hermann with worms

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_kbrown_*

Guest_kbrown_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2005 - 07:22 PM

I have 2 hermanns,who are 18 months old, they are kept in a large vivarium with a heat lamp and uvb light and also spend the warmer days in an outside enclosure.When bathing them I noticed that their poo had become quite loose and that some of the food was undigested. On closer inspection I also noticed small wriggly white creatures in the water.They have now been seen by the local vet who has tubed them with systa something but almost 2 weeks later, although the poo is firmer, the white creatures are still mixed in with it. Does this mean they still have them or does it take a little while to rid themselves after the worming treatment?

#2 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2005 - 08:32 PM

Hello Karen
Systemx is what the vet would have given your tortoise, the fact you can still see worms is that the treatment is working and expelling them from the tortoise, in the only way nature can do it :-)
Well done for promt action.
I hope your viv has no lid or doors, which ever one it has.
Arnie

#3 Guest_kbrown_*

Guest_kbrown_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2005 - 10:08 PM

Cheers Arnie, just wanted to confirm that this is what should be happening. My viv has a lid and doors but it also has a large section of the back cut away so that the air circulation is good and apart from the worms which are hopefully now in the process of being cured, both Terry and Taffy eat well, drink plenty and are active.
Karen

#4 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2005 - 08:02 AM

Hi Karen,

You really need to get your torts out of the viv, any form of viv is not good for torts at all. Go to www.tortoises.net where you will find instructions how to make your own tort table very cheaply.
Hope this helps

#5 Guest_Gwen_*

Guest_Gwen_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2005 - 01:05 PM

I have one hermanns, Sam, who is 6 years old now. When I first got him I had the same problem with worms. After a few weeks he expelled what must have been 5 - 6 large worms (twice the size of him!!) and hundreds (and I am not exagerating I promise!!)of small white worms. I thought his problems were now over but no, a few months down the line and he was poorly again. He has had problems with his eyes, respiratory problems, RNS and then lastly pneumonia which almost killed him. It has only been during the last 6 - 8 months that he has been really well and acting like a normal tortoise. I really mother Sam and I am paranoid about anything different that he does. I took him to the vet because he was holding his head at a funny angle when eating. My husband thought I was crazy (its a long drive to the vet)but it turned out it was the start of pneumonia and he was at the vets for 8 very long days where he almost died. The advice I would like to give is please be extra vigilent!! If you see anything unusual then get your torts checked out asap. Hope everything goes ok.

Gwen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users