Keeping two together

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MrRA_*

Guest_MrRA_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:11 PM

Hi guys,

Having such a good time with my current Hermanns (only 2 years old at the moment) I was thinking or purchasing another. I keep him in a 4ft long vivarium so he has plenty of room. What I was wondering is would it be ok if I were to purchase another Hermanns or do they get aggressive when kept together?

Can you keep two different species together also as I very much like the look on leopard tortoises.

Any advice as to why this would be an ok thing to do or a situation to avoid would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Liam

#2 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:36 PM

QUOTE (MrRA @ Jun 30 2009, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi guys,

Having such a good time with my current Hermanns (only 2 years old at the moment) I was thinking or purchasing another. I keep him in a 4ft long vivarium so he has plenty of room. What I was wondering is would it be ok if I were to purchase another Hermanns or do they get aggressive when kept together?

Firstly viv's - they have been proven to cause long term damage in tortoises (TT site has information) - mainly to do with the respiratory system. My advice to you would be to change this or convert it so that it's more suitable. There was a post on here recently about a tort kept in a viv that had recently started to behave erractically and I beleive when the owner changed the viv the tort settled down. It is of course your choice, but if you want to do good by your little shelled one in the long term then I would advise you rethink the housing situation.
As for hermanns, they are not known to be an aggressive breed, however, you do need to think carefully before introducing another one. I have a mixed group and touch wood they all get on fine BUT people have had probs keeping males together.

Can you keep two different species together also as I very much like the look on leopard tortoises.

NO, NO, NO!!!!! You cannot mix breeds - apart from the breeding side of it, they have totally different requirements so NOT advisable.

Any advice as to why this would be an ok thing to do or a situation to avoid would be very much appreciated.

hope I haven't scared you off rolleyes.gif Welcome to the forum by the way!

Thank you in advance.

Liam

#3 Guest_MrRA_*

Guest_MrRA_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:26 AM

Thank you the reply, much appreciated.

I had a funny feeling that two different species could not be kept together. As for the mentioning the viv, what kind of behavioural characteristics did the tortoise in question exhibit?

For the first the two months I kept mine in nothing more than what was basically an aquarium (due to house rearrangements etc) and he seemed fine. The viv I have just purchased come with built in ventilation and I only keep the the repti-glo light on during the day rather than the heat lamp AND the repti-glo just to ensure temps to not get excessive. He has his quiet periods during the midday hours but then is quite active later on in the day and I ensure he gets plenty of exercise in the house or weather permitting a good run on the back lawn.

As I'm quite new to whole viv thing could you possibly be so kind to post a link about the info that says about vivs not being suited for a tortoise.

Thanks in advance once again.

Liam

#4 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:24 PM

Hi Liam,

Your little chap seemed fine in the aquarium... thats the thing with torts, they cant tell us how theyre feeling, they make no noises to let us know they are unhappy and there is no facial expression to give us a clue to their discomfort. We have to rely on proof of how keeping the little fellas in an unsuitable environment can cause them lasting damage, and premature death.

I don't have scientific proof that vivs are not suitable housing for torts, but what I do have is a wealth of knowledge gained from this and other forums about individual's experiences of torts kept in this way, does your little chap wander around the edges, constantly scratching at corners to get out? perhaps not yet as he is just getting used to his new home, but he will, he can't understand that he can't get to where he can clearly see through the glass. Or it could be because in his viv the correct temperatures are difficult to be maintained that will enable him to thermoregulate.
Trying to get 32C at one end and around 20C at the other is very difficult, also a drop in temps at night time is essential for torty's metobolism, again difficult to achieve in a viv. Without this the little chaps digestion system does not work as it should, which can lead to problems later.

Does anyone else have a link that Liam can use?

Have a read of the link below, this will give you some great information.
http://www.tlady.cla...Guide/Guide.PDF

Or a fabulous book by Wolfgang Wegehaupt, Naturalistic keeping and breeding of Hermann's tortoises, will give you all the information required to providing as near natural life as possible for the little chap.

Don't feel you are being judged for having a viv.... I have one, like loads of others I was sold it by the pet shop, I have converted it until I build an outside enclosure, it is not ideal, but I feel I have taken on board what I have read and tried to counteract every arguement against them... so far! Hettie can get outside via her ramp onto a table top enclosure, I have a UV light outside too.
You say you dont put both lights on together? Torty will need 12 hours of UV and heat to bask under. The run about outside will be just the job for the little chap, would you be able to make an outside enclosure? He'll love you for it... honest! wub.gif

Paula x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users