UVA UVB BULBS

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_layla_*

Guest_layla_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:32 PM

Hi,

Can anyone help with a little advice please, I'm needing to renew my UVA/UVB tube in my indoor enclosure, and was just wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge of the compact bulbs that are on the market????

unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif

Obviously they have a smaller range than the flourescent tubes but one would suit my indoor enclosure better, but would like a little advice from your goodselves if possible, before buying one.

Thanks

Jacqui

#2 Guest_Robink_*

Guest_Robink_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:57 PM

Hi Jacqui, I use a combi bulb a mega ray, yes it is more expensive to buy but in the long run cheaper to run and it lasts longer. I think you will find a lot of use on the site use them. Hope this helps.

#3 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:48 PM

Hols up............. compact or combined......? Two totally different bulbs.........

#4 Guest_layla_*

Guest_layla_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2009 - 10:03 PM

Hi Dawn,

Hope all ok with you and yours, and 'our' little special one. wub.gif wub.gif

Compact bulbs were the ones I was interested in finding out about.

Already have spot heat bulb. currently have flourescent tube that is 6 months old, so needs replacing.

Heat bulb is doing fine.

Would love to go for the mega ray as suggested, but unfortunately funds won't stretch that far at the minute.

Jacqui

x

#5 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2009 - 10:46 PM

Hi Jacqui I haven't used one of the compact bulbs either but I know some keepers find them good. All I know is that they don't provide heat and the tortoise has to be quite near to get UVB. Might be best to sit it next to your heat lamp.

Sorry cannot be more helpful.

#6 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:33 AM

Hiya,

Me & mine are fine ta very muchly....

I used the arcadia compact fluesent tube on my tort table before I went to combined bulbs and found it worked well. They are a cheaper set-up than the tube ones as you don't need to use a starter for them and arcadia do the lamp holders, they also do the reflecter holders too which is what I used. You have to put them right near to the heat lamp though so that the tort gets the benefit of them. But you will pay 20 - 25 for the bulb, 15 for the holder and 15 for the reflector.....mmmmmmm, for that you can buy a combined.....and have change! rolleyes.gif

#7 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:11 PM

RAMBLING ABOUT LIGHTING .......

If using a combined bulb like the Megaray you need a ceramic bulb holder and shade, and most of us use a stand as well (though its possible to rig up your own way of hanging the lamp). So these costs might come into it as well and it does add up.

I think from a UV point of view something like the MegaRay will do better than a compact.

I'd be interested to know if any of us have tried the next generation of lamps - the metal halides. These give out stunning amounts of light, much nearer to the light levels in nature, but hardly any heat at all.

Before I got my torts outside this year I was using a MegaRay indoors AND a Reptisun 2 (in an arcadia holder and reflector). Why? Just to increase the amount of light (broad spectrum light not UV) and it definitely stimulated the tortoises. It had such an impact that I got a much longer tube and reflector ready for when they have to come in again. Sometimes when we think our tortoises are lethargic and lazy its probably just because from their point of view, its gloomy.

#8 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:23 PM

Wow! That's an interesting find Oz, just when we think we have it sussed something new to think about! wacko.gif Definately worth knowing! biggrin.gif

Paula x

#9 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE (Ozric @ Aug 2 2009, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
RAMBLING ABOUT LIGHTING .......

If using a combined bulb like the Megaray you need a ceramic bulb holder and shade, and most of us use a stand as well (though its possible to rig up your own way of hanging the lamp). So these costs might come into it as well and it does add up.

I think from a UV point of view something like the MegaRay will do better than a compact.

I'd be interested to know if any of us have tried the next generation of lamps - the metal halides. These give out stunning amounts of light, much nearer to the light levels in nature, but hardly any heat at all.

Before I got my torts outside this year I was using a MegaRay indoors AND a Reptisun 2 (in an arcadia holder and reflector). Why? Just to increase the amount of light (broad spectrum light not UV) and it definitely stimulated the tortoises. It had such an impact that I got a much longer tube and reflector ready for when they have to come in again. Sometimes when we think our tortoises are lethargic and lazy its probably just because from their point of view, its gloomy.

hi i agree here ,with my leopard hatchlings indoors i use a megaray but have additional lighting .i have a daylight tube runs the full length of their table ,i find this does stimulate them and they are active when indoors and use the whole of their table.
terry

#10 Guest_layla_*

Guest_layla_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:11 PM

I bought a Repti-Glo 5.0 compact bulb yesterday, what can i say, it is so much brighter than a forescent tube, covering i would say the same area but a lot brighter, obviously the uvb rays are in a more restricted area, but i have it set up so it is shining on the same area as Ethels basking spot.

I cannot believe the difference in Ethel in 24 hours, to describe her as hyperactive would be an understatement.

I have her in a tort table in the house while i'm at work, covered in mesh (originally designed to put her outside when she was smaller, without disturbing her housing), well, because it was designed for outdoors it is covered in mesh to protect her from preditors, how pleased was I, her little head came out of the mesh which is 7" from the base, if the mesh hadn't have been there she would have fallen from the table from a height of about 3 feet. Well world it's official I have a climber!!!!

I know the compact bulb, the heat bulb and the indoors are not the perfect set up for my little one, but she is outdoors in her new run as often as is possible,and I feel that at least this way I can give her the uvb and heat she requires.

Jacqui

x

#11 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE (layla @ Aug 3 2009, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bought a Repti-Glo 5.0 compact bulb yesterday, what can i say, it is so much brighter than a forescent tube, covering i would say the same area but a lot brighter, obviously the uvb rays are in a more restricted area, but i have it set up so it is shining on the same area as Ethels basking spot.

I cannot believe the difference in Ethel in 24 hours, to describe her as hyperactive would be an understatement.

I have her in a tort table in the house while i'm at work, covered in mesh (originally designed to put her outside when she was smaller, without disturbing her housing), well, because it was designed for outdoors it is covered in mesh to protect her from preditors, how pleased was I, her little head came out of the mesh which is 7" from the base, if the mesh hadn't have been there she would have fallen from the table from a height of about 3 feet. Well world it's official I have a climber!!!!

I know the compact bulb, the heat bulb and the indoors are not the perfect set up for my little one, but she is outdoors in her new run as often as is possible,and I feel that at least this way I can give her the uvb and heat she requires.

Jacqui

x

sounds like your doing a great job.im not familiar with the lighting you use but it certainly sounds like things have improved since you changed.
terry

#12 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:40 PM

Blimey blink.gif Ethel was lucky!! Certainly does sound like she has had a new lease of life!! Technology changes sooooo quickly!! wacko.gif

Paula x

#13 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE (layla @ Aug 3 2009, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hi sorry duh me i read your post a while ago but being new to all of this didnt think i had the experince to comment on bulbs..

but the light you have is the same as the one i use can i ask what w it is? mine is the repti glo 10.0 compact 13w (suppose to last 12mnths) i was thinkig of going to the next higher w but at the moment betty and boris are happy bombing around, they too go outside almost everyday so no need to worry about the uv rays outside..lol..

also i too have it positioned right by the basking light so they get the heat and rays all at the same time..lol.. (there food bowl is there aswell so they munch and catch rays )

#14 Guest_layla_*

Guest_layla_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:56 PM

Hi

I bought the Repti Glo 5.0 but had the bigger 26w bulb. Have to say Ethel is still bombing around and I would recommend this bulb over a flourescent tube anyday.

I have noticed a vast improvement in her behaviour, which can only be for the better.

When I originally set up my indoor housing I was told that a 5% bulb would be ok, I have stayed with this advice but have gone for the bigger bulb as I was worried about the range of uv's. (obviously a flourescent tube covers a larger distance than a compact bulb).

I am still convinced that this change in uv's and indeed the brightness of the enclosure is all for the better. And to be honest was cheaper than renewing my flourescent tube.

Hope this helps.

Jacqui

x

#15 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:26 PM

This thread has become really useful. Some time in the near future I'm certain to get one of these metal halide lamps and I'll share whatever I learn from it. They are said to be the next big thing in reptile lighting.

#16 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:01 PM

Hi Jacqui,

Hettie's lamp is due to be changed next month and I am considering trying the one you bought for Ethel. Hettie has never been very active, I can't use the combined bulb in the converted you know what... as the heat gradient is not good enough unless she sits outside away from her lamp! The heat bulb I use allows for the correct temperatures to be maintained so I don't want to change anything there.
I don't mean to be a stoop but can you tell me the difference between the 13W and the 26W (no clever 13W replies please rolleyes.gif )
They use less electric? Are they less bright? Do they not shine as far? Oh, and about how far away from torty do they need to be?
Thanks for all replies!

Paula x

#17 Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*

Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:26 PM

My combined lamp packed up today- bit miffed only had it since feb and they are out as much as poss so not on for 12 hours a day ever! I have a back up heat lamp so be ok for a bit, and the good old S.U.N. might put in a appearance if we're lucky. wink.gif

Oh well, guess I'll be shelling out (lol couldn't resist) again.

xx

#18 Guest_layla_*

Guest_layla_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:42 PM

I will resist with the 13W answer. laugh.gif laugh.gif

As far as the difference goes, the 13W is a smaller bulb, about the size of a candle bulb, the 26W bulb is the size of a large spot heat bulb,how this affects the uv's i don't actually know, sorry.

I went for the repti glo 5.0 26W but only because it was a bigger bulb and thought it would cover a larger area.

The box says it lasts up to a year and is effective up to 12 inches away. I paid 17.49 for mine.

They also do a 10.0 both 13w and 26w which says up to 20 inches away.

You might need to invest in some sunglasses, because they are bright, boy are they bright.

As for the cost of running I'm presuming that as i use it in a desk lamp, it only consumes the same as a normal 26w low energy light bulb, but wouldn't like to promise that as i really don't know.

I know I keep saying it, but am convinced this has changed her behaviour, she climbs and mooches around, right up until bedtime, bless her.

Hope this helps.

Jacqui

x

#19 Guest_xsammie89x_*

Guest_xsammie89x_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:02 AM

im so glad ive read this post, its confusing when you dont have a clue about any bulbs when everyone else knows a lot because if worda are rolled off and you dont quite understand it just goes straight over my head lol

I was expecting to pay around 70+ for a bulb and now ive just realised that i can only pay 20.

I am hoping to not have to spend as much money on the accessories, ive got my younger brother to make me a table, hes a trainee joiner so i gave him 20 because it looks lovely. ive also got a bit of slate for the food and to trim down the torts beak off a friend who works on a building site and grandad is a gardener so is going to give me some top soil and a couple of plant pots and im done. just need a water dish now i think.. and of course the tort.

In no rush for it all tho id rather get the environment set up just right for it. smile.gif

#20 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:29 PM

Ooooh thanks Jacqui! That has cleared up lots of questions. smile.gif

Just a word for sammie, you do realise that with this bulb you will need a seperate heat bulb too? Don't feel silly asking questions, that's the idea, we are all learning from each other all of the time! biggrin.gif

Paula x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users