- - - - -

Sad Tortoise in Pet Shop

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Gwen_*

Guest_Gwen_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2005 - 12:33 PM

I was at a pet shop the other day buying mealworm for the birds and I saw a tortoise in a sorry state there. It is about 10" long and it is really bumpy. It was in a viv about the size of a shoe box with no water and a bit of dried grotty food. It had nowhere to hid and the termperature was really high. It seemed really bright and when I was looking at it it came right over to me. It touched my heartstrings and I am seriously considering going to buy it today. I have one tortoise and a very large garden. I would easily be able to accommodate it. Does anyone know if there are long term health problems associated with pyramiding to this extent?

Thanks Gwen

#2 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2005 - 01:11 PM

Hi Gwen,

As hard as this is, you must walk away :-(
Every time someone buys a tort from a pet shop, its condeming 2 more :-( The over-priced, wild-caught, worm-loaded, illegal tortoise you buy will give the owner enough money to buy 2 more.
Its so hard.....I wont even go to pet shops that sells torts because I find it too distressing. Some innocent buyer will take it tho, and so the vicious cycle will begin again, but you wont have the guilt of lining a dealers pocket or sentencing any more torts to their inevitable short life.
Complain about the conditions to the owner, altho in my experience they take no notice at all, they arent interested in the animals welfare merely the money. The RSPCA arent much cop either :-(
Try writing to DEFRA about their slack, inept policies on illegally imported torts..........tell everyone you know not to buy torts from pet shops at all. Some people have even been know to put stickers on the vivs telling customers its highly likely the tort is wild caught and to contact their local licensing officer.
Its the tip if the iceberg, but its better than nowt.
Jo

#3 Guest_james14_*

Guest_james14_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2005 - 02:56 PM

Hello there
I disagree,does this tort deserve this life?
If it has a illness or is dying perhaps you can offer a better home to spend its last days,months or years.
I have bought many from pet shops because they do not deserve that life.
craig

#4 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2005 - 05:19 PM

That is exactly what your supposed to feel James........guilt that your leaving there. Didnt you read what I wrote about dealers?? Would you be happy that by buying that one (which probably wont last long and will cost a fortune at the vets) you will be sentencing another two tortoises to the same fate? Do you think that is not cruel?
Perhaps you should consider the wild caught trade and its consequences, the more wild caught animals we buy the quicker tortoises will become extinct in the wild.
Incidentally, no I dont think that tort deserves that life, he deserves to be left in the wild where he was caught from in the first place.

#5 Guest_nikki_*

Guest_nikki_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2005 - 11:29 PM

Agree 100% Jo. While people are falling for this many more tortoises will die. This is just one that has been seen and they are thinking of buying. Thousands more are all over the country:( For each thousand that is sold 2000 will be purchased in the same condition. No mention of species here either. If it is different to the species already owned that is 2 more dead torts :-( Then what - back to the shop for 2 more?
Nikki

#6 Guest_james14_*

Guest_james14_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2005 - 09:37 PM

I agree with you on this one,though I am not to worried on cost its the tors welfare that is the mane concern.

#7 Guest_nikki_*

Guest_nikki_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2005 - 09:43 PM

Not sure that I understand this reply James. On one hand you say rescue it ( even though it will not be a rescue) and on the other you say you agree not to!
N

#8 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2005 - 08:01 AM

James please make your mind up which argument you agree with, its very confusing

#9 Guest_Indi_*

Guest_Indi_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2005 - 05:37 PM

i must say the same happend to me just half an hour ago, i was very tempted to purchase one of many poor and ill looking tortoises, one was trying to eat a plastic plant due to having no food, another continued to race up and down edge of a viv for the whole 40minutes i was their. but it would just be as heart breaking to see it die with me.so i opted out.

i understand what you where saying by giving it a good end to its life. but the tortoise situation ends as soon as you leave the shop as your money goes straight into the pockets of the scum who are treating these tortoise soo bad.

i must say it was hard to stop myself from purchasing one, but i thought it would be wise to have a look on the forum to see your views and opinions.

its a real shame situations like this arise, and sad that people think that the tortoises are totally healthy due to the fact they have no previous knowledge of torts. thus making this poor standard for torts to continue.

#10 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:49 PM

Hi Will,

As difficult as it is, you did the right thing. Pet shops prey on peoples guilt at leaving an animal there, its how they make their money. Unfortunately the law needs to tighten up drastically to help these beautiful creatures before they become endangered in the wild. We cant keep taking them to order and expect the species to be there indefinately. There are already 4 species of giant Galapagos tortoise extinct due to mans intervention, when will we learn :'(
Best wishes

#11 Guest_amaccaxx_*

Guest_amaccaxx_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:42 PM

Hi Gwen,
I posted a similar message on here a couple of weeks ago. It took me all my strength just to walk away from the pet shop and leave the poor little mite in there. I phoned the RSPCA who were not that helpful, also I posted some good info on tortoise husbandry to the pet shop. I did this when they were shut as the owner was very 'off' with me when I had questioned the tortoises conditions. I don't know if things have changed as I know if I go in and look I will only come away crying again if they havn't. It is so awful and I know exactly how you're feeling but all that has been said here is good advice. Dealers and pet shops are only in the tortoise trade to make money! Sad but true, and I don't know how anyone who deals in torts can enjoy spending the money which is made from them!
Allie x

#12 Guest_robo_*

Guest_robo_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2005 - 11:56 AM

I think Breeders in the uk are also to blame for this, as they dont sell there captive bred torts to pet shops. Why?? Becaise they dont make as much money selling to pet shops. I know of one pet shop owner who keeps her own torts and is always speaking to me about them. But like most people that want a pet they will go to a pet shop and if breeders in the uk refuse to give them, they will continue to import them. Although pet shops and dealers are to blame, Breeders in the uk are to in there own way. Ive been keeping torts for about 5 years and have been visiting this website most of the time and got most of my information from on looking after them. I know some people will disagree about what ive said, anyway chow for now, Andy

#13 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:49 PM

How on earth can you blame breeders!! Breeders refuse to sell their torts to pet shops because of the appalling husbandry advice they give. Incidentally you will pay twice as much at a pet shop for a tort than from a breeder.
Your right I totally disagree with what you say, your trying to justify people dealing in torts by blaming genuine breeders who are very picky who their babies go to........and rightly so in my book

#14 Guest_Blighty_*

Guest_Blighty_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2005 - 09:38 PM

If you report it to "The Blue Cross" they will check it out and if necessary take action, they will make sure it will be cared for correctly, that's my experience.
Julie..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users