- - - - -

Another update...

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*

Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:40 PM

They have definitely changed... but like you say what does that mean?!!? There are definite tortoise shapes in there- but what happens to eggs that don't develop, do they also change?

I don't know how you do it- we are on pins here!!

If I cross everything any harder I won't be able to get upstairs... xxxx

#22 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2009 - 07:32 PM

hi Dawn as you know i have a clutch of hermans laid on the 10/5/09 and another 14/5/09.the ones from the 10th the membrane at the top of the egg has started to pull down this makes the egg look as if it is drying out inside.you cant always see this but if you can its a pretty sure sign they are well developed.
terry

#23 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2009 - 07:49 PM

Not quite sure what this means??? Laymans terms please!!! LOL!!!

I did notice tonight that the eggs seem to have got whiter??? Also I very carefully picked one up and it def feels heavier than before???

#24 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2009 - 04:41 AM

QUOTE (lilacgeorge @ Jun 26 2009, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not quite sure what this means??? Laymans terms please!!! LOL!!!

I did notice tonight that the eggs seem to have got whiter??? Also I very carefully picked one up and it def feels heavier than before???

inside of the egg is a thin membrane or skin that lines the egg,like when you peel a hot hens egg and the shell comes off but you need to tear the skin underneath to peel it cleanly.if you see the top of the egg looks empty and the light shines through the shell this has happened .im not sure why this happens but if things like humidity and temperature are incorrect this skin can become very thick and rubbery so the hatchling cant escape or they have a hard time and are poorly.some can die soon after hatching and also they may become trapped and die in the shell.if you look closely at an egg often just before they hatch you can see dark scratch marks appear inside the shell (they look a bit like a soft pencil mark )this is the hatchling tearing at this skin so it is easier to make a hole in the eggshell.once they have pipped their immediate need for oxygen has been satisfied dont be tempted to pick at the egg as they may still have a large yolksac.what i do is i place this egg in another pot in the incubater on a wad of damp kitchen roll to stop the membrane getting to dry and wait often 24 to 48 hours while the yolksac is absorbed this way you avoid any dangers of it getting damaged and an infection getting in.so long as they have plenty shade in their enlcosure they can go outside from day one .good luck with yours.
terry

#25 Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*

Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2009 - 12:23 PM

OMG outside from day 1!!!! Harsh!! lol only kidding, that must be hard though, mine were 6 months when I had them and didn't put them out for a while, although they are out as often as poss now. They are so small and perfect and cute and... well they're so small!! unsure.gif

It must be tempting to help them out though, How do you know when they need a hand and when they are just doing fine? The more I read on eggs the more I think I won't be doing it. rolleyes.gif

How mini are mini pills? blush.gif I think a stern talking to on responsibility is called for when the time comes. wink.gif biggrin.gif

Anyway mrs... keep up the good work and look after those remaining nerves your clinging to. We're all on pins and wishing you and your new babies well. xxx

#26 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2009 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE (Hermie + Pebble @ Jun 28 2009, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OMG outside from day 1!!!! Harsh!! lol only kidding, that must be hard though, mine were 6 months when I had them and didn't put them out for a while, although they are out as often as poss now. They are so small and perfect and cute and... well they're so small!! unsure.gif

It must be tempting to help them out though, How do you know when they need a hand and when they are just doing fine? The more I read on eggs the more I think I won't be doing it. rolleyes.gif

How mini are mini pills? blush.gif I think a stern talking to on responsibility is called for when the time comes. wink.gif biggrin.gif

Anyway mrs... keep up the good work and look after those remaining nerves your clinging to. We're all on pins and wishing you and your new babies well. xxx

hi i still bring them in at night in fact the place i have my hatchlings outdoors is under a cherry tree so lots of shade it doesnt see the sunshine until after lunch so thats when they go out unless it is really hot like today.all my leopards from last winter are outside enjoying the summer today.as the first hermans normally hatch around july the weather is good and they normally have at least 2 or 3 months to harden up in the natural uvb outdoors.
terry

#27 Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*

Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:54 AM

Sounds lovely- the little ones under a cherry tree! wub.gif We do love to watch them outside, and as Dawn says 'In the wild....' lol but mine have to be dug up every night without fail, and finding the buggers was fun at first. We have their spots covered now, they each have a fav place or two so can normally be found quite quickly. It's amazing how they can be running around all day, nosing into everything then the moment you mention coming in they have miraculously dissapeared. little cherubs biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

The leopards are stunning aren't they, I would love a couple of different breeds but that is way down the line, have to master one lot first. wacko.gif

So you breed both types then? aahhhh the sound of tiny claws... sooo sweet! I would love to see some hatch, have seen vids but to watch a brand new torotise emerge... wow.

xxx

#28 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:49 AM

IF mine are fetile, and IF I'm around when they start to hatch (which could be anytime in the next week) I will try and film then hatching...

I'm so nervous as not sure if they are fertile... when I looked last night I can def see veins in at least 4 of them. But egg 6 looks very dark inside so think that one may be rotten?? Also in most of them the yolk at the bottom is quite yellowy in colour and I read somewhere else that this can they are mean infertile yet one of those is one that I can clearly see veins???? I think I'm (and all of you!!) are just gonna have to wait and see what happens....

They are day 52 today from when they were laid which means they can potentially hatch at any time (or day 46 from when I incubated them) which means they could be another week or so. Though a couple of the eggs where I can see veins the dark splodges in them are still quite small??? I thought they filled the shell....??? Awwww, who knows????? Lets just keep our fingers and toes crossed and wait..........and prey........ rolleyes.gif

#29 Guest_Robink_*

Guest_Robink_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:17 PM

Dawn I am so excited for you cant wait to see the pics. Fingers crossed it wont be much longer.

#30 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:54 AM

It's more nerve wracking than waiting for a baby to be born - at least then you can be sure there's one in there!!

#31 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:38 AM

Tell me about it!!!!

Obviously I will be absolutly gutted if none hatch but at least I've had the experience of incubating for which I'm so grateful for!!!! ('Specially as this sun's got Frank's hormones a-raging!!!!) rolleyes.gif

I keep checking them but because they were in a airing cupboard for a week before I put them in the incubator they may be a bit longer.... I shall keep you all updated.... (they are due anytime now really...)

Blimey, it'll be awful having to tell you lot that they were unsuccessful.... huh.gif

#32 Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*

Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:21 PM

Blimey don't worry about us lot- it's you we're thinking of. All that work and hope and stress!! Such a shame to think some of them might not hatch.

So positive thoughts from everyone please- send them off to a small incubating corner of England where some very precious little shelled ones are hopefully on their way.

xxx

#33 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:57 PM

QUOTE (Hermie + Pebble @ Jul 2 2009, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Blimey don't worry about us lot- it's you we're thinking of. All that work and hope and stress!! Such a shame to think some of them might not hatch.

So positive thoughts from everyone please- send them off to a small incubating corner of England where some very precious little shelled ones are hopefully on their way.

xxx

i just hope they hatch soon i have got everything crossed for Dawn ,and i can hardly walk across the room(ouch)lol.
terry

#34 Guest_kaybee_*

Guest_kaybee_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:22 PM

I am sending positive thoughts......positive thoughts........positive thoughts.....positive thoughts......positive thoughts......positive thoughts.......positive thoughts...... wub.gif smile.gif x

#35 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:06 PM

awwwwww, dont! You lot will make me cry.... there u go, a tears just dripped of the end of my nose!!! Happy now???? LOL!!!! wink.gif

See this is why I love this forum...... feel the love everyone....... **group hug**

LOL to terry - so if you speak in a high voice when I see you in September I'll know why!!!!!

wub.gif

#36 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:08 PM

More positive thoughts, more positive thoughts, more positive thoughts!! wub.gif
Hang on in there sunshine.... not long now!

Paula x

#37 Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*

Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2009 - 05:42 PM

I haven't watched big brother this year... but don't feel I've missed out...

Day 37 in the Dawn Tortoise house... lol biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#38 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2009 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE (layla @ Jun 25 2009, 12:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't know about asking you to stay up all night, I was expecting you to. laugh.gif laugh.gif

But more importantly hope you've booked your paternity leave.

Emergency bag packed ready for the due date, I suggest, camp bed,sleeping bag, bucket (will leave the explanation of this one to your imagination), oh and maybe some of those food sachets that spacemen use, wouldn't like you to go hungry for us. camera, still and video, battery back-up, maybe the use of gas and air not needed, but pop chemist for some kalms. laugh.gif laugh.gif

But remember above all else, its all a natural part of motherhood, so DON'T panic. laugh.gif laugh.gif

wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

Jacqui

X

cant be long now bet you are bursting.hope you have better luck than i had!!!

#39 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2009 - 01:03 PM

Still no signs yet........

(hate to say this but it could be another week or so.... like human babies they don't always arrive when they are ment to....)

still keep everything crossed for me though...... wub.gif

#40 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2009 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE (lilacgeorge @ Jul 5 2009, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Still no signs yet........

(hate to say this but it could be another week or so.... like human babies they don't always arrive when they are ment to....)

still keep everything crossed for me though...... wub.gif

i am keeping everything crossed for you Dawn but it is very uncomfortable when walking lol.dont give up it might be days yet.i so hope you are successful but please dont be too disappointed if not .
terry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users