good news

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_johnny_*

Guest_johnny_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2005 - 12:41 PM

Hi all
Just to let you all know that after missing for 6 weeks, by escaping from his outdoor enclosure we have found my little tort..He looks in good health, but didn't seem to be too happy about being caught.
Just in the process of making his enclosure escape proof

:-)

Johnny

#2 Guest_desertrat_*

Guest_desertrat_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2005 - 01:35 PM

great news Johnny :P  :)  :P  ;)

This just gives hope for Andy and others who have lost their torts

Rich

#3 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2005 - 01:39 PM

Hey Johnny,
Thats Brilliant News I bet your soooo Chuffed!!!!

Yours
Joanne
X
www.tortoises.piczo.com

#4 Guest_grahame_*

Guest_grahame_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2005 - 02:07 PM

great pics joanne, george & mildred are very lucky

regards grahame

#5 Guest_grahame_*

Guest_grahame_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2005 - 01:57 PM

Hi Johnny,
thats great news and very encouraging as i lost my tort on wednesday. Isn't it an awful feeling when they escape.
was he found very far away from his enclosure?

regards grahame :)  :P

#6 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2005 - 03:31 PM

Thanks Grahame,
Have you still lost your tort or did it turn up?
I lost Mildred a couple of month ago, I put Them both in a rabbit run, before i had the proper enclosure built, And they both escaped I found George But Mildred had disapeared, She was missing for 10 days we search high and low and put posters up around the nieghborhood as we have a lot of land here i thought we would never see her again, Then the girl from down the road came and she had found her in her farm yard wich was about 500 yards away, she had gone through 2 gardens and a field, I couldnt believe it! beacause she's only 8cm and she managed to walk all that way.
Theirs always hope and never give up searching!

Yours
Joanne
X
www.tortoises.piczo.com

:P

#7 Guest_grahame_*

Guest_grahame_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2005 - 05:12 PM

thanks joanne

no we havn't found him yet, i am putting up posters tonight + the neighbours all know about it. Its my own fault i let a shrub grow in his encloser next to the fence, he must've climbed out using the shub as a ladder. he's been gone 5 or 6 days now so theres still hope.
what an IDIOT i am.

regards grahame:-(

#8 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2005 - 05:48 PM

Awwww
No your not an Idiot! Its not your fault Its just one of those things, I'm sure He will turn up soon,
I will keep my fingers crossed for you & My toes. LOL
Keep us informed.

Yours
Joanne
X
www.tortoises.piczo.com

;)

#9 Guest_Libbys_*

Guest_Libbys_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2005 - 06:43 PM

Glad to hear you found your tortoise safe and well

#10 Guest_Andy_*

Guest_Andy_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2005 - 07:04 AM

This is good news, i am glad he has turned up safe & well. Keep up the good work...

#11 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2005 - 08:16 AM

Hi Graham,

You arent an idiot at all, until you've seen a tort climb you cant appreciate how well they do it.
Try looking when the sun comes up on a morning, he'll need to bask. They often like to be up against something when they sleep, so check under big stones, fences etc. Have a good look where weeds are growing too. Are you positive he got out the garden?? Could he still be there somewhere?
I hope you find him, we all have our fingers crossed and dont give up hope
Best wishes

#12 Guest_grahame_*

Guest_grahame_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:25 AM

hi Jo

I'm positive he's not in the enclosure or green house, but i'm hoping that he hasn't got out of the garden yet. It's supprising how effective their camourflage is. thanks for the advise jo, i'm going to do as you suggest.

regards grahame

#13 Guest_johnny_*

Guest_johnny_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2005 - 04:17 PM

Hi Grahame,
Believe it or not my little Herman was about 10 metres away from where he went missing, but I think he had been in other places in the garden as the area where he was found was thoroughly searched on several occasions. The garden is faily well fenced but we do get foxes so my main concern was that a predator may have taken him..
Someone suggested to me that dogs are quite good at finding Torts,if you know someone who would lend you one for a few hours it may be succesfull.

Good luck

Johnny

#14 Guest_grahame_*

Guest_grahame_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2005 - 07:44 AM

Hi Johnny

tried that one already but did not work. thanks anyway

regards grahame

#15 Guest_slowcoach_*

Guest_slowcoach_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2005 - 09:19 AM

Hi Andy - any news on your missing/stolen Tort.????

Karen L :'(

#16 Guest_Andy_*

Guest_Andy_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2005 - 01:28 PM

Hi Karen,

Nothing yet, i still have not given up hope, i still look in the garden for him, its just that i do not want to give up hope.

I will let you know if i get any news.

#17 Guest_slowcoach_*

Guest_slowcoach_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2005 - 08:04 AM

Hi Andy, sorry to hear nothing yet!! but I'm glad you are not giving up hope - are the police still investigating the 'Theft' aspect??
Also, how long had they been using the enclosure before he disappeared - just thinking that if it was fairly new - then escape routes would be apparent - also is your other Tort. still using it?? Has it made any attempts to escape??
Hope you don't mind the questions
(sorry it's the detective in me - even though I am no longer in the Job... you know what I mean....)

Karen L
:(

#18 Guest_james14_*

Guest_james14_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:26 PM

Great news,very pleased for you.
Regards
www.herefordshireminilops.net

#19 Guest_kopers_*

Guest_kopers_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:08 PM

Hi Johnny

I have just come on here because I have (this evening) lost my tortoise out of his outdoor enclosure and was going to ask if there are any tricks to finding lost tortoises. We have put notes through all the neighbours doors and had a real good search but no luck - Where did you find yours? Had he gone far? Any help and encouragement will be gratefully appreciated
:(

#20 Guest_johnny_*

Guest_johnny_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2005 - 04:33 PM

Hi Kopers
Well everyone told me not to give up, but after six weeks on the run
you don,t expect to see your tort again, especially if its a little one like ours..We found ours by chance after searching for weeks on all fours digging carefully with a garden trowel. My other half saw him walking along on some tree bark chippings under a hazel hedge in our garden..I have since made his "ranch" as we call it, hopefully escape proof but still feel aprehensive about leaving him out especially at night...so all I can say is just keep looking and hopefully you will be lucking like I was..

Johnny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users