make mine smaller as Cerys cant get on the lawn to play!!!! Kids uh!!!!!! ;) :D

#7 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:22 PM

Hi Dawn,
I love how you have done your enclosure and shed,your torts are so lucky,i have had to adapt my outside enclosure as H found out how to escape.
jay and h

#8 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:40 PM

Some more pics..... some may be simular to ones already posted above but show how the enclosure has 'matured' in the last couple of months..

From the outside - the enclosure is brick wall at the back, fence panels to the sides and a trelis to the front - it is fully covered by wire mesh so is totally 'safe', the gate is padlocked when I'm not around although my actual garden is very secure anyway

The weed patch coming along nicely

The coldframe - when its cold/raining I tend to put extra food in here so they can still eat whilst keeping dry

Inside the shed - the heated end, this was taken earlier - the last few days I've been putting the heat lamp (a combined megaray) on for a few hours to rouse them in the morning!

The hebe bush, if you look really carefully you can see Tally in agmonst the grass in the middle of the pic - she's out in the rain (yep it was raining whilst I was taking these!!)

Another angle of the weed patch end!

Inside the coldframe

#9 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:01 PM

Looks great Dawn! :D

Do you find the little guys use the cold frame much? I was thinking of doing something similar (eventually).
Another question.... Do you have any other heating in there? Something for nightime only for later in the year as background heat when the temperatures drop? Or will you bring them indoors then? I was thinking of getting some sort of tubular heating.

Paula x

#10 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:52 PM

It's mainly the older three that use it though I have seen all of them in there - thats why I put there food in there when its raining to encourage them to use it. At the moment I haven't got any background heat but when I finish uni next week I'll have some free time so I'm going to try and insulate the shed then get a tubular heater for the night time when it gets colder. My aim is to keep them out there year round and only bring them in for the actual hibernation. I'm aiming to do the wind-down out there too...

To insulate the shed I'm going to line it with the roofing felt, then put sheets of polystyline over the top of that then something like hardboard or plyboard over that! I will then get a tubular heater to go along the back wall. I have already lined the floor with the roofing felt and that seems to work....

#11 Guest_Robink_*

Guest_Robink_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:39 AM

Paula, re the coldframe, I have one in part of the enclosure and mine use it quite regular they seem to use it in the rain??? Lidls have them on offer again.

#12 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:57 PM

Ooooh thanks Kay, I will have to go and have a look, I think there is a Ldls in Taunton!

Paula x

#13 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:26 PM

Dawn you might find its worthwhile getting top quality insulation like Kingspan. It does cost a bit more than polystyrene but to keep your tortoises outside as long as possible it would probably be worth it and its not hugely expensive for the amount that you want.

I tried using a megaray in a wooden hut and I just couldnt control the temperature at all. In cold weather the lamp was going to need to be so much lower but then if the sun came out even for an hour in October my hut was very quickly far too hot. Maybe it would have worked if I'd insulated the shed really well and blocked up the tortoise exit - I was losing a load of heat out the door! Also the hut I was using was a kennel made for a small dog, maybe a larger one would have a more stable temp.

Your security is impressive. Apart from everyhitng else it would be hard to find the torts in your enclousre as they have so many great hidey holes. Thanks for putting all those pics up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users