Another update...

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:23 PM

Hi all,

Just thought I'd post some photo's that I took last night of the eggs, sorry there's 8 of them!!!! In all of them you can see a dark 'splodge' and they all have veins from what I can see - it's a bit hard to tell for sure as they are in a container so it's hard to tell from those angles. In Egg 7 it almost looks like a mini tortoise shape!!
Egg 1

Egg 2

Egg 3

Egg 4

Egg 5

Egg 6

Egg 7

Egg 8

#2 Guest_kaybee_*

Guest_kaybee_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:37 PM

AHHH, what cute veiny dark splodges they are!! blink.gif It must be so exciting to see the splodges getting bigger!
It seems amazing that in about a months time (?) they will be tinsy little babies wandering around!! wub.gif wub.gif
K.;-)

#3 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:15 PM

Awwww Dawwwwn!! How you gonna wait?? I've filled up and have a lump in my throat even at the sight of those little eggs.... I'm gonna be a blubbering wreck when you post the first pictures!! wub.gif

Paula x

#4 Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*

Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:45 PM

AWWWWWWW wub.gif wub.gif This is looking like you're gonna be a mum ohmy.gif biggrin.gif smile.gif sad.gif wub.gif rolleyes.gif <maternal rollercoaster<

Isn't it mad that a real little tortoise can come out of an egg!! and that you can actually get emotionally attached to eggs!!

On a more serious note hows it going? Is everything just plodding along or are you having to adjust things to keep the temps/ humidity right? What temp hav you gone for? I'd be a wreck!!

Still got me fingers crossed for you xx

#5 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:04 AM

You'll be able to tell us which is easier; being a children's nurse or tortoise nurse. I've got a feeling we can guess the answer......... blush.gif

#6 Guest_Robink_*

Guest_Robink_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2009 - 01:04 PM

Wow!!!!!!! Those pics just egg-mazing!!!!!! I am getting broody again biggrin.gif biggrin.gif wink.gif

#7 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2009 - 05:32 PM

Hi Dawn,
great photo's i bet you are so excited,i would love to watch them hatch,do you have a cam on them near the time of hatching?
Jay and h

#8 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:20 PM

OMG!!!!! Not long now.......getting excited.....I shall post some more photos of how they are now in day or two...... I think we're day 48 now!!!!

#9 Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*

Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:54 PM

Everything still crossed for you here xxxx

#10 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:59 PM

Thank you! wub.gif wub.gif

#11 Guest_layla_*

Guest_layla_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:57 PM

All things crossed here to. wub.gif wub.gif

Jacqui.

#12 Guest_darran_*

Guest_darran_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:47 PM

Hi Dawn,
Getting close now. You may be able to hear them inside the eggs a few days before they are due. Dont panic if you cant hear anything.I have only managed to hear a few. When they pip a hole in the shell it can take a day or two to break free. Having said that I have look at the eggs first thing in the morning and found a shell broken in half and the little tort has hatched and has burried down. It is a fantastic experience which is wonderful (and scary) to watch. My first eggs are due the 17th July.
Darran

#13 Guest_Andy_*

Guest_Andy_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE (darran @ Jun 24 2009, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Dawn,
Getting close now. You may be able to hear them inside the eggs a few days before they are due. Dont panic if you cant hear anything.I have only managed to hear a few. When they pip a hole in the shell it can take a day or two to break free. Having said that I have look at the eggs first thing in the morning and found a shell broken in half and the little tort has hatched and has burried down. It is a fantastic experience which is wonderful (and scary) to watch. My first eggs are due the 17th July.
Darran

Wow, looking forward to the next update know!!

Have you got good homes for all of the little ones?

#14 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:36 PM

I just don't know how you can cope with the excitement/nerves! I would be a wreck!! rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif
Best of luck to all who are waiting!!! We are all holding our breath!! wub.gif

Paula x

#15 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:37 PM

Wow, thanks!!! Mine are due around the 5th July - I still don't know if they are fertile but I candled them again last night and I think most if not all have changed. I'm just gonna upload the photo's now, see what you think...back shortly...

#16 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:02 PM

Day 46 In the Shelley (yes thats my name!!!) Household......

(in the same order as before...)

Egg 1

Egg 2

Egg3

Egg 4

Egg 5

Egg 6

Egg 7

Egg 8

Darran & Andy (or anyone else that has experience of raising eggs!) any comments??? Do they look fertile? You can't really see it on the photo's but they look as though they have veins and some of them the dark blob has moved a bit, also in most of them from what I can see the yolk(?) is at the bottom of the egg.....

#17 Guest_kaybee_*

Guest_kaybee_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:52 PM

Oh wow Dawn, its so exciting isnt it?!!! wub.gif wub.gif
I was looking on the Wolfy website you mentioned re his book yesterday and he had a pic of a hatchling still in the egg with the yolk, its fascinating, I didnt realise how much smaller the hatchling is to the egg cos the yolk looked bigger than the baby!! Ah so diddy!! wub.gif
Good luck, everything is crossed!!
xx K.;-)

#18 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:27 PM

Number 8 looks to have grown?/moved? Dawn,
look at the pen markings on the first lot of pics compared to the second one. Aren't they just gorgeous!
Not long now..... biggrin.gif

Paula x

#19 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:12 PM

I can see definate changes in no's 1, 2, 4, 7, 8. Tho' the others all have changes too! They all seem to have veins (I think!) but cos I've never seen eggs incubating I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is right or not!

Just really hard to take photos, hold the camera, all without disturbing the eggs!!!! rolleyes.gif Things I do for you lot!!! Suppose you're all gonna want me to sit up 24/7 soon in case they hatch!!!! biggrin.gif

Ho-hum! I shall find out in 2 to 3 weeks or there abouts!

#20 Guest_layla_*

Guest_layla_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:03 PM

Don't know about asking you to stay up all night, I was expecting you to. laugh.gif laugh.gif

But more importantly hope you've booked your paternity leave.

Emergency bag packed ready for the due date, I suggest, camp bed,sleeping bag, bucket (will leave the explanation of this one to your imagination), oh and maybe some of those food sachets that spacemen use, wouldn't like you to go hungry for us. camera, still and video, battery back-up, maybe the use of gas and air not needed, but pop chemist for some kalms. laugh.gif laugh.gif

But remember above all else, its all a natural part of motherhood, so DON'T panic. laugh.gif laugh.gif

wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

Jacqui

X

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users