Boy Or Girl?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sharon_*

Guest_sharon_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:06 PM

Hi guys was wondering if you can help me, I have took this tort in as its previous owner did not want it and was gonna set it free. I already have a Horsefield tort so I have knowledge of keeping a tort. This tort is a Hermans I think I have done some research but I just start to get a bit confused. This tort is now in the correct enviroment as it has never had UV or heat source. I am actually surprised at how well the tort has adapted it is in good health it looks well and eats well, its eyes are nice and clear and has no snotty nose. The prob is I dont know what to call it. Tort is between 4-5 years it has concave belly which sort of determines it is male but I have also heard that females also can have this. I dont want the tortoise to breed it will be staying on its own I just need a name.

Also as I do have another tort not of the same breed can I at any point in the future introduce them or is this not advised. I understand that I will have to keep this tort quarentined for a year and would not dream of mixing them now. It is just a querie say in a year or so time would they be able to roam in the outdoor enclosure together and be fine or would the seperation be a indefinate thing.

Thanks for your time guys

#2 Guest_sharon_*

Guest_sharon_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:40 PM

I really need a name for my tortoise.

#3 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:26 AM

Hi Sharon, Welcome to the forum. I think everybody must be getting over the exesses of the weekend, as you'd normally have a reply by now. I think she's female as her tail isn't that big, although you say she has a concave belly. Dawn's our resident sex expert; no doubt she will answer soon and I think on the next post Paula has put a link to a site which would help.
Putting 2 species together is not recommended as different species are susceptible to different things and one can be harbouring something quite happily, but the other species can pick it up with bad results. Also mating habits are quite different. Some species do a lot of banging shells together and they have harder shells and some do a lot of biting and have tougher skins, but if you had two females it wouldn't be such a problem.
Having said that a lot of people do mix their tortoises and Hermanns/Horsefields/Spur-thighs aren't so very different.
As you say, you need a long quarantine period as if they've just picked up a virus it can take months to show. 6 months is normal, but then add in hibernation and it's about a year.

#4 Guest_sharon_*

Guest_sharon_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:32 AM

Hi lynn am getting so much conflicting with people saying def male and def female.

Like I said I dont have any intentions of breeding just giving her a happy life.

I only aquired the tort a week ago I have no papers to go with it and due to how the other lady got her hands on it in the first place I will never get papers for it.

At first I was worried but it has been explained to me that I cannot sell it on or breed from it cause I couldnt sell the babies, I have no intentions to do either I just want to give it a better life. This tort has had no UV or heat source for the best part of 3year and the lady was just going to let it go free and I couldnt have that so I have took it in and gonna try give it a new start in life. I read someone eles post on UV where as another tort had not had UV and as it had acclimatised it was now pointless to give it whilst in its enclosure is this right.

The tort lived in a shoe box and thats how it came to me I have now got it in a table with the correct lighting and UV this tort only lived on pre packed salad as and when but now I have introduced it to weeds and she i loving it. I am in the middle of building a outside tort enclosure for the pair but understand it will have to be divided for the 2 of them I wouldnt put my baby Horsefield in any danger. Had a bad experience with my last tort and I broke my heart for a week.

I just want to do what is best for this tort I really dont uderstand the hibernation process which is something I will have to research. I alo undertand that it i best keep hermanns outside but am so scared and protective over them both due to what happened before I wouldnt be able to settle so I need to build a enclosure like Alcatraz if you know what I mean.

Thanks for your reply Lynn you have been helpful its name was Shell but for me new home new life new name o determining the sex is quite important so I can give her a name that suits. Sorry for ranting on.

#5 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2009 - 06:53 PM

hi i know i dont post often but i think you need to get your tortoise identified correctly,i dont believe it is a hermans tortoise and suspect it may be a tunisian ,as i dont keep these i cant say for certain but feel as they dont hibernate it really is important to know for sure before winter time and the decision to hibernate has to be made.
terry

#6 Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*

Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:27 PM

Hi and welcome,

Have to say I agree with terry, the way the plates overlap is not a hermanns traite, not up on the other breeds sorry blush.gif

Lovely looking tort though. Beautiful colours on him/her.

xx

#7 Guest_sharon_*

Guest_sharon_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:03 PM

Ok so how do I find out exactly what it is I have got, it looks so much like a Hermanns though I am no expert so I am not disputing what you are saying.

I am now intrigued as to what it is I have got, can anyone help me on this or should I put another post on the forum to see if any one can determine exactly what it is.

So I can take it that it is a female and do you want me to take more pics and pop them on.

All help guys would be appreciated it would be nice to find out what tort I have. I do know where the tort has come from and how it got here it wasnt being looked after properly and previous owner was gonna let it go and just look at her she is adorable.

Please need advice on this so I know what I have to do with it in the winter time.

Thanks for your help so far guys please keep info coming and if pics are what is needed then I will sort that and pop them on a new thread. Id rather do my background work on it so I can provide it with what it needs in life.

#8 Guest_Annecaroline_*

Guest_Annecaroline_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:26 PM

Not sure what type of tortoise, but i too would say it is a female.

Anne

#9 Guest_sharon_*

Guest_sharon_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:46 PM

Am gonna take it to a pet shop now and try find out will more than likely draw a blank but its worth a try.

Other than that am running out of ideas a might see if a can get it in to a rep vet but again a wont hold out much hope to finding out what it is I dont think.

Will scour internet later but no doubt I will come up with similarities and there could be loads to choose from.

Might take more pics later and post another thread see if I get any joy there. Gonna go pet store now will keep ya posted.

Thanks guys. :dry:

#10 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:26 PM

hi you should contact egytiandan through shelled warriors or failing that Andy Highfield of the tortoise trust either of these would be able to tell you for certain the subspecies you have and what care it requires overwinter.also its hard to be certain as these are unfamiliar to me but it may well be a male.
terry

#11 Guest_sharon_*

Guest_sharon_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:05 PM

I took it to the pet shop and she looked through some books and we still drawn a blank there was a vets next door so I took it there, Vet reckons it could well be a mediteranian spur thigh and also reckons female but he said the shell is kind of throwing him as if it is a med spur thigh it should be bigger and is also a very light in weight. Any ways as luck would have it, it pood in the box so that has allowed the vet to do a feacal he has taken some photos and is gonna try identify for certain.

Vet said it is though in good shape considering it has had no UV or basking bulb, I have given it UV and sunglo bulb to bask under and it is always sat under the bulb.

Its important for me to know so I can prepare it if it needs to be hybernated and also so I can get all the temps right as I understand different species may need different care.

How do I get in touch with shelled warriors hun cause at the mo I really could do with the help on this one.

#12 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:25 PM

Shelled warrirs are www.shelledwarriors.co.uk

Hope they can help

#13 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:39 PM

Hiya, have found this website...

http://www.chelonia....udo_gallery.htm

See if any of these look familiar, I think she looks like a testuso graeca ibera??? Have to say I'm only really familiar with hermanns!!!

Heres a link to the Tortoise trust website...

Are you able to put on some clearer pictures at all?

Sorry couldn't help anymore.... good luck, and let us know x

#14 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:33 PM

Hi Sharon - lovely looking tortoise you got there! If you don't have an ID for her or him yet then you might want to try posting your pics on the shelled warriors forum like Lin says. I can guarantee you will get a good ID on their sexing/iD board.

This forum is great but its mainly only Hermanns poeple on here, me included, so sorry I don't knw what species you have either.

Terry is right as well, you need to know if your tortoise is the sort that hibernates or not so you can plan your summer and autumn care of her.

Best wishes, Oz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users