Hibernation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_kaybee_*

Guest_kaybee_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2009 - 01:10 PM

Hi Guys!
Ive been reading up lately on Hibernation, wacko.gif I know it seems early but I need to be prepared!
I think I will use the fridge method as we have a spare little fridge that I can bring in from the garage to use (it tends to defrost then refreeze outside in the winter for some reason)
I will use a thermometer etc. for taking regular readings.
I was just unsure about what to put the Tortoises in inside the fridge.
Should I use a little box with air holes?
Should they have soil in there or newspaper or nothing at all?

When people say about weighing them regularly how is this done without them waking?!

I would really appreciate it if some one could just explain the process a little more specifically than I have been able to find so far, its playing on my mind even though its 5/6 mths away, I love my babies wub.gif and dont want to do anything wrong.

Its a shame there isnt a local hibernation service that you can take your Torts to and pick them up again when they wake up!! blush.gif

Thanks alot,

K.

#2 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:31 PM

hiya

ill be watching this post aswell as it will be our first hibernation im undecided wether i will do it this year or wait till my babys are 2yrs old there about 8-9mnths at the moment, clifford and boris they are hermann tortoises.

we will also be doing the fridge method when time comes, all i know so far is to remove the seal around the fridge part way to allow air into the fridge and put them in a box (mine was going to be box with no lid) but not sure if bedding needs to be added to the box or for how long there meant to stay asleep for,

on the weighing i have managed to weigh my two when they have been asleep so im not to worried on that bit, once there asleep you just make sure the scales are there ready quickly pick them up pop them on scales then pop them straight back were you got them from ohmy.gif).

i have to admit im really scared and not looking forward to hibernation time one little bit ohmy.gif(

clair

#3 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2009 - 10:13 AM

Here's a photo iof mine in the fridge last year..

You wanna put something in the box that you will be able to see if they wee or poo (if they wee you have to bring them out of hibernation immediatly) I use ambiouse. Personally I wouldn't use soil, I tried it once and it dried out and got dusty. Some of mine like to bury down which is why I give them a deep bed.

To weigh them just take them out, weigh them and put them straight back. It wont disturb them. I do this first thing in the morning when the room temps a bit low too.

They have a wind down period before hand of anywhere between 2 - 4 weeks depending on how long your hibernating for. I hibernate mine for approx 4 mths. Give or take. This year I will be doing the same - a wind down of 4 weeks, hibernate for 4 mths. My youngest will be 2yrs old. I hibernated her last year. Although if I have any hatchlings left over they will be hibernated as well although for a shorter period.

I strongly beleive that unless your tort is ill then you should hibernate them, it is what they are programmed for. Mine start to naturally wind themselves down. I had to overwinter one last year cos she had just had an operation.

Hope this has helped a bit.... nearer the time we'll all help and support you and your little shelled ones wub.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users