lost half there body weight??

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:15 AM

its been a full week of boris and clifford settling into there new home i weighed them last week and again last night,

last week the weight was 50g boris 50g clifford

last night it has gone down to 26g for boris 26g for clifford

i either didnt weigh them propley last week or they have both lost half there body weight in a week HELP!! WHY!!!

they are feeding on clover/dandylions + leaves amongst other weeds that are in garden (dont know the names of them.lol)

im not going to but im wondering if the petshop was feeding them pellets?? there was fresh food in the tanks when i went to collect them but thats all i can think off they fed pellets which would put the weight on then i feed them weeds and weight drops???

what is the average weight for hatchlings born in 08??

can they have to much excerise?? my two walk all round the garden (when they decide to wake up) when i take them outside everyday, so they eat then walk so burn off what they have eaten???

can you see im clutching at straws on the weight loss im worried yet again over these lil tortoises.

what flowers/weeds will put weight on them??
is it ok for them not to feed for say a day or two?? because clifford seems so fussy on his food he will eat the clover and dandy then he will eat nothing the next day or day after then the 3rd day he will start to nibble again, boris eats anything you put in front of him..lol..

thx clair (loosing hair through worry.lol)

#2 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2009 - 02:13 PM

hi you really do need to be aware of how easy it is for hatchlings to become dehydrated.i will check what their weight should be if you can measure them accurately.you will need to know the scl(straight carapace length)first .the way i do this is with a tortoise measuring device ,but im sure if you push yours against a wall or upright surface and make a mark on the floor you can achieve the same measurement.provided their weight is within the safe boundaries we can talk about diet.
terry

#3 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:23 PM

hi terry

sorry forgot to add the length

boris is 6 1/2cm

clifford is 6cm

today boris has been eating like a horse (as per norm) cliff on the other hand just a few bites

they both get there daily baths aswell

Attached Files

#4 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE (clairiscrazy @ Jul 6 2009, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi terry

sorry forgot to add the length

boris is 6 1/2cm

clifford is 6cm

today boris has been eating like a horse (as per norm) cliff on the other hand just a few bites

they both get there daily baths aswell

hi i hope the first weight is the correct one as you can see from this graph 50g is a much healthier weight for that length.if they are only 26grams then they are both seriously underweight.perhaps you could weight them again just to be sure.daily baths are very wise and essential for most hatchlings and small juveniles just to ensure hydration.i have found that hermans do like to dig into their substrate if conditions are a little hot and dry.this years hatchlings are digging into either their soil or mine have a seperate dry hide which they prefer at times.with hermans it is a good idea to have water available that they can walk right into at their convenience.this can be a good way to tell how active they are when your not home mine normally trash the place and the water bowl is just full of mud.please let me know how you get on with the weigh in.
terry

#5 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:30 PM

sorry just a thought how are you keeping them as in lighting and temperatures also housing and in particular substrate.
terry

#6 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:12 AM

QUOTE (terrypin @ Jul 6 2009, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sorry just a thought how are you keeping them as in lighting and temperatures also housing and in particular substrate.
terry

the temps are 31 basking end and 22 cool end. both on for 12hrs

there substrate is topsoil/play sand there housing is a large guinea pig/rabbit indoor cage just over 100cm in length.

water is always available and accessable for them both plus they get there daily baths.

#7 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:54 AM

It's possible you weighed them the first time while there was a big poo ready to come out and the second time when they'd emptied. Keep an eye on their weight, but if they're eating ok (not eating every day is normal and they're all different) you'll probably find the weight start to go on. They may have been settling in. If the weight doesn't go on, they may need to be wormed. If you take them to the vet, make sure they have experience of tortoises, if not see if they can recommend one. And keep any vets bills and go back to the pet shop with them.

#8 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:55 AM

just weighed them again and well hubby pointed out ive weighed them wrong..lol..

i am using normal food scales that go up in 25g both clifford and boris are just over the 25g mark so thats not 26g is it?? its more roughly near 30g???

anyway im going to buy some digital scales for a more acurate reading they have still lost weight as they were both dead on 50g last week.

as for pooing oh yeah they are both doing that almost daily didnt realise there poops could be so big from such little tortoises,,lol.. no visible worms in there poo

#9 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE (clairiscrazy @ Jul 7 2009, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just weighed them again and well hubby pointed out ive weighed them wrong..lol..

i am using normal food scales that go up in 25g both clifford and boris are just over the 25g mark so thats not 26g is it?? its more roughly near 30g???

anyway im going to buy some digital scales for a more acurate reading they have still lost weight as they were both dead on 50g last week.

as for pooing oh yeah they are both doing that almost daily didnt realise there poops could be so big from such little tortoises,,lol.. no visible worms in there poo

hi you cant get an accurate estimate of their weight on scales that are in 25g increments.and i really dont see how a tortoise could poo half its weight in one go.if you have their length and weight correct then they are underweight.
terry

#10 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:58 PM

had a good day today regarding food intake with clifford

gave him a slightly warmer bath than normal put him back in his cage and well he munched and munched and well munched.lol. then went for a nice long sleep, before lights out in 10mins..lol.. ive placed him near the plate of food and well he surprised me again and ate another load of food wub.gif

boris has done the opposite and has hardly ate today but yesterday he did eat for england so not that worried,

another daft question here but-

can tortoises be fussy on were there food in there cages are placed??
reason being i put there weeds on a small saucer instead of on the sand/soil and well clifford has ate loads

or is it just plain coincidence?

(hopefully have some digi scales by the weekend so can moniter weight propley and accurtly and try get it back up again anyone have any tips on what food will add some weight to boris and clifford??)

#11 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:17 PM

Perhaps the little guys are just beginning to settle in to their new enclosure? Perhaps they are feeling a little safer than they did, they are funny little things!

I use a piece of slate to put food on, it helps to keep beaks and toenails trim.

In your original post you wrote that you were feeding weeds you didn't know the names of... You do realise that some weeds growing are toxic?
Have a look at the edible/toxic lists on this site, you can google image all of them for pictures.

In a minute you will be asking.... how can I stop Clifford eating so much?! biggrin.gif

Paula x

#12 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:57 AM

hi paula

yes ive got the edible weeds/flowers on my fav list for quick reference the weeds there eating are the basic dandy leaves/flowers some clover, rose petals, (nicked from the neighbours garden shhhh..lol) im feeding the basic weeds available in my garden and the odd lettuce once i get used to the names of other weeds and i find them ill try them both with them,

as for how to stop boris eating nah i dont think ill ever ask that question..lol..

they have a lil sort of rockery around there plant pot hidey hole plus there is slate around there water hole (which they still dont seem to go in) so plenty of stuff to trim there nails down with as for there beaks im hoping they will start having a go at the cuttle fish but as of yet again there not interested in it.

there both laying side by side at the moment basking under there lamp oblivous to the worry there causing me..lol..

#13 Guest_layla_*

Guest_layla_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:08 PM

Hi, I'm jacqui and I have one little hermans called Ethel,she's a 2007, just reading your post and thought I'd chip in with my little tip.

When I first had Ethel she wouldn't go into her water bath either, so I added just a few little pebbles at one end, then she seemed to be ok walking in and out of this end of the bath, then I've gradually taken them out,don't know if it will help, but certainly worked for me.

Jacqui

XXX

#14 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:34 PM

Mine love honeysuckle and nasturtium flowers

#15 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:48 PM

hiya jacqui

in there water hole there is a larger slate for them to walk over but i am now thinking wether to cover the whole bottom of it with stones as the slate doesnt cover all the bottom so maybe they dont like the bit were its a tad deeper,

ill get some stones tomorrow and pop them back in it to let them know its ok to go in..lol.. boris aint keen on his baths anyway so i hold out no hope him going into the water of his own accord..lol.. clifford seems to enjoy his so maybe once ive sorted the water he will lead the way...

another good day on the feeding front both clifford and boris eating so maybe they are settling in now rolleyes.gif my new scales will arrive on monday so will pop them straight on there and start from scratch on the weight front,

there new enclosure for outside also arrived today only took a couple of hours to build it..lol..so they can now roam round the garden without me following there every move and chasing the cats (its a 5ft voyager run/house) dont panic i know its not the perfect set-up for them outside but clifford and boris live indoors not out at the time being, when the time comes for them to be big girls/boys there outside home will be a lot better and bigger wink.gif

#16 Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*

Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:42 PM

Hi, amazing how you can worry about such little things isn't it!

If you want them to have a go at the cuttlefish rub a dandilion leaf on it, thats how I got mine to have a go at it.

Also thanks to Terry for the hatchling Jacksons. I have only seen a Jacksons for larger torts. Very happy to see mine are smack on as well, I've had mine for 5 months (seems much longer) and have got over most of the initial worries that you are going through Claire, so don't worry too much it gets better. biggrin.gif

I have worried over poo, is it enough is it too much... are they eating enough have they got enough variety, is the table too cluttered too bare... lol. and all the time they plod around oblivious to the stress...

you gotta love them wub.gif wub.gif

xxx

#17 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE (clairiscrazy @ Jul 8 2009, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
had a good day today regarding food intake with clifford

gave him a slightly warmer bath than normal put him back in his cage and well he munched and munched and well munched.lol. then went for a nice long sleep, before lights out in 10mins..lol.. ive placed him near the plate of food and well he surprised me again and ate another load of food wub.gif

boris has done the opposite and has hardly ate today but yesterday he did eat for england so not that worried,

another daft question here but-

can tortoises be fussy on were there food in there cages are placed??
reason being i put there weeds on a small saucer instead of on the sand/soil and well clifford has ate loads

or is it just plain coincidence?

(hopefully have some digi scales by the weekend so can moniter weight propley and accurtly and try get it back up again anyone have any tips on what food will add some weight to boris and clifford??)

hi sounds like your setup is ideal and you have been getting some great advice.i just noticed that you say you have been feeding directly onto the substrate ,although i know it is difficult to avoid as they tend to drag things around their enclosures.tortoises can suffer from impaction if they ingest large quantities of sand or soil mix,so although it is difficult you should make every effort to minimise the risk .personally i feed off a slate as has been mentioned but a bowl or tray is certainly safer than feeding directly on the substrate.
terry

#18 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2009 - 09:48 AM

I think it was Dawn (now busy in the delivering theatre) who put some stones in the water bowl for that very reason and one of the little ones managed to get trapped between the stones and was trapped under the water

#19 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:55 PM

thx guys for all the help and advice...

the saucer is now staying in there cage as they have done nothing but eat since ive placed the food on there..lol.. but as terry has said yes they do drag some of it off but the majority of it stays on the saucer,,,

there both outside at the moment in there new run munching on clover and soaking up the rays..

will be looking back at this post for the jacksons graph because soon as my scales turn up monday both will be plopped on and weighed.

ive yet to sort out the water hole it still has the one piece of slate in there might get get another 2 pieces and fit them sort of together so there will be no chance of the lil guys getting stuck under them unless i find a larger piece that fits inside the whole of the water hole.lol..

and ive finally found the difference between them apart from the slight size difference of course..

boris"s shell has 2 black dots on each she piece down middle row (if that makes sense)

but clifford has only one solid dot in each shell piece down the middle row

#20 Guest_layla_*

Guest_layla_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2009 - 01:48 PM

I think it was Dawn (now busy in the delivering theatre) who put some stones in the water bowl for that very reason and one of the little ones managed to get trapped between the stones and was trapped under the water

Just to clarify, I did actually say pebbles not stones for this reason, and only a few, bigger than mouth size but small enough so Ethel could move them with ease. The ones i used were about an inch in size.

jacqui.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users